[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Two candidates for SBC President, 2018

Two candidates for SBC President, 2018

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Two candidates for SBC President, 2018

Postby Jim » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:31 pm

Jim

Postby Haruo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:39 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:55 pm

One thing some SBC folks seem to find troubling is not about Ken Hemphill personally. Rather it is the fact that some “Southern Baptists who are concerned about the direction of the Convention…asked that he allow his name to be placed before the Convention for consideration.” Some of the names in the press release are likely viewed as “Anti-Cals” (some perhaps “rabid”). So, the fact that some of these “Anti-Cals” say they sought him out troubles some folks.
Rvaughn

Postby William Thornton » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:42 pm

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:35 pm

Yeah, it worked last time, why not again?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:37 pm

Is there a good set of Arminian/Free-Will principles that acrostically spell out PANSY? That could be useful in this fight. For which side I'm not sure.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:40 pm

It can be fun reading up on the Bitcoins of the 1630s, namely . Not sure exactly what the Lord's point was in preordaining that particular acronym.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:29 pm

Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby John Sneed » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:20 pm

I will tell you all something funny. I forget if it was 1998 or 99, but I was at the Midwest Founders Conference being held at FBC St. Peters, Missouri. A friend and I were having lunch and talking about this very topic. He thought sooner or later, there was going to be a fight. I told him, "It'll never happen. Calvinists and Arminians (the term we were using at the time) had been in the SBC together from the start." I said, "They may rub each the wrong was from time to time, but they won't fight." I felt there was too much historical precedent for Calvinists and non-Calvinists treating each other like beloved brothers and sisters that they would never hold such animosity against each other. All this proves definitively that I am neither a prophet nor the son of a prophet. Now, I meet people who actually think a Calvinist and a Satan worshipper is the same thing. I have seen writers advocate that every Calvinist in the SBC be denied fellowship for being non-Christians. To say I am surprised by all this would be an understatement. I never saw this coming.

John Sneed
John Sneed

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:20 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:02 am

Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Jim » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:47 am

Jim

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:36 am

I'd assess Dave's comment above as very solid.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:43 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:38 pm

I won't comment other than to say it is just interesting reading to see what directions the SBC has gone post takeover.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:44 pm

It's interesting to see the back-and-forth here of those who discuss doctrine, theology, whatever, not least because the opinions are often if not most of the time diametrically opposed, though all have studied the same bible/scriptures and/or graduated with various degrees from seminaries. I was raised Southern Baptist but moved to CBF mainly on the woman-ordination thing. I fear the CBF is heading down the same road as the main-liners while the SBC stands steadily on biblical principles, though the Calvinism (or most of it) is anathema to me. The layman has only the translations of the Bible to study and decide what he believes. I finally did that taking into account the writers, time-frames, canonizing, etc., and using a good concordance(s) and even a Greek NT translated into English. I set about writing my own “unlearned” theology, unencumbered by seminary influences. It turned into a book predicated mostly on the illogical morass of the Abstract of Principles, also (to me) a theological nightmare. I am certain no one in this forum would be interested in the book, found here: , but might perhaps find something thought-provoking in my discussion of the Abstract, which is attached.
Attachments
abstract.doc
(79.5 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
Jim

Postby Haruo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:07 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:42 pm

I could have gotten a Japanese translation but it wouldn't have been much help.
Jim

Postby Sandy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:12 pm

Sandy

Previous

Return to SBC News and Trends