Do we have any SBCers other than our GA friend

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Do we have any SBCers other than our GA friend

Postby Haruo » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:56 am

I'm thinking the Baptist church in Enumclaw (WA) that I almost visited last September might be ARBCA.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:03 pm

John Sneed wrote:Ed, I see a push in the SBC to rid itself of any Calvinistic influence. Whether it will be successful or not, I am no prophet. But the atmosphere is hostile to Calvinists now. I moved to the ARBCA, the Association of Reformed Baptist Churches in America. I am much more comfortable here.

I think there's some froth on the kettle. As far as an all out "push" to rid the SBC of any Calvinistic influence, I don't see it. There's an executive director appointed committee of mostly mega church pastors which isn't representative of the core of convention membership itself that will, like most such committees, give the appearance of action without actually taking any action that results in any real change. What they will most likely do is assure those who are "frothing" that the convention isn't going to adopt a Calvinistic position that endangers or weakens the rationale for the missions enterprise, affirm the BFM 2000 statement as the doctrinal position that governs convention entities and agencies, and that will be that. As long as Al Mohler and his entourage are still provincial rulers over their part of the convention kingdom, Calvinists will have a prominent place in the SBC.

A lot of the perception tends to come from Calvinists themselves, who tend to react to anything they perceive as a threat in a hysterical manner when they are not in complete control of a religious organization or denomination. Generally, most non-Calvinists are able to tolerate, and in most cases, cooperate and work with those who hold a Calvinist perspective, but it doesn't work the other way around. For most Southern Baptists, its not an issue. If Frank Page handles this carefully, and wisely, it won't become one.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:08 am

So is Mohler anti-missionary activity?
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:06 pm

Haruo wrote:So is Mohler anti-missionary activity?

Not that I've observed.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Sandy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:35 pm

Hey, Stephen if you catch this post, just a question. Are you still a member of an SBC supporting congregation?
Sandy
Sandy

Sfox and the SBC

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:52 pm

No, I am not. I have many friends in SBC churches, and lots of family in churches who favor the SBC but whose churches are mostly aligned with SBC. I still like the hymns and miss congregational singing etc; I could even stand a good sermon by William Thornton and the like and get some good of it but SBC as the world of Mohler, not for me nor are the enablers; though I realize the contradictions in what I just said.

Recently I'm kinda gettin to like a PCA preacher I hear on the radio Sunday morns from Rome Ga but I'm not one of them. With a little more civilizing options and gas money got a friend in nearby Rome would love to participate with on Sunday morning, but its about 20 miles too far.

Mostly now its about logistics and matters that are foggy in warnings from Thornton Gourley and others I'm not inclined to explore at the moment or I would say more on this board.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Previous

Return to SBC News and Trends