[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Is this the SBC's annus horribilis?

Is this the SBC's annus horribilis?

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Is this the SBC's annus horribilis?

Postby William Thornton » Sun May 27, 2018 3:47 am

Reposted here in full:

My apologies to Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, from whose 1992 speech I borrowed the Latin phrase. The royal family had a number of personal difficulties that year...and Windsor Castle caught fire. Sometimes royalty, even in the SBC, has difficulty.

In the Grand Old Southern Baptist Convention we'd like to catch a different kind of fire but it looks like we will have to deal with extensive damage first. To Americanize annus horribilis, try Judith Viorst's 1972 children's book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. All of those descriptors work well. Some of the seminarians who were in pull-ups had that read to them (while Beth Moore was getting up early and doing serious Bible study).

...which gets to the SBC's crisis with Paige Patterson, a rape victim pressured not to report and then placed on seminary probation herself, the Southwestern Seminary trustee's marathon session to deal with the aftermath...and all that. I hope there are no additional incidents that involve PP but neither he nor SWBTS trustees are likely finished. Start with the convention sermon (I cannot in good conscience support continuing with that, though I own up to favoring it prior to the rape case, which was a dealbreaker for me), and the possibility of deep drama from the opening gavel of the convention. And, Patterson is the chairman of the high profile Evangelism Task Force that will report. Imagine the optics of him standing with the all-male group at this convention.

SWBTS trustees could get in front of things if they disclosed the salary and expenses budgeted for the President Emeritus along with whether or not they are contractually obligating Southern Baptists to these expenses and for how long. All SBC entities ought to publish at least a salary range for their executive leadership. We've had people speculating that PP receives a seven-figure salary, which is surely way beyond the actual figure. It's our money. Put it out there. There's no good reason not to.

If last year's SBC annual meeting app, the social media part of it, was a cesspool of alt-right, vicious anti-Russ Moore tweets, what might this year's social media bring?

...which, when I think of Southern Baptists and social media/blogs and the like, all week last week felt like the deep blue funk of the Monday morning after my worst Sunday as a pastor.

We like winners and losers in our convention whether the question is an election, a theological debate, or whatever, but count me as one who is saddened by the catastrophic events surrounding Rick Patrick, SBC Today, the FaceBook 316 Roundtable page, and the Connect 316 group. SBC Today is one of the longrunning, venerable Southern Baptist blogs. How did it get to the place it is now? I understand backing candidates and theological positions and all that. It's part of our SBC DNA. But promoting the lawsuits against SBC entities and talk show tinfoil hat tripe? What confirmed Trad wants to have to swallow all that along with the useful and respectable theological discussions? There is a useful place for theological sub-groups in our convention. We need those places. It's healthy for us as a loose association of 50k churches and a few million believers.

The Roundtable, which allowed me to participate, was a morass of political diatribes, conspiracy nonsense, talk show claptrap sprinkled with occasional serious, useful discussions. Too bad you get defined by your worst stuff and I don't think I have ever seen in SBC life as contrite and profuse an apology as that of Rick Patrick. I wouldn't want to be remembered for my worst two minutes online and I hope he is not.

For once, and this is my opinion from afar, it looks like Al Mohler is behind the curve. He said he wasn't expecting this mess. I'm interested to see how he deals with it.

The 2018 SBC presidential election ought to have been a second proud moment for the SBC but it isn't. I find no fault with Ken Hemphill but now we are in a place where state convention leaders been open about having chosen sides, the guy that baptizes over 700 per year is trashed for faulty soteriology, and the largest CP giver in one of our major state conventions is said to be neo-societal and not fully cooperative. Hemphill, unfortunately, is bound to some of his less attractive supporters but this is no way to have a campaign.

Add to all that Frank Page's resignation, right when we need some leadership the most, along with another high profile resignation at Southeastern Seminary.

Bad year, and it's only May. Mohler calls it God's judgment poured out. I'd call it that plus chickens coming home to roost.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Is this the SBC's annus horribilis?

Postby William Thornton » Sun May 27, 2018 3:53 am

Plenty more drama to come. I had already planned to attend the SBC annual meeting June 11/12 in Dallas. A considerable segment of SBCers loves train wrecks. We've got several.

The broad result of the Patterson mess, seems to me, is that it makes generational change easier. That and making it harder to achieve any progress with the Cooperative Program.

Should make it easier for the few hundred mod/lib churches to finally cut the cord.
William Thornton
Site Admin

I think Thornton erased my comment

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun May 27, 2018 10:08 am

I do not appreciate it and expect better.

For those who want a taste of the truth Thornton erases, check the facebook conversations of Alan Bean on the Paige Matter. His post about his recent walk across the SWBTS Campus and Oliver North fiasco appearance at Ed Youngs 2nd Houston.

bean so far is notdeleting any comments just cause they don't fit his version of things.
Stephen Fox

My apologies

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun May 27, 2018 10:10 am

Apparently Thornton now has two Latin Annus threads going now.
Stephen Fox

Re: Is this the SBC's annus horribilis?

Postby William Thornton » Sun May 27, 2018 12:09 pm

...cuz it's twice as good as anything you've got.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Don't go talking about my cousins

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun May 27, 2018 1:05 pm

I'll put my up against yours any day other than maybe one of your bush league baseball contests :brick:

Just kiddin....Are you followin Charlie Culberson with the Braves. Got a family story there to share if I havent told you already. And if you get up to SC, Greenville any time later this year, do go in Judson Bookstore on Main St right beside the Westin. They have a Furman connection now and feature reprints of Marshall Frady's Wallace bio. Not hard to find when you walk in the door in the Old Historic courthouse where they tried Willie Earle, his lynchers rather in 46
Stephen Fox

Return to SBC News and Trends