Adrian Rogers, 'rising star of Memphis,' elected 35 years ag

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Adrian Rogers, 'rising star of Memphis,' elected 35 year

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:46 pm

Have no idea Dave.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:43 pm

I don't think he joined Promise Keepers.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby ET » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:43 pm

Dave Roberts wrote:William, what ever happened with Dr. Rogers' promises to the senior adults of Bellevue. He told them, and I got this directly from my wife's grandmother who was one of them, to sell their jewelry, bring their savings, and cash in their retirement accounts. He said that Bellevue would be building senior adult facilities in the New Canaan and the church would take care of them. They also would be in walking distance of the new church facilities. Were his promises ever fulfilled?

Dave, I can't speak to the exact wording, but I find it a bit out-of-character for Dr. Rogers to do such a sales pitch - "sell your jewelry, bring your savings, cash in your retirement accounts". While I was never privy to any small gatherings between Bellevue's seniors and Dr. Rogers, from what I recall from descriptions disseminated to the church as a whole back in the late '80s, these units were to be made available first and foremost to Bellevue members. I believe that if afterwards there were units unoccupied, they were available to others. I don't recall any promises that "the church will take care of you", which seems to imply far more than just housing within walking distance of the church. There's aren't any sidewalks to get from the apartment complex to the church, but I think Bellevue runs a shuttle (or did at one time) from the complex to the church.

The senior adult facility you mention can be seen on Google Maps/Earth: Bellevue Woods location. They are located south of the church on the east side of Appling road, north of Dexter if the link doesn't work. I know little about them other than what I've stated above, although I do know one widow in my current church who was a Bellevue member at one time and still lives there.

So I would say Dr. Rogers kept his "promise" to have the apartment complex built. I know of no other "promises" made, so I can't speak to anything else that someone might consider falling under a "the church will take care of you" category.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:34 am

ET, I appreciate the updates. Guess they were not built in my wife's grandmother's lifetime. She died in 1995 and was in a nursing home for four years prior to that.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby ET » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:37 am

Yeah, we moved into the new place in Nov of '89, and I'm sure the apartments weren't built until a few years later.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Previous

Return to SBC News and Trends