[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Lifeway pulls book when author recants experience

Lifeway pulls book when author recants experience

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Lifeway pulls book when author recants experience

Postby Sandy » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:29 pm

http://www.christianpost.com/news/boy-w ... es-132646/

This sort of subjective "I went to heaven" testimony is certainly questionable. I've read a couple of this type of book, and actually went to hear one author. While I don't want to deny their experience as being made up, I think a lot of what they experienced came from their subconscious, and wasn't actually a trip to heaven. Of course, with the potential for making money in the Christian media business, it is entirely possible that the first few people out with this stuff used it to cash in and retire comfortably.
Sandy

Re: Lifeway pulls book when author recants experience

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:32 pm

Tyndale knew about the situation for a long time and did nothing. Christian publishing is a bit of a scandal these days.

Never liked the heaven tourism books...piles of junk mostly.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:09 pm

Must be hard getting people to believe you with a last name like Malarkey.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:57 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:51 am

What a sad chapter taking in the gullible once more.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:16 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Jerry_B » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:08 pm

When striving to be current, don't be surprised when you get zapped.

Back in the old Baptist Bookstore days, I don't remember there being a whole lot of books of these types even available for sale. I could be wrong, but I remember shelves of commentaries, some music and lots of bibles and more Sunday school supplies than Carter has liver pills (dad taught me that one). Doesn't mean it was better "back in the day", just seems like bad books are going to happen when you're trying to appeal to a wider "Christian" audience.
Jerry_B

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:02 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Lou » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:42 pm

One of the things that bothers me about these so-called "Heaven tourism" books is the hold that they have on Christian people (who really ought to know better) vis-à-vis the assurance of heaven. After reading Heaven Is For Real, a Christian told me that there was enough evidence in that book to convince anyone of the reality of heaven. To which I said, "Shouldn't the scriptural testimony about the matter be enough?" Luke 16:29-31 apply here, I think.
Lou

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:19 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:03 pm

Back in the "old" Baptist bookstore days, most of the books they carried were published by Broadman or Convention Press. Their mission and purpose of "serving those who serve churches" put them in the business of providing books to study in order to preach or teach Sunday School, or to supplement the church training program. Remember the plethora of "study course" books?

The recent phenomenon of inspirational and recreational reading, including what I call "theology lite" is what sells now. After all, if you go to the mega church down the road, the only Bible study book you need is the one your pastor authored, right? :wink:
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:17 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Return to SBC News and Trends