[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - The guts of what's wrong with Baptist fundamentalism

The guts of what's wrong with Baptist fundamentalism

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

The guts of what's wrong with Baptist fundamentalism

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed May 30, 2018 6:26 am

From the current Oxford American magazine founded by seedmoney of the grand Baptist John Grisham

https://www.oxfordamerican.org/magazine ... -certainty
Stephen Fox

Re: The guts of what's wrong with Baptist fundamentalism

Postby Sandy » Wed May 30, 2018 8:32 am

Sandy

Thanks Sandy

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed May 30, 2018 8:28 pm

While we're making nice you highlighted a key section.

I was reading along, just read it once so far, but I think she soars in the conclusion with her mystical allegory about the Holocaust and the wet nurse cloth.

Have you read Molly Marshall piece on Paige. It wasnt vindictive but in some sense you could call it Molly's Revenge. I think she nails it, and them too, Paige and Al.

Selective Inerrancy.
Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Wed May 30, 2018 9:58 pm

https://baptistnews.com/article/the-per ... w9YmUxFzIU

Here's Marshall's piece. While I would tend to disagree with her assessment of inerrancy, like any other theological perspective, including progressive liberalism, it can be twisted to accomodate personal agendas. As a denomination, the vast majority of Southern Baptists hold to inerrancy, and a complimentarian view of the roles of men and women in the church, as do most Evangelicals. Personal ambition, and the backward, quirky structure of the SBC caused this more than any particular Bible interpretation or theological perspective did. The idea that women should submit to abusive husbands, and stay in relationships as a means of Biblical submission to them is an abberation of the Biblical principle. But I think Marshall keeps her comments in that vein, and doesn't lose the focus on Patterson, nor does she miss the point with Al Mohler. She does an excellent job at saying, "I told you so" without overstating her point.
Sandy

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:44 pm

I thought Molly's piece on selective inerrancy was superb. Molly and I were classmates at SBTS, and I read everything she writes from the perspective of one who has counted her as a friend for 40+ years. She probably did more to change my thinking about women preachers and the ordination of women than anyone else I know. She didn't set out to change me, but I had to adjust my theology to come to terms with the obvious work of God I saw in her. In the fall of 1974, my first year of seminary, we got a phone call right after we got home from church one Sunday from my wife's parents, telling us that her then 86 year old grandfather had made a public profession of faith in Christ that morning at Lookout Avenue Baptist Church in Gadsden AL and that he was being baptized that night. It was unexpected, wonderful news that was almost too much to absorb. It was a beautiful day, and we got out of our cramped apartment in Judson Hall and went for a walk on campus, pretty much looking for anybody we could share our news with. We met Molly walking across the Josephus Bowl and stopped her to tell her about Marilyn's grandfather. The tears were flowing freely down her face as she embraced both of us and spontaneously offered a beautiful prayer of thanksgiving for the salvation of a white-haired old man in Alabama she had never met.
Lamar Wadsworth

Location: Rockmart GA (on a slippery slope, between Aragon and VanWert, 6 miles SW of Taylorsville)

Return to SBC News and Trends