[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Honeycutt's holy war

Honeycutt's holy war

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Honeycutt's holy war

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:07 pm

Jon, the dicotemy of "innerrant" and "errant" are false choices. It was never the discussion within the Church before the modern era and our scientific mindset of what defines "true."

There isn't much point in you and I going back and forth on this as we are both well convinced of our positions. But calling people "liberals" who held to the historic faith of Baptists because they'd not adopt a new theory of inspiration is just backwards. Frankly it is inerrancy, fundamentalism, dispensationalism, and other recent Christian "isms" that are seeking to change Christianity from what it was historically for centuries among Protestant Christians. It is a false conservatism that is conserving ideas not from the first century but from the 19th.

I'll move onto another topic with you if you would like. But Sandy and I have already gone around the mountain multiple times on inerrancy. So I don't want ot waste your time.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:24 pm

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:30 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:32 pm

Thanks for the honest assesment William. I much prefer your pros and cons to Sandy singing the praises of the takeover as if it is the best thing this side of heaven. Nothing is a good as he makes out the SBC to be now post takeover. :wink:

On another note, while I support the CBF in spirit (Best I can do without being a Baptist) I think the CBF has made a mistake sticking to the fellowship model over becoming a new denomination.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:49 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:07 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:12 pm

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:55 pm

Sandy, I assume you've read the Chicago statement on inerrancy and are familiar with all of the qualifications that exist in the document? Can I also assume that you mean that the Bible is inerrant in its original documents? If both those are true, what did you expect the moderate leadership to say?

Unfortunately the inerrancy debate wasn't about truth or accuracy it was about sound bites. So you'd have wanted the leadership to say "No errors!" Well, no errors in what? Are you going to suggest there are no errors in any of our modern translations? Are you going to suggest that there are no errors in the KJV? Or would you have wanted the moderate leadersihp to say "no errors" even knowing all the qualifications on inerrancy that are an accepted part of the theory?

What I'd rather see is honesty than sound bites. But in the inerrancy debate I see rallying cries, sound bites, logical contradictions, and angels dancing all on the head of a pin to say the Bible is perfect taking our attending off the God who actually is perfect.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:03 pm

In the aftermath of all of that, many of the moderate Baptist leaders indicated beliefs and teachings that were more along the lines of "classical" liberalism, and textual criticism than they claimed to have held during the controversy. Granted, not all of them did, but they gave their support to individuals who held leadership, and views that they knew would cause an explosion of reaction if it ever got out "to the people in the pews." That's what it was all about, and individuals like Honeycutt enabled liberalism to "creep in" exactly as the conservatives claimed it was.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:12 pm

Well Sandy, as I said to Jon, we are in very different places on this. I don't believe and have never believed the theory of inerrancy. It never made sense to me as having any practical use since it is about documents we don't have. Also the denomination I serve in does not teach inerrency so I'll just bow out of going around this one for now.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:24 pm

Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Jon Estes » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:42 pm

Jon Estes

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:00 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:26 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:16 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:43 pm

There's a broader subject of "Textual criticism" that compares manuscript evidence. Actually, what I got at an SBC seminary, prior to the resurgence, was a distinction between things that establish the existing manuscripts and make comparisons (and compared to other ancient literature, the New Testament in particular has very few variants), and various theories such as redactionism, the Documentary Hypothesis, and other theories related to existing manuscripts that tend to dismiss existing historical evidence,but get applied anyway.

For example the criticism that the Pentateuch was a product of a much later date than the time of Moses, based on the claim that the literary level of the work is too high for Moses' day. The idea that the gospel accounts were "redacted" and that a divine Jesus was created out of the written work of his original disciples, who saw him as a great teacher, and rabbi, but not as messiah. Or you can go down the road of the Jesus Seminary, and individuals such as Marcus Borg, Robert Funk, and others, who say that if part of the narrative of Jesus in the gospels is authentic, then literary criticism can prove other parts of it were added later.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:19 pm

You don't need textual criticism to realize that Moses didn't write all of the Penteteuch since it describes his death.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:01 am

Jon Estes

Postby Sandy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:38 am

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:54 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:16 am

The un-nuanced description of convention statements and battle polemics relates well for people who have never spent much time in Bible study (without a book or other resource telling them how to eliminate all the issues of passages). It sounds good in debates on the floors of conventions. Theological study is meant to start with scripture and learn from it how to develop an understanding. Even scholarly efforts to describe inerrancy fall into the death of a thousand qualifications as found in the Chicago Statement. To suddenly expect seminary presidents to have yes and no answers is to say that there is no real reason for education to study scripture, since all the conclusions have already been drawn. There should be studies that go beyond where the rank-and-file in any denomination are. Without that, the prophetic voice of the church lies dead. How many Old Testament prophets could have won a majority vote? By SBC procedures, they would have been considered heretical. Could Jesus, with his non-mainstream ideas, have won approval of the First Century Grand Synagogue Assembly? Why then can we assume theology is best when adopted by majority vote. It seems, in my reading of scripture, that God has always been more embodied in minority movements. The number of votes is not the test of right thinking, from a biblical perspective. My example--Micaiah and the court prophets.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Molly Worthen

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:10 pm

My friend Dr. Thornton has almost made any invocation of Ms Worthen's insight a profanity on this board but I strongly contend her thoughts on page 198 and 199 in Chapter 9 --Evangelicals Great Matter-- of her Apostles of Reason could add a lot of substance to this conversation. I hope some of you will find a Barnes and Noble or good interlibrary loan system near you soon and give this exchange more credibility.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Sandy's 200 churches

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:35 pm

Stephen Fox

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:33 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Bill Friday and Cecil Sherman

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:25 pm

I have quoted Bill Firday often in these periodical revisits to the takeover; Friday as told to me by Cecil Sherman about what the fundy takeover of SEBTS meant for North Carolina. And even now the US Senate race between thillis and Kay Hagan bears it out.

The core leaership of the fundy takeover were hard core right wingers from Pressler, Patterson connections to the Hunts Bros at FBC Dallas and Criswell's nudging there, to Ed McAteer jerking Adrian Rogers around at Bellevue in Memphis, Harry Dent's influence over Ed Young and Tim La Lahaye permeating the whole mess.

There was no takeover without the singleminded mule headedness of the Birch Society leftovers that circled around Pressler.

Criswell got the wrong ruse. Inerrancy was the ruse and it was proven so for all but the most stubborn as early as the 87 Ridgecrest conference on inerrancy where for all practical purposes Adrian Rogers and Jerry Vines packed up and left the 2nd day!

Stephen Fox

PreviousNext

Return to SBC News and Trends