EBCI and others

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

EBCI and others

Postby Joseph Patrick » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:59 pm

From Gerry Milligan,

Jon Estes, I just heard that all evangelical congregations in Dubai which are meeting in venues not provided by the government would be closed. Is this true? How will it affect EBCI and Fellowship of the Emirates? Praying
Joseph Patrick

Re: EBCI and others

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:52 am

Gerry -

We are working through this as best we can. We will be shifting to DECC (Jabel Ali) this Friday or Saturday. We do not know what time slot we will be given, so we are waiting to find that out.

We appreciate all the prayers we can get.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:09 am

Gerry - If you don't mind me asking... How did you find out?
Jon Estes

Postby KeithE » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:16 am

What is EBCI?
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:33 am

KeithE wrote:What is EBCI?

My church.

Emirates Baptist Church International, Dubai - UAE
Jon Estes

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:26 am

Praying for you and the congregation.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:34 pm

Jon Estes wrote:Gerry - If you don't mind me asking... How did you find out?

From Gerry,
The staff of church we attend in Portland are all tied to Capitol Hill Baptist in Washington,D.C. as are several of the staff at DECC. John F. asked our church for prayer.
Joseph Patrick

Postby Haruo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:29 pm

I'm interested in the government's rationale for this decision. Is it a security thing, or religiously motivated, or what?
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:36 pm

Joseph Patrick wrote:

From Gerry,
The staff of church we attend in Portland are all tied to Capitol Hill Baptist in Washington,D.C. as are several of the staff at DECC. John F. asked our church for prayer.

Thanks,

I am planning on meeting with John F today (Tuesday). If we cannot get an exception so we can remain in the villa, we are out a little more than a 1/4 million Dhs in prepaid rent.

Johns a great guy and though they are at DECC, he is our go to person... which means he is probably getting a lot of calls in these emotional times.

We are good with whatever happens. Isaiah 60:1-2 is our go to verse. We want to stay where we are as you can imagine. Fellowship gets to not make the move as quickly due to some permits given prior to announcement but in about 60 days they have to comply. That’s 3000 people. DECC cannot handle that number at one time. Gateway is about 2000. Redeemer is about 1500.

Interesting times. Prayers are appreciated.
Jon Estes

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:41 pm

Haruo wrote:I'm interested in the government's rationale for this decision. Is it a security thing, or religiously motivated, or what?

Security seems to be a major part. This is probably the safest place to live in the ME but it is still the ME.

The UAE does an excellent job keeping us safe. We love this place and the people here. It’s not the US but I feel I may be more safe here. The difference is not a negative, it is a great way to enjoy life... other than the summer heat... but that’s not the countries fault. Weather now is awesome.

Come visit. Get that bl.com get together to meet here.
Jon Estes

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:43 pm

Joseph Patrick wrote:

From Gerry,

Gerry,

Nadim Bardawil was at our LifeGroup last night, I asked if he remembered you. He did... rattled off about Al Ain and nursing. He said hello.
Jon Estes

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:44 pm

Dave Roberts wrote:Praying for you and the congregation.

Thanks Dave. We appreciate all the prayers lifted.

Isaiah 60:1-2
Jon Estes

Postby Jon Estes » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:46 pm

We have been given our day and time window for space at DECC. I will share that after I share with church fa,ily. I want them to be the first to know.the following is the first letter sent to inform our church family that things were changing.

Church Family and Friends,

We are approaching some of the greatest times in the life of EBCI. They will be trying times and that is fine as God will better prepare us for the greater work ahead. Please take time to read this email closely and use it as a prayer guide. Your prayers are requested and needed right now. Maybe more than any other time in the life of EBCI.

EBCI is committed to respecting and working within the parameters set before us, as we are guests in this great country. Beginning immediately, we will no longer be able to meet in the villa for church and ministry meetings as we have been blessed with for the past, almost, 22 years. This is not something that affects EBCI alone but all Christian churches in Dubai. We, like our sister churches and their leadership, are working diligently to secure a time slot at DECC. Please note, there are many churches and not many time slots in what we like to consider church meeting time. Our normal Friday times will not be our new meeting times. As soon as those are provided to us, we will let you know. Please keep an eye out for emails from me to keep you as up to date as we are. I know many of you will have questions and it is our heart's desire to answer any and all. What I hope you understand is that we do not have all the answers but are committed to keeping the information flowing, so you are as up to date on the information as we are. If you need to ask a question, please contact your family Deacon.

I need from each of you to commit to being faithful to EBCI and the work we do during this transition. It will create difficulty for some, as DECC is much further for you. Please be committed to your place and part in your church (EBCI). Your leadership team is working on securing means to provide transport if needed. More than likely, we will be provided a time slot that will be when the metro is operational this is a wonderful thing.

Here are the specifics I am asking you to pray for starting as soon as you get this email.

PRAY FOR

· Your Pastor and leaders as they work through all the nuances we are facing.
· Each ministry of the church as we develop and discover new ways to meet the needs of God’s great people of EBCI.
· The most optimal time for us to be given for us to meet at DECC.
· God to use this challenge to make us love Him more and experience greater things of God among us.
· The financial resources to make this move and continue ministry as we work to fulfill our calling.

This we know also… The church cannot be stopped. God is still on the throne, God is up to doing something greater than ever among us.

In closing, I am asking directly that you remain faithful to your church and not to a traditional time slot during the week.

I Love His Church… Her People… Our God

Jon L. Estes

Senior Pastor

EBCI
Jon Estes

Postby Jon Estes » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:51 pm

The following is our Tuesday letter giving more information.

EBCI Tuesday News –

I want to thank each of you for your prayers and heartfelt expressions of love. Your leadership is working diligently to accomplish all that is being asked of us. Please pray for them specifically. The following may be repetitive to some, but we want to make sure our church family has all the news we have on this necessary shift.

Here is a list of things we know…

· We are relocating as a church family to DECC in Jabel Ali.
· All Evangelical churches in Dubai who are under the Evangelical Church are being required to do the same.
· We have submitted our request for meeting space and time and should have that information sometime this afternoon.
· If it is a time when the Metro is running, we will provide a bus transport from the Ibn Battuta Metro Station to and from DECC.
· We are a strong church family and we believe God was not caught off guard with this.
· We will be good and in the long run, better for having to make any required adjustments.
· For the immediate future, all church ministries are put on hold until we know how and when we can put them back into operation.
· For the present time, the church offices will remain at the villa. This is for study… Administration for the shifting… and being together to get information out to you, our church family.

Your church family needs you to be committed to the church as we make the necessary adjustments. I need you to be committed to the church as we make the necessary adjustments. You are EBCI and we can and will do this together as family. Thank you for being all in.

Please share this information with others you know who are a part of EBCI. We are discovering that we do not have all the email addresses of our family and we do not want anyone to go unnotified. Contact your deacon by email with any questions.

Jon L. Estes
Senior Pastor
Emirates Baptist Church International
Dubai, UAE
Jon Estes

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:32 am

Our new digs, come Saturday. We will now be having church on Saturdays.

2018-02-21-PHOTO-00000202.jpg

2018-02-21-PHOTO-00000200.jpg

2018-02-21-PHOTO-00000204.jpg

2018-02-21-PHOTO-00000199.jpg

2018-02-21-PHOTO-00000198.jpg
Jon Estes

Postby Sandy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:18 am

I hope that doesn't negatively affect your worship or your congregation. Do you fit in the space?
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:02 am

May this prove a provision for needs in the journey.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:19 am

Sandy wrote:I hope that doesn't negatively affect your worship or your congregation. Do you fit in the space?

Size is 2-3 times greater. Cost weekly is around 1/2 million Dirhams (135,000.00 USD) in savings. The distance and day change will hit us. Many of our people work Saturdays.

Three churches will be meeting simultaneously. Not uncommon here so shouldn’t be problematic.
Jon Estes

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:22 am

Dave Roberts wrote:May this prove a provision for needs in the journey.

We hurt for those whose jobs will prevent them from coming. May start second campus in different Emirates on Friday come August. Our current move is required for those meeting in Dubai Emirates.

Lots of work... prayer... rethinking how to minister with new schedule.

Prayers appreciated.
Jon Estes

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:36 pm

Wow Jon! What a load for you all in this transition. I'll be praying for you and your church in a time of change!

Tim
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:06 pm

Jon Estes wrote:Our new digs, come Saturday. We will now be having church on Saturdays.

From Gerry Milligan,

Jon, will there be a problem restoring the villa to it's original state? And, I notice from the picture, that parking is still a problem at DECC. I hope that does not keep people from worshiping.
Joseph Patrick

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:27 pm

Tim Bonney wrote:Wow Jon! What a load for you all in this transition. I'll be praying for you and your church in a time of change!

Tim

Thank you Tim. I have been involved with a church relocation before but it took months of planning... endless meetings and then we still faced the stress of a chosen move.

This is 5 days to move people, not the stuff. We have window after this week to take care of that but most we will use what the compound center has, so our stuff may be sold... who knows right now.
Jon Estes

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:35 pm

Joseph Patrick wrote:
Jon Estes wrote:Our new digs, come Saturday. We will now be having church on Saturdays.

From Gerry Milligan,

Jon, will there be a problem restoring the villa to it's original state? And, I notice from the picture, that parking is still a problem at DECC. I hope that does not keep people from worshiping.

Gerry... Hopefully Saturday morning parking will not be terrible. We are offering bus service from villa to compound, that will help. Also will offer shuttle bus from closest metro station (Ibn Battuta) to compound. This is being given free from a blessed Christian man.

Villa will need to be returned to residence if landlord wants.

Voted on budget Friday with none of this in it, as this was initiated on Sunday.

No complaints. There are safety issues in country right now and this is a part of the government addressing that safety concerns straight on. We thank them for their push to keep all who are here for the right reasons safe.
Jon Estes

Postby Jon Estes » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:51 am

It was a great day of worship. Good crowd. About 100 down, which we expected due to short notice and work schedules not being able to be adjusted.

These are the greatest people.

A2E6B23F-585C-4FDC-B005-EDED0A01AA29.jpeg

B980DB72-D8D7-4570-A80D-79438B96078D.jpeg
Jon Estes

Postby Sandy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:16 pm

Hopefully, over time, the adjustments can be made and people can get back. It sounds like this is a permanent move for you. Looks like a nice facility, at any rate.
Sandy
Sandy

Next

Return to SBC News and Trends