[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Disturbing Trends @ Baptist Colleges (according to Jon Akin)

Disturbing Trends @ Baptist Colleges (according to Jon Akin)

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Disturbing Trends @ Baptist Colleges (according to Jon Akin)

Postby Michael Wrenn » Sun May 19, 2013 10:06 am

Michael Wrenn

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun May 19, 2013 3:47 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun May 19, 2013 3:56 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun May 19, 2013 6:40 pm

The basic "polity" of Southern Baptists is the local, independent, autonomous church. There is no ecclesiastical authority beyond that. And I call that "New Testament" polity because that's what is described there. The churches called their own leaders and ordination was local. The "conventionism" (which is a word I have also used) is not part of church polity, simply because the local church is the only authority which determines whether or not it will be part of the convention system. The local church determines who it will ordain, who it will call as pastors and church leaders, what standard it will apply, and how it will participate in the missions and ministry programs provided by the convention.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun May 19, 2013 7:29 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun May 19, 2013 7:43 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun May 19, 2013 7:45 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun May 19, 2013 8:57 pm

Sandy,

Just out of curiosity, would you consider yourself a Landmarkist? The idea that the only Baptist polity is the local church sounds Landmark to me. I'm not trying to take a shot at you. I'm just curious.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Michael Wrenn » Sun May 19, 2013 8:59 pm

Michael Wrenn

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun May 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon May 20, 2013 8:42 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon May 20, 2013 8:59 am

Thanks for the clarification Sandy.

I believe Disciples of Christ are more similar to the ABC or the UCC than the SBC though. While they do have local church autonomy they also have a regional clergy ordination and recognition system and congregations allow the denomination to be the main examiner of candidates for ordination though the local church ordains. I believe that is the case for both the DOC and the ABC/USA.

Whatever you call it, polity, ecclesiology, etc. there has to be some theological underpinning for SBC state and national conventions otherwise why do it the way they do it?
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Akin's Website

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed May 22, 2013 11:22 am

http://www.baptisttwentyone.com/who-we-are/

I will be trying later to contact John to see if he has read Giberson and Stephens The Anointed. I hope William Thornton has read it by now. It deserves the treatment Thornton gave the Lottie MOon bio on his blog.

Maybe Akin, who lives near Nashville could go on panel with Giberson and Stephens at Vandy.

Rachel Held Evans will be the feature speaker when the SC CBF meets in SEneca in October, not far from Clemson. I hope to be able to attend that conference. Maybe Thornton can drive up from STatham for one session about an hour twenty minutes from his back door. Once he gets to Braselton, he's almost there if he don't go the Back route through IVA.

Speaking of Vandy, I hope to see Mike Yazstremski sometime this weekend in the SEC tourney at Hoover park just SW of Bham.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Tea Party's FBC SBurg

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed May 22, 2013 11:27 am

Trey Gowdy's FBC Spartanburg S.C. seems to be double minded on this issue.

Far as I know they continue to proudly send their Best and Brightest to Furman and Wofford. And Furman and Wofford Don't teach the Akin/Shorter College Way.

In fact Gowdy is a Baylor grad. Whether or not he caught the Dombrowski short lived creation course at Baylor, I don't know.

FBC Spartanburg continues to live the Lie. See www.ginnybrant.com. Ginny, John and David Rogers could have a conference call tomorrow and shed some light on this confusion.

Stephen Fox

Re: Tea Party's FBC SBurg

Postby Sandy » Thu May 23, 2013 6:57 pm

Sandy

personal research

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri May 24, 2013 4:10 pm

Contact your staffer friend and ask him to email my alternative address with Gowdy subject marcodiazz@hotmail.com

I posted on their public facebook wall today. link to my latest blog.

Conference call was fatuous speculation. But they should have one.

Stephen Fox

Previous

Return to SBC News and Trends