[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Pressler says it started at2nd Houston with Johnny Baugh

Pressler says it started at2nd Houston with Johnny Baugh

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Chapter 9, Evangelicals' Great Matter

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:34 pm

I just reread pages 198-200 of Worthen's book to see if there was something Sandy got that I missed on first reading.

Worthen gives inerrancy a fair shake, even quote Packer and Pinnock, and talks about Howard Colson's 1960's BSSB attempt to bring some modern thought into Sunday School lessons for the people in the pew he called godly.

But these good faith efforts were hijacked by the birchism of Pressler and Jesse Helms. Worthen comes to the same conclusion 80 percent of fair minded literate folks have come to regard the takeover.

How Sandy misrepresents that in good conscience is quite annoying to put it mildly.

Hope some of you folks will look at the same passage to help me if I'm missing something.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Pressler says it started at2nd Houston with Johnny Baugh

Postby Sandy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:35 pm

Sandy

Maybe this will help Sandy a little

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu May 08, 2014 4:33 pm

Stephen Fox

Re: Maybe this will help Sandy a little

Postby Sandy » Fri May 09, 2014 8:03 am

Sandy

Re: Maybe this will help Sandy a little

Postby Sandy » Fri May 09, 2014 8:03 am

Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri May 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Ed: Sandy as so often is the case, when reading your last two post and starting to think, well Sandy has it right this time and then I get to the disparagement of Fox in the first version and then in the second you sound quite arrogant in your critique of Biblical scholars of non Christian traditions, when you say " It is quite clear that the idea of turning an itinerant, non-conformist Rabbi Jesus into the Messiah, savior and Son of God, could not have developed during the twenty years or so between the occurrence of the events, and the writing of the first gospel account, probably the Q document. Pushing that view into a discussion, and calling it genuine dialogue is nothing more than warmed over tripe. To call that a scholarly discussion is to defame the term "scholarly."

The article only defames those Christian students of scripture who are unwilling to rationally discuss the subject except on their own terms. A non christian and some Christians will read your "It is quite clear that the idea of turning an itinerant, non-conformist Rabbi Jesus into the Messiah, savior and Son of God, could not have developed during the twenty years or so between the occurrence of the events,..." and call it wishful thinking and move on with out you, unless and until you make a creditable case for it being "imposable" for it to have occurred as they believe. Note that I make a distinction between students of Scripture and Scholars who study Scripture.

Far to often we Christians ( note: I include myself) want to quote our spiritual "Cliff Notes" and declare them to override what ever objections to our belief system that come our along. A strong problem to that approach is that the Scholars we attempt to persuade, too often have already read those same Cliff Notes.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Fri May 09, 2014 8:42 pm

If you get into the territory of discussion of a "scholarly" nature that brings the theory that Jesus was just an itinerant, common man's rabbi, and that his disciples turned him into the messiah an the son of God through their writing, you are getting out of orthodox Christian belief and outside the parameters of the core definition of Christian faith. You can consider that scholarly dialogue if you want to, but when you get to that point, it isn't Christian scholarly dialogue.

Stephen throws his intellectual hat outside that Christian circle with his citations of individuals who, for the most part, don't declare "Jesus is Lord," and don't hold a personal belief consistent with the Apostle John in I John 4:1-3. I believe this puts him outside of the left fringe of Baptist thought.

I haven't seen it represented by you here, Ed, but I'll ask the question. Do you think that Jesus' disciples turned him into messiah and savior, or did he come for that purpose and establish that through the evidence presented in the gospels?
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat May 10, 2014 9:13 am

Ed: No Sandy, I do not think that Jesus' disciples turned him into messiah and savior. However I do have some understanding of legitimate scholars who promote that line of thinking. But I see the second part of your question, as too nebulous for a definitive reply.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Sat May 10, 2014 10:42 am

Nebulous? Either it is or it isn't, there's nothing "nebulous" about it. It's hard call someone a "legitimate scholar" that questions the accuracy or legitimacy of something that is an established historical fact according to the methods prescribed by historians to make that determination. The gospels are pretty clear, and consistent accounts which identify Jesus and lend zero support to any theory that the disciples created the Jesus we worship. It's a matter of either accepting the existing evidence or not accepting it. Perhaps "scholarship" in general involves the denial of established fact, but you can't call it Christian scholarship.
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat May 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Sun May 11, 2014 7:46 am

Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon May 12, 2014 10:28 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Tue May 13, 2014 1:47 am

()
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Lee Saunder's erudition

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue May 13, 2014 4:28 pm

Sandy in your wide reading and expertise on all things Jesus and Baptist takeover, has Pelikan's Jesus Through the Centuries crossed your radar?

http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=3925

Stephen Fox

Pressler has endorsed James Lankford for US Senate in OK

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue May 13, 2014 6:36 pm

I have shared the endorsement with several facebook luminaries including Worthenand Balmer and a friend in Americus who has played tennis on President Carter's personal court. She recently was given a guest subscription to Baptists today by a Furman grad, not me.

All is not in vain.

Stephen Fox

Re: Lee Saunder's erudition

Postby Sandy » Tue May 13, 2014 9:33 pm

Sandy

Previous

Return to SBC News and Trends