Calvinism Advisory Committee statement

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Postby Sandy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:34 am

http://www.sbclife.org/Articles/2013/06/sla5.asp

________

William:If the above link doesn't work try this one:

http://www.sbclife.org/mobile/wrapper.asp?ref=http://www.sbclife.net/Articles/2013/06/Sla5.asp
Sandy
Sandy

Re: Calvinism Advisory Committee statement

Postby Haruo » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:41 am

Looks well-crafted to me.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:21 am

I have followed this closely and will have a witty, erudite, and sagacious piece on it soon.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby TrudyU » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:33 pm

William Thornton wrote:I have followed this closely and will have a witty, erudite, and sagacious piece on it soon.

Ed Pettibone, William I hope you have that ready for us before we go vacationing and conventioning latter this month. We will be leaving the 18th and should return July 1st or 2nd.
TrudyU

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:52 pm

TrudyU wrote:
William Thornton wrote:I have followed this closely and will have a witty, erudite, and sagacious piece on it soon.

Ed Pettibone, William I hope you have that ready for us before we go vacationing and conventioning latter this month. We will be leaving the 18th and should return July 1st or 2nd.

Ed, expect it no later than Monday. The world spins a bit faster these days.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:27 pm

The world spins a bit faster these days ... dreidlgenic global warming?
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Actually, William has a pretty good blog post about the Calvinism Advisory Committee, http://sbcplodder.blogspot.com. There are two. One about what the committee got right, and one from a few days back when he was speculating about what they would do. Good guess, on the second article, and good analysis on the first one.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby TrudyU » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:27 am

Sandy wrote:Actually, William has a pretty good blog post about the Calvinism Advisory Committee, http://sbcplodder.blogspot.com. There are two. One about what the committee got right, and one from a few days back when he was speculating about what they would do. Good guess, on the second article, and good analysis on the first one.

Ed: In the language of this committee are Non - Calvinism and Arminianism the same? if not was Arminianism broached by this committee in the least? If not Why not. And how is "Non Calvinism" defined?
TrudyU

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:33 am

Thanks, Sandy. I'm putting my brilliant, prescient, and insightful blog article in a new topic here.

Ed, the team used the term Arminianism only once but discussed the theology. The preferred term is "Traditionalist" in the SBC, though the committee avoided that, preferring "non-calvinist."
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby TrudyU » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:26 am

William Thornton wrote:Thanks, Sandy. I'm putting my brilliant, prescient, and insightful blog article in a new topic here.

Ed, the team used the term Arminianism only once but discussed the theology. The preferred term is "Traditionalist" in the SBC, though the committee avoided that, preferring "non-calvinist."

Ed: But William do they define either "Traditionalist" or non-calvinist. To me non-calvinist seams to put Calvinism in the default position. And in the history of world religions, Baptist of any stripe must stretch to identify ourselves as other than possiablly Baptist traditionalist. And yet there have been other Baptist as long as there has been the SBC. All three of the "settled pastorates" that my wife has held have been in local churches that predate the SBC. 1807, 1838 and 1783. Some with even a less Calvinist taint or for those who prefer, tint.

And BTW, Thank you William, for your report.
TrudyU

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:32 am

It is interesting that "non-calvinist" became the term used given that the "non-calvinist" position is the "traditional" position of the denomination. You seldom see people define their theology by what they aren't.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby TrudyU » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:35 pm

Timothy Bonney wrote:It is interesting that "non-calvinist" became the term used given that the "non-calvinist" position is the "traditional" position of the denomination. You seldom see people define their theology by what they aren't.

Ed: Tim, I don't think Bill Leonard would agree that Non-Calvinism - "is the "Traditional" position of the Denomination. I Will Have to look up a reference. But I will take a chance shot, to see how close I can come; to me, he presents two almost ever present branches of Baptist life at least as developed on this continent, with the dominance of one or the other at various times and places. But I do not recall him ever using the term Non Calvinist as a group designation. My Apology to Dr. B.J.L. if I am out in left field here. But hanging my self out to dry, is one way to force my self to check the sources.
TrudyU

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:43 pm

Ed I suppose "modified Calvinist" is what sticks in my memory. But that may not come from Bill Leonard.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:13 am

My impression is that both Calvinist and non-Calvinist strains go back to the earliest years of the movement; I think they were both well established in England even before immersion supplanted affusion.

More or less what you would expect of a non-hierarchical hybrid mixing Anglican and Mennonite gene pools.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby TrudyU » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:05 am

Haruo wrote:My impression is that both Calvinist and non-Calvinist strains go back to the earliest years of the movement; I think they were both well established in England even before immersion supplanted affusion.

More or less what you would expect of a non-hierarchical hybrid mixing Anglican and Mennonite gene pools.

Ed; According to our host Bruce T. Gourley, Hauro you are correct. In his very convenient 126 page A CAPSULE HISTORY OF BAPTISTS, published by the Baptist History & Heritage Society, Atlanta, 201,0 p 19-20 Bruce writes of ENGLISH BAPTIST; Committed to freedom of conscience, English Baptist rejected the paradigm of that had prescribed and enforced christian doctrine since the
days of the early church. Putting their faith to paper in the form of non-authoritative confessions, while acknowledging the bible as their only trustworthy guide, the forged a new theological path. While General Baptist and Particular Baptist confessions focused on Arminian and Calvinistic theology, respectively, both groups affirmed believer's baptism, the authority of scripture, and religious liberty. Inherent within the theology of both groups resided a tension that remains to this day: a compulsion within the community to voice acceptable doctrinal beliefs within the broader context of respecting and preserving the freedom of individual conscience.

*Bruce T. Gourley is the President of the Baptist History & Heritage Society with headquarters in at the Mercer Atlanta Campus but he lives in Montana.
TrudyU

Return to SBC News and Trends