[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Honeycutt's holy war

Honeycutt's holy war

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Honeycutt's holy war

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:47 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:56 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:57 pm

ABP noted it, and William posted it here. So apparently it was on their radar screen.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:04 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:16 pm

I'm trying to be very moderate in my eating right now.

And, yep, I started it...but I knew my mod friends would be up to the task.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:00 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:26 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:32 am

Bob Allen thought Jason Allen's address concerning the Holy War sermon was newsworthy. So did I...so I started the discussion here.

Happy to help out.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:43 am

So, it was a con at MWBTS who called attention to it. Actually, it had a very minor role, IMHO. It was too little, too late.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:09 am

Oh, come on. ABP and Parham jump on these anniversaries all the time. I'll be glad to drag the next one over here when it happens.
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:36 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:07 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:32 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:07 am

Sandy, that's a good summary of why you joined a CBF church but it doesn't really explain your negativity to it now. That may be a personal story you don't want to share. If it is a story that comes out of conflict, I can understand that.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:20 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:37 pm

Maybe Ed. But I still think there is part of it that Sandy may not be saying. That's his business if he'd rather not get into it further.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:34 pm

Sandy

Postby Jon Estes » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:00 pm

Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:42 am

Jon, two things are happening in CBF, one in my part of the world and one nationally. First, younger leaders are being encouraged to share in CBF at the regional and state level. I was the last of the founding generation of CBF to serve on the CBFVA Coordinating Council. Most of those now serving have no memory of the old days of the SBC and are going in new routes. The second thing is national. CBF is taking a group of the most promising future leaders and involving them in a 2-year program called CBF Fellows that helps them make the transition into churches and into serving in ministry. Almost half of the younger ministers today, without regard for denomination or theology, never make it to their second place of service and often leave ministry. This is often because they are not heard or accepted. This cultivation of younger leaders is helping them to negotiate the waters of church life and letting their voices be heard. BTW, there are people on some of the national councils of CBF who are under 30.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Texas Baptists of the Right and the Holy War

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:52 pm

I have a thread started in Public Policy that I think vindicates much what I have been saying on this board for ten years and in other venues for thirty years now. Just came across it today, an easy google for Tom Powers on Wuthnow and Texas Baptists. Direct link is in public policy
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:49 pm

Sandy

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:44 am

Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:01 am

Jon, the reorganization of the past three years has placed the work of CBF under three councils--Governance, Ministries, and Missions. I know there are people under 30 on Governance and Ministries. I do not know about missions, so I did not address it.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:22 am

Ed: Dave If I where not a CBF enthusiast I might think, sure it sounds good but how real is it. Well I just posted an announcement on the CBF Board for the 2015 Assembly under the title of Early registration is open. On the page to which I linked there are also links to reviews of the four Assemblies immediately prior to 2014. 2013, 2012,2011 & 2010 For any one who has not attended an Assembly for a number of years or never, I would suggest spending some time over the next few days examining those reviews. They are informative even for me and I attended two of those four, but as others who have been there know it is not possible to take in all that goes on.
Ed Pettibone

Jonathan Merritt has enaged the Holy War

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:45 pm

And it s legacy in an interview with Robert Wuthnow about Texas Baptists and how they morphed the SBC into the Tea Party. Google Merritt, even better read the teaser for Wuthnow for Thomas Powers at nybooks.com
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

PreviousNext

Return to SBC News and Trends