ABP Story on Chic Fil A

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

ON PBS Newshour tonight

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:12 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Rick Warren Update

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:35 pm

My latest post on the story in Rome News Tribune where Dan Cathy is a trustee of Berry College and the firestorm over Shorter continues

Fox News reported tonight that yesterday afternoon about 4pm edt Dan Cathy called Rick Warren to report that with seven hours to go they had already set a one day record.
And It is my understanding CNN reported Truett, Dan, and Bubba Cathy each are worth 1.5 billion dollars. So surely they have done something right.
But again their gifts to Focus on the Family and Family Research Council are disturbing. That places them in a fog in regard the bogus religious history of David Barton which has now become a concern for Public Television in Alabama entangled in Ten Commandments Judge Roy Moore camp.
Truett Cathy was named for George W Truett, most likely the greatest Baptist of the first half of the 20th Century.
In that realm, when you compare the Cathy's to Baptist greats in the public square like SCOTUS Justice Hugo Black, Alabama Republican Judge Frank Johnson, Martin Luther King, Jr and the work of the Baptist Joint Committee, the Cathy's are weighed in the balance and found wanting.
It will be interesting to see how they navigate the mess at Shorter College, how they come down on that matter.
I hope forces in Rome who have direct communication with them will bring Paul Harvey's essay on David Barton; and the Giberson and Stephens book to their attention.
The Cathy's have done great work and been blessed and I commend them for it. It is the standard in the recommendations above, and the Jeff Rogers work on the best of the Baptist tradition in Higher Education that I recommend to them in this moment when Mike Huckabee, Fox News and the whole world is watching.

Stephen Fox

John Pierce at CFA's Defense

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:41 pm

http://www.baptiststoday.org/johndpierc ... storm.html

And my submitted comment in reply to John Pierce blog

Click on my name and over to my blog to see some of my thoughts on CFA. As I report there I sat beside Dan Cathy in Bob Crapps Religion Class at Furman in 71. And I appreciate Truett standing by Kirby Godsey when the fundamentalists had him on the hot seat at Mercer not long ago.
Even so there are mixxed signals in the Cathy witness. I agree with the substance and tone of what John Pierce has said here. As an alum of Berry he knows first hand the good the Cathy's have done there.
But the Cathy's have a foggy public witness when it comes down to where they are on the church state spectrum between Charles Pickering's Alliance Defending Freedom and the BJC for Public affairs. Their substantial contributions to Focus on the Family and Family Research Council are disturbing to say the least.
At a minimum given their public witness now and the fact they are championed by Mike Huckabee and Fox News raises the conversation to a higher level. Reputedly couple days ago CNN compared their inlfuence to the Koch Brothers. And I understand them to have also reported Truett, Dan and Bubba, each are worth 1.5 Billion with a B dollars; 4.5 billion total.
So if that number is correct they have Koch brothers means.

As a brother in Christ Jesus, who accepted Jesus as his Saviour at Truett Memorial BC; I ask John Pierce through President Carter or whatever connection he has to have the Cathy's meet with Mercer President Underwood, Melissa Rogers, President Carter whomever in a retreat before the Presidential election to look closely at Giberson and Stephens The Anointed; and Paul Harvey's religion dispatches essay on David Barton.
I think the ghost of George W. Truett and the upheaval in the SBC of the last 30 years calls for no less than that

Stephen Fox

DOM's and Obama in CFA fallout

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:52 am

This morning pumping gas had a conversation with a former mayor of a town in the vicinity and a current SBC DOM. The Mayor Conversation was more pleasant than the DOM. I think Rick Lance and Gov Bentley have some matters of concern for sure. The DOM invoked the word gibberish which has interesting inflection in Giberson and Stephens The Anointed, and said he didn't have time to further engage the conversation if by Chance Darrick Harkins of the 19th Street Baptist Church in D.C. were to come to Samford this fall and continue the conversation.

So there we are.

Meantime here is how I am engaging the CFA conversation in the Rome News Tribune this morning:

Trelicious, you have sodomized my statement like the Nelson Price fundamentalists who took over the Southern Baptist Convention sodomized the Baptist concept of the priesthood of the believer and used inerrancy to advance Paul Pressler and Jesse Helms right wing political agenda. For reference you may want to take the advice of the Apostle Paul and RENEW your mind with a reading of Harold Bloom's The American Religion.

I have made it clear like Pierre Noth made it clear in regard Shorter College it is the matter of obfuscation of the Best of the Baptist tradition of higher education that I think is at stake in the fallout of this recent Mike Huckabee combusted Chick Fil A media firestorm.

My challenge to the Cathy family as they hopefully reconsider their contributions to Focus on the Family and Family Research Council is this fall as they engage conversations certain to come nationally, bone up on some of the following.

1) Jeff Rogers lecture at Furman in the mid 90's on Baptist Higher Education What in the Smyth and Helwys Collection What Really Matters.

2) Jane Mayer's New Yorker article on Fischer of the FRC in recent issue

3) Giberson and Stephens The Anointed about the parallel universe Shorter is now floundering in.

4)Keith Durso's recent biography of George W. Truett. Truett Cathy is named for George W. Truett as I understand it.

5)Rachel Held Evans Evolving in Monkeytown. Go to Evans Blog and read her gracious post on Chick Fil A

6)Newt Gingrich's former West Ga. Read Dan Williams book God's Own Party.

7)And finally for you esoterics out there which most likely rules Trelicious out; the concluding 150 pages of Diarmaid McCulloch's magisterial History of Christianity.

In conclusion Trelicious and like minded; I make no apology for joining President Clinton's Rhodes Scholar Roomate, Strobe Talbott; and Sewanee Grad and former Editor of Newsweek Jon Meacham(biographer of Andrew Jackson) as a reader of MacCulloch's History.

You have a nice day and pray without ceasing.

Oh I forgot, I commend you and the Cathy's for honoring the Sabbath Day. All in good company there with Pulitzer Prize Winner Marilynne Robinson whose alma mater Samford helped sponsor in a visit to Birmingham a few years ago and I had the grand opportunity to get her to autograph my copy of her essays The Death of Adam, with particular reference to the one on Puritans and Prigs.

Read more: RN-T.com - Chick fil A in Rome overwhelmed by show of support ]

Stephen Fox

Richard Land and Huckabee testify

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:16 pm

Stephen Fox

To their credit, this CFA story

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:40 pm

Stephen Fox

Re: ABP Story on Chic Fil A

Postby Haruo » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:06 am

Cute, pertinent parody of Dr. Seuss making the rounds today on Facebook...
catinhat-chickfila.jpg
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:30 pm

Ed; Stylistically it is well done but I would hardly call it "cute'. As it demonstrates a bias with which I can not concur.
Ed Pettibone

Here's is a twist on the story

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:25 pm

Getting high on southern food and traditions with a tomato story from Charlotte

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/03/us/ch ... r=1&ref=us

Stephen Fox

My letter in Bham News

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:51 pm

Stephen Fox

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:56 pm

Tim Bonney wrote:Ed I believe that study is disputed by other studies. But be that as it may, I don't want to get off the topic of the FRC. The FRC is just one several conservative Christian organizations that has gotten heavily involved in politics and wants to make abortion, gay marriage, and a few other issues the main reasons to vote Republican or Democrat. It is a very narrow focus for political choice and it honestly bothers me. I've met a few people who would vote for Satan himself if they thought he'd vote the way they believe on abortion or homosexuality even if the candidate is a lousy Presidential choice.

It is funny how Sandy and I agree and disagree depending on if it is politics or theology. Friend Sandy I still have a heck of a time figuring how you fit your viewpoints together. But that is your choice.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:06 am

Context, Ed?
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:21 am

Haruo wrote:Context, Ed?

Ed: Sorry about that Haruo, I did not mean to resend Tim's post. BUT for the context go back to the discussion on the 1st page of this thread. Check in, around and leading to my post Re: ABP Story on Chic Fil A
Post by Ed Pettibone » 21 Jul 2012, 18:20
Ed Pettibone

LGBT activist at Chic Fil A Bowl/Huffingtonpost

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:25 pm

Stephen Fox

Dan Cathy: "Service from here on!"

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:29 pm

http://www.myajc.com/news/business/cath ... ck-/nfCHj/

Also see piece at www.tnr.org on his friend Gov Huckabee and this years presidential chances

Stephen Fox

Previous

Return to SBC News and Trends