[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Richard Land and his new job

Richard Land and his new job

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Richard Land and his new job

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:04 pm

Interesting shift today for Richard Land who appears to be leaving the SBC fold for folks more suited to his ideas.

I couldn't find much on this school. I lived in NC when it was founded, but I never heard of it.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Re: Richard Land and his new job

Postby Tom Parker » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:43 pm

Tom Parker

Postby Neil Heath » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:16 pm

Perhaps in his mind he needs a title, and a platform from which to speak, lest he disappear from the public sphere and be ignored. For many who are used to having the spotlight, obscurity would be a kind of living death.

As for me, I can continue ignoring him, as I have for a long time.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Blake » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:22 pm

They appear to be a TRACS accredited reformed conservative evangelical apologetics school. Maybe he'll convince them to cooperate with SB state conventions and add another piece to the board in the coming Calvinist/non-Calvinist battle for the convention.
"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:26 pm

Well, he basically got fired.

Land obviously didn't want to retire. His retirement was quite clearly not what he wanted.

There must not have been anything for him in the SBC world, no grand high paying emeritus gig at a seminary.

I'm guessing Norman Geisler is going to pay Land well though...
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby TrudyU » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:58 pm

Ed still on Trudy's computer: Also Al Mohler isn't ready to retire and Russ Moore felt a need for a new, wider platform. My question is who will be Al's new yes man?
TrudyU

Postby Sandy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:30 am

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:54 pm

I would note for my mod/lib/ex-SBC friends that there is a generational change underway in the SBC among top leadership. While that doesn't preclude a sinecure being created for long-in-the-tooth top dogs forced out, I suspect we will not be seeing that soon.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Blake » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:04 pm

"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Sandy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:44 pm

Sandy

Postby Blake » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:54 pm

- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby William Thornton » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:40 pm

I am afraid we are already in a bit of a Calvinist/traditionalist fight. I suspect it will get worse but not to the level of the CR.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tom Parker » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:46 pm

Tom Parker

Postby Sandy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:41 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:33 am

A few signs of rancor: Some churches have defunded seminaries they consider too Calvinistic. Some associational missionarys steer churches away from grads from those seminaries. Some state schools are thought to be purging calvinists from faculty and not hiring the same. Some voices are calling for less Calvinistic writers, appointees, and hires.

Early rumblings over the horizon may be heard if one is listening.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:17 am

The Calvinism-Non-Calvinism divide is not insignficant in Southern Baptist life. William can surely attest to that.

The debacle at Louisiana College is but one very public expression of that divide.

And I agree that there will not be a split. I'm not sure how realistic a huge denominational split is in our increasingly post-denominational world. A big brouhaha would likely result in a decline in giving and changing giving patterns, etc. People don't care enough about denominations like they did in the 1980s.

Sandy writes: "Land is neither as popular, or as in-demand in the SBC as many of the board members here might tend to think."

I guess we'd have to unpack that and debate it. There's alot of truth there but you can make a similar statement about other Southern Baptist leaders. I'm not sure Al Mohler is really as popular as many thing. Alot of top leaders, of course, have been successful at gaining more power than their popularity has earned them.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Sandy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:25 am

Sandy

Postby Blake » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:37 am

Sandy, I would be inclined to agree with you if the context of present day America were going to remain static for the next three decades or so, but the US is not a static entity. Changes are coming and those changes will work their way into the life, attitudes and actions of Southern Baptists. Until we know what those changes are and how they will be reacted to by important SBC demographics it's hard to say no splits or church sheddings are on the horizon.
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby William Thornton » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:34 pm

While I am not up for another resurgence type conflict, my opinion is that there is more to the Calvinist/traditionalist divide in SB life than sandy realizes.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:55 am

Sandy

Return to SBC News and Trends