[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - SBC State Annual Meetings Etc...

SBC State Annual Meetings Etc...

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Here in Bama

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:06 pm

The SBC will most likely have a resolution on the new Billboard in Leeds posted by the Southern League. It made a ten minute segment this morn on Regional NPR. Says something to the effect Anti Racism is Anti-White. Big Sign on I-20 as you come in from Atlanta
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: SBC State Annual Meetings Etc...

Postby Haruo » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:03 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jerry_B » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:04 pm

My point is about the touted independence of the smaller SBC conventions, not the sincerity of the workers. There is a company line so to speak that is expected to adhered to if you want to continue to receive funding. It goes beyond just affirming the 2000 BF&M. I'm also not saying this is a bad thing or done in a sneaky way, you sign up with NAMB you should know what is expected because they make it clear. It just riles me when it is called independent, when clearly it isn't.

Im not making claims based on conjecture or here say, I have sat in meetings when NAMB supported, state convention employees have threatened to remove support from the association if, as an association, we refused to affirm a new emphasis on church planting. Also told in same meeting that if we refused, they come in and do said church planting anyway.
Jerry_B

Postby William Thornton » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:32 pm

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Jerry_B » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:05 pm

I left the smal convention, even smaller association and haven't worked with NAMB since. I live in Texas, lots more options. I don't disagree that they should have say, just seems the independent thing comes up, only when there are problems and they need to separate themselves from said problem, they don't actu believe in it.
Jerry_B

Postby Sandy » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:10 pm

Sandy

Postby Jerry_B » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:11 pm

I don't know how NAMB does their funding now, but the convention and association back then, had NAMB folks. Most where some sort of partnership involving insurance and money for ministry related activities.
Jerry_B

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:48 pm

I returned this afternoon from the Baptist General Association of Virginia meeting in Hampton, VA. We heard some very challenging messages from Dr. Gary Nelson, a Canadian. We adopted a new streamlined structure for the future governance of the BGAV replacing the Mission Board of more than 100 members with a 15-member executive committee and a 15-member Missions Council. I hope it works, but the board had gotten so cumbersome that it was no longer effective when that many people had to come together on every major decision. Also, BGAV now has affiliated churches as far west as Hawaii who want to be a part because of what they see the VA Baptists doing in the world. We also got a report from our More than Nets effort that some 38,000 mosquito nets have been distributed in one area, reducing the incidence of Malaria there by more than 24%. Also, it was announced that several churches have been started where the nets have been distributed.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jerry_B » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:30 pm

Back from Waco. I was encouraged by the diversity of voices represented. There has been a concerted effort in years past to see the convention look more like Texas, we are starting to see some of the fruit of those efforts. There is still a decided senior feel to the attendees and attendance was not terribly impressive. Less than 800 voted for president, though the vote was for a women. David Hardage is doing his best to make what happens at the state level relevant, but this is an old, entrenched organization, it will take time. Overall I left encouraged.
Jerry_B

Postby Sandy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:00 pm

https://www.baptiststandard.com/news/te ... -s-purpose

Here's the convention coverage on Texas Baptists from the Baptist Standard.

Some notable points:
1. About 1,200 messengers registered. That's about 10% of the number that registered when the convention was in Waco back in 1991, when almost 12,000 registered, and even down from the 5,700 in Houston in 1998, which was the first time I attended after returning to Texas since leaving in the 80's.
2. Revenue projections are $37 million, which is about $3 million down from the previous year, and quite a bit below the $65 million that was pretty standard up into the 1990's, prior to the departure of the SBTC.
3. The BGCT still keeps over 70% of its receipts, and gives 29% to worldwide causes. I would guess that's probably among the lowest percentages of the larger state convention bodies, which seem to be drifting toward a 50-50 split with the SBC.
4. Among major state conventions, the BGCT may be the first to divest itself of its headquarters building, and scatter its offices across the state.
5. A motion to move out of the 19th century and go to remote electronic voting failed, again.
6. The convention changed its purpose for annual meeting to include a time of inspiration and motivation. It seems like that's a move intended to help get the attendance back up.

As far as point #3 is concerned, that is the default percentage for gifts which come in undesignated. Churches in the BGCT may now designate their own formula, and most do, given that the amount forwarded on to world mission causes through the SBC is about $15 million annually, not counting Lottie or Annie, almost half of the total budget. I believe the other state convention, the SBCT, is at a 50-50 split, or better, and has been since it formed. But even in that group, the dollars put into the Cooperative Program are declining.
Sandy

Postby Jerry_B » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Electronic voting was studied and a report given last year. One of the major obstacles is Texas law requiring physical attendance for voting privileges. I believe that's correct or at least mostly correct. There are other financial considerations mentioned.

Churches could always designate the percentages, did you mean to imply this was new?
Jerry_B

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:28 pm

State meetings used to draw a great deal of interest, but they don't these days. As I have read reports from several states, I haven't seen any reports of great attendance. Almost all state bodies seem to be reducing budgets at this point. This is especially true of the older state bodies.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:55 pm

Sandy

Previous

Return to SBC News and Trends