Jerry Falwell Jr.'s Escapades

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Jerry Falwell Jr.'s Escapades

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:39 am

I'm surprised no one else here has started a discussion about Jerry's clubbing photos and alleged financially shady land deals.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
User avatar
Tim Bonney
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6270
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:17 am
Location: Indianola, Iowa

Re: Jerry Falwell Jr.'s Escapades

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:43 am

I have had family in Lynchburg most of my life. None of them had much appreciation for Jerry, Sr. They are not there to give me inside scoop on Jerry, Jr. The Falwells have always been wheeling and dealing in real estate and using their influence in local politics to get what they wanted including an exit directly from US 460 bypass onto their campus.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Dave Roberts
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7545
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:01 pm
Location: Southside, VA

Re: Jerry Falwell Jr.'s Escapades

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:02 am

Dave Roberts wrote:I have had family in Lynchburg most of my life. None of them had much appreciation for Jerry, Sr. They are not there to give me inside scoop on Jerry, Jr. The Falwells have always been wheeling and dealing in real estate and using their influence in local politics to get what they wanted including an exit directly from US 460 bypass onto their campus.


Given that drinking and dancing both are grounds for discipline the club photos look bad. I'm neither anti-drinking or dancing. But holding students to one standard while the president of the college does something else sure looks bad. But then, so did posing in front of Playboy Mag with DJT.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
User avatar
Tim Bonney
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6270
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:17 am
Location: Indianola, Iowa

Re: Jerry Falwell Jr.'s Escapades

Postby Sandy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:58 am

Tim Bonney wrote:I'm surprised no one else here has started a discussion about Jerry's clubbing photos and alleged financially shady land deals.


Have you got a link? I haven't seen anything and I'm sure the extremist right wing conservative press won't mention it.

Actually, I found one that doesn't seem to require a subscription.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/ ... 23057.html

I'm not surprised. Even less so by the land deal, since these people are all about the money.

Makes me wonder if he's ever been invited, and showed up, at any of the orange headed buffoon's golf with strippers events at Mar-A-Lago.
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 9423
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:10 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Jerry Falwell Jr.'s Escapades

Postby Haruo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:30 pm

The story I saw this morning had an entirely different slant, something like "Jerry Falwell, Jr., accuses former members of the board of (regents? trustees? directors?) of Liberty University of criminal conspiracy to depose him as president"; because of the state of our home internet, I was only able to see the headline, not the story itself.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12788
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Jerry Falwell Jr.'s Escapades

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:09 pm

Haruo wrote:The story I saw this morning had an entirely different slant, something like "Jerry Falwell, Jr., accuses former members of the board of (regents? trustees? directors?) of Liberty University of criminal conspiracy to depose him as president"; because of the state of our home internet, I was only able to see the headline, not the story itself.


Here is one of the articles I read.

https://apple.news/AXoyOqqIlSwqaPOOtzxggLg
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
User avatar
Tim Bonney
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6270
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:17 am
Location: Indianola, Iowa

Re: Jerry Falwell Jr.'s Escapades

Postby Sandy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:47 pm

Do these people plan for this to happen or is it just corruption that occurs after their church gets big and they realize they have power to control people's lives, livelihoods and they have control over a huge amount of money? Did this guy just not believe all of that independent, fundamentalist Baptist gospel or did he just get intoxicated by the fame and fortune?
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 9423
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:10 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Jerry Falwell Jr.'s Escapades

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:28 am

Sandy wrote:Do these people plan for this to happen or is it just corruption that occurs after their church gets big and they realize they have power to control people's lives, livelihoods and they have control over a huge amount of money? Did this guy just not believe all of that independent, fundamentalist Baptist gospel or did he just get intoxicated by the fame and fortune?


Good questions that are, of course, unanswerable. There are plenty of us who were raised in conservative Christian homes that no long believe in a conservative view of Christianity. There isn't anything wrong with that as long as you don't pose as a leader of conservative Christianity when you are no longer a conservative Christian. I honestly believe Jerry Jr. really doesn't believe in conservative views of the faith but, he has to pretend he does to stay in the "family business."

As to the money, I think the biggest problem for the Falwell family is ecclesial nepotism. No one should be the pastor of a church or the President of a college just because Daddy was. I believe nepotism often leads to corruption. You start to believe you own the church/institution/etc. (And in some cases such people do. One Pentecostal church down the street form my parents is literally owned by the pastor who founded it. ugh.)
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
User avatar
Tim Bonney
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6270
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:17 am
Location: Indianola, Iowa

Re: Jerry Falwell Jr.'s Escapades

Postby William Thornton » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:02 pm

Falwell, Sr. was an authentic innovator and solid guy even if you didn't like his theology or fundraising.

I don't quibble much with my modlib friends over Junior, though. I never understood why the SBC allows Liberty to recruit students at our annual meeting and in our publications.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
User avatar
William Thornton
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12400
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: Jerry Falwell Jr.'s Escapades

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:14 pm

William Thornton wrote:I never understood why the SBC allows Liberty to recruit students at our annual meeting and in our publications.


That does seem kind of undercutting their own institutions.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
User avatar
Tim Bonney
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6270
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:17 am
Location: Indianola, Iowa

Re: Jerry Falwell Jr.'s Escapades

Postby Sandy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Tim Bonney wrote:
William Thornton wrote:I never understood why the SBC allows Liberty to recruit students at our annual meeting and in our publications.


That does seem kind of undercutting their own institutions.


They promote themselves to Southern Baptists as "one of theirs." They have a financial relationship with the Southern Baptist Conservatives of Virginia state convention and as a result of the support, the SBCV is allowed to elect two of their trustees. Noting that no other conservative state convention would, or ever has, put up with that small and paltry of a voice in a school they support with their money, if I am not mistaken, none of the other Baptist-related schools in Virginia have a relationship with the SBCV so they don't appear to be "undercutting" the other schools. Dave can probably give better insights but I believe the SBCV considers the BGAV colleges and universities too liberal and beyond saving.
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 9423
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:10 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Jerry Falwell Jr.'s Escapades

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:44 am

Sandy wrote:
Tim Bonney wrote:
William Thornton wrote:I never understood why the SBC allows Liberty to recruit students at our annual meeting and in our publications.


That does seem kind of undercutting their own institutions.


They promote themselves to Southern Baptists as "one of theirs." They have a financial relationship with the Southern Baptist Conservatives of Virginia state convention and as a result of the support, the SBCV is allowed to elect two of their trustees. Noting that no other conservative state convention would, or ever has, put up with that small and paltry of a voice in a school they support with their money, if I am not mistaken, none of the other Baptist-related schools in Virginia have a relationship with the SBCV so they don't appear to be "undercutting" the other schools. Dave can probably give better insights but I believe the SBCV considers the BGAV colleges and universities too liberal and beyond saving.


SBCV said at its creation that it would give half of its money to the SBC and would not own institutions. Actually, there is very little involvement of the BGAV in colleges today. The flagship college, University of Richmond, went its own way declining Baptist money back in the 1980's. Averett went on its own and then has come back into a cooperating relationship that does not require much BGAV money or give much control. Bluefield is the only traditional college still remaining with the BGAV. Virginia Intermont closed last year. Bluefield's President is on the CBF Coordinating Council in VA and also is working with a Together for Hope Model. Virginia Baptists do own three acadamies (private high schools), but none of them receives a great deal of support. Liberty keeps trying to place theological graduates in VA churches, sadly with some success.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Dave Roberts
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7545
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:01 pm
Location: Southside, VA

Re: Jerry Falwell Jr.'s Escapades

Postby Sandy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:39 pm

Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 9423
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:10 pm
Location: Chicago


Return to SBC News and Trends

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest