[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - 2012 Annual Meeting in New Orleans

2012 Annual Meeting in New Orleans

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

2012 Annual Meeting in New Orleans

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:57 pm

I'm not there (would like to be) but am happy to provide instant commentary. You may read my predictions .

There is this year the Calvinist controversy in full bloom. Moderates predicted this a couple of decades ago while on their way out the SBC door. The 2nd VP position is perceived as a contest between the Calvinists and Traditionalists.

The most significant news is that the SBC will elect a black president tomorrow but the buzz is for the calvinist/traditionalist stuff.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: 2012 Annual Meeting in New Orleans

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:01 pm

Ed Pettibone

Dead from the Neck Up

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:02 pm

To paraphrase WA Criswell. His SBC now, that's what it is.

I was there, NO SBC in 1990. Had Several Confrontations with Judge Pressler with God on My Side
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Blake » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:29 pm

Is anyone going to live blog it? I haven't heard anyone mention it being live blogged of the SBC blogs I follow.
"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:12 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:24 pm

The name non-change will be voted upon. If it fails it will be news. If it passes it will not be news and will be forgotten. There is no buzz about the non-change of the name.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Blake » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:28 pm

"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Luter and Science

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:33 pm

NPR has had two national stories today about the likely presidency of Luter.

I think the real story is how will Luter and Russ Moore, Nelson Price and Bryant Wright engage science.

Inerrancy is a ruse.

Here in Bama the state legislature that cannot happen without the State's Baptists has fired top leaders of APTV for not kissing the lunacy of David Barton.

Luter is an anomaly. Just channel the ghosts of Helms and Albert Lee Smith, Pressler and Curtis Caine and the Texas Regulars.

Here is the story

http://www.ethicsdaily.com/science-and- ... -cms-19717

Stephen Fox

ABP reports on Luter

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:50 pm

http://www.abpnews.com/ministry/organiz ... -president

I commented there and FAcebook page of NPR Here and Now

Stephen Fox

NY Times comment

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:00 pm

Stephen Fox

Molly Worthen in NY Times on Luter

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:25 pm

http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/ ... rgence/?hp

The paragraph: "The reason for their alienation, rooted in history....." is pretty strong. 68 comments and counting including Franky Schaeffer. Hope many of you will wade through the comments there.

Stephen Fox

From the NY Times Comment stream

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:56 pm

Stephen Fox

Return to SBC News and Trends