ABCNYS Restructuring

Discuss life and ministry in the American Baptist Churches, USA

Moderator: Haruo

ABCNYS Restructuring

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:55 am

At the April Meeting the ABC/NYS Board of Missions approved a new executive staffing model.

Under the previous model we had a full time paid Executive Minister and Six paid, part time, associate Executive Field ministers each assigned to a given geographic area of the state serving churches in from 2 to 4 Associations. We have 16 Associations. They Associate Ex's where to responsible for assisting the churches in pastoral searches, emergency needs, conflict mediation and resolution, and in congregational transformation and renewal.

The new model, when fully implemented, will look like this;

1) A full time paid Executive Minister
2) A full time paid Associate Executive Minister
3) A region-wide volunteer Regional Enhancement Team *
4) A Team of volunteer pastors, to minister to the pastoral care needs of Clergy in the Region.

* Members of the Regional enhancement team may be either lay persons or pastors, charged with the duties previously performed by the Associate Ex's . It is anticipated that every association will have representation on this team. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ed to the BL.C family: I covet your prayers for our region as we enter this period of transition. As some of you know I am a member of the ABCNYS Regional Board of Missions which is essentially the regions governing board. ABCNYS is one of three ABC regions in the boundaries the state. The others are METRO covering the Burros of NYC. and Rochester- Gennese, essentially metropolitan Rochester. Our region spans from the Vermont, Massachusetts, & Connecticut boarders on the east, westward to the borders with Ohio and Pa., on the west. Southward from the Canadian border to Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Nearly 400 mi E-W and 350 Mi N-S along the eastern border. In that vast area we have 300 + churches, Some in wilderness villages and other in small towns, good sized cities, and some in large urban areas. Talk about Diversity we have it.

As of yesterday, I am officially a member of the new Regional Enhancement team. There are three of us in the Capital area Baptist Association.
I already have a meeting scheduled for next week with the trustees of an historic church to discuss their relationship with the association and the Region. And training for this newly created volunteer position does not even begin until June 14th. So in addition to your prayers for the ABCNYS Region. I Ask that you also pray specifically for me in this new adventure.

We do have a Board of Missions meting in the western part of the state (Batavia) tomorrow, so I am making that trip late this evening. So if I am not on the boards you will know it is not because I am pouting about something Gene or someone has said. :wink:
Ed Pettibone

Return to ABC Life and Ministry Forum