[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Kudos to William ...

Kudos to William ...

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Kudos to William ...

Postby Bruce Gourley » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:38 am

... for being regarding his opposition to the clergy housing exemption (a view I agree with).
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Re: Kudos to William ...

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:20 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby ET » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:51 pm

It will be interesting to see if William encounters some blowback from all this.

Interesting discussion.....my brother is an SBC pastor, but in modest to small size churches. I'll have to get him to read William's blog and discuss it with him.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby William Thornton » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:16 pm

I am not opposed to the housing allowance although no sensible and responsible person can justify the current tax laws that allow for unlimited use of it on a minister's home. I will link an informative article on it Tomorrow.

Some of the people who write and comment on Forbes believe the HA to be unconstitutional. I do not. Some think a workable solution is to cap the amount, a view that I cannot find a strong argument against.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Bruce Gourley » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:14 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:46 am

My view on the clergy housing allowance is that it is a welcome tax break for ministers but one that is viewed by the public only when abuses are publicized. These abuses contribute to the pressure to revise or eliminate it. I would much rather revise it than eliminate it.

I started a separate topic for this here in the SBCNT forum.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:51 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Let me join the chorus

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:15 pm

Congrats to William. Forbes is a real number. And to get mentioned there bespeaks of his writing ability.

It still befuddles me how he remains a fundamentalist, however. I do wish William would read Marilynne Robinson on Calvin. I think his Forbes Fan will be impressed if he navigates Robinson and has a take.

No schadenfreude here, but I do invoke Marshall Frady to good end in my latest blog on Furman's Convocation for the Academic Year. Not written as well as Thornton does routinely, but strong substance; a place I'm convinced Marshall and his Father Yates would want Thornton to go.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Return to SBC News and Trends