Cooperative Program: Declining or Increasing?

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Cooperative Program: Declining or Increasing?

Postby Sandy » Tue May 08, 2018 11:44 am

I guess it depends on who you ask.

Ken Hemphill, Candidate for SBC President 2018 wrote:He named a decline in Cooperative Program giving, both in dollars and percentages, as one of those concerns and said his focus is “revitalizing our denominational partnerships.”

But according to retired Georgia pastor William Thornton,

http://sbcvoices.com/its-lost-in-all-th ... ram-is-up/

I guess both can sort of be right. Overall, as part of a trend, the CP is down from its peak. But this year, the giving is running ahead of projections, and a bit ahead of the previous year. It does look like Hemphill is addressing the decline as a campaign issue.

It does appear that some state conventions are moving toward kicking in a bit more each year, though that process seems slow, except among the conservative conventions in Virginia and Texas, that lack the bureaucratic infrastructure which needs support. Most of the state conventions seem to be experiencing an overall downturn in CP giving from churches, which makes that an uphill battle. If "mission support" is a campaign issue, that ought to work in Greaar's favor.
Sandy

Re: Cooperative Program: Declining or Increasing?

Postby William Thornton » Tue May 08, 2018 11:55 am

We can both be right. The CP's decline is decades long. I'd describe it now as "flat." The article of mine you linked is just the national part. It is slightly increasing partly because states have stopped keeping over 60% of the offering.

I don't see much that has a chance of persuading churches to increase their CP giving. I see a good bit that would persuade them to give less.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Return to SBC News and Trends