Russell Moore got it right

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Russell Moore got it right

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:52 am

I don't often comment on things SBC, but this time Russell Moore got it so right. I commend him for speaking to the moral issue other SBC leaders have been avoiding or just using the term "illegals." He has a heart.

http://www.abpnews.com/culture/social-issues/item/28987-sbc-leader-says-border-crisis-moral-disgrace
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Re: Russell Moore got it right

Postby Haruo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:01 am

Amen.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:36 pm

Moore strikes the right notes. We should leave the incendiary language to the talk show hosts. It is as clear as day that there is ministry to be done. We cannot look the other way because we don't like the politics that caused the crisis.

[Stephen, you are always welcome to comment here but it has to have some relationship to the OP and you must put your reading lists elsewhere. It is insulting to those who bring up a good topic for discussion for you to attempt to hijack it for your purposes.Thanks.]
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:17 pm

William Thornton wrote:We cannot look the other way because we don't like the politics that caused the crisis.

I keep hearing this recurring theme, but the fact of the matter is that the "politics" themselves were a humanitarian response to immigration laws that are pernicious and restrictive in a way that is inconsistent with the foundational philosophy of this country. Generally, the people who are most desperate, and most deprived, and see the United States as their only hope, are not welcome because they are desperate and most deprived. Now we have people who are saying that immigration reform "will change the nature and character of America," code words meaning that we don't want people who don't come from a "Judao-Christian" Caucasian background. Immigration has always changed the nature and character of America. Look what it did to the native Americans.

The crisis wasn't caused by politics. The crisis has been brewing for years, caused by circumstances which come about as a result of desperate poverty, inequitable distribution of wealth, and lack of competent law enforcement. With most of the wealth coming from the US as a result of drug sales and distribution, anarchy reigns in areas of Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, and Mexico for that matter, and none of those countries has the resources to match up and fight it. So the US, the world's most prosperous country, on the same continent, becomes the refuge. If politics removes draconian restrictions to hope, then so be it. It is at least consistent with foundational American "Judao-Christian" influenced principle.

Southern Baptists are usually first on the scene of situations like this. The denomination gets a bad rap in some cases, but it spends more money and mobilizes more resources for disaster relief, hunger relief and situations like this than any other denomination except the Catholics.
Sandy
Sandy

So did George Will

Postby KeithE » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:47 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to SBC News and Trends