[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Statement on Westboro From ABC-USA

Statement on Westboro From ABC-USA

Discuss life and ministry in the American Baptist Churches, USA

Moderator: Haruo

Statement on Westboro From ABC-USA

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:21 am

Statement About Westboro
webmaster posted on December 10, 2010 15:54

Westboro Baptist Church and Fred Phelps of Topeka, Kansas, are in the news again. Phelps, pastor of Westboro Baptist Church, is not and never has been an American Baptist. Phelps’ ordination is not in an American Baptist church, and his credentials have never been recognized by any region of ABCUSA. Additionally, Westboro is in no way affiliated with American Baptist Churches, USA. Westboro is an independent, non-affiliated church.

In light of the increased media attention focused upon the Westboro Church of Topeka, KS, American Baptists want to be clear that we denounce their message and tactics of hate. It grieves us that in bearing the Baptist name they destroy the reputation of thousands of Baptists who daily give themselves in selfless acts of love as followers of Jesus.

“You will know them by their fruits,” Jesus said in Matthew 7:16.

The hostile, angry confrontations created by Phelps and his followers are an embarrassment to the Gospel and the church. Hopefully, American Baptists will distance themselves from ministers like Phelps, not only by words, but by deeds.

“By this everyone will know you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:35
Ed Pettibone

Re: Statement on Westboro From ABC-USA

Postby Neil Heath » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:26 pm

In reference to Jesus' words above, there aren't any bigger fruits than the Westboro crowd. :)
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:30 am

The Westboro crowd is an embarrassment to fruit!! more like the attack of the mouldy tomatoes
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby ehart » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:19 am

Those of us who live close enough to hear their name on a regular basis and even participate in drowning out their hatred would love to petition that the word "Baptist" be removed from their "church" name. My pastor even suggested standing in front of their church with signs that read: "These are not Baptists"
ehart

Postby Samuel » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:06 am

Interesting comments: I have no knowledge of this person.

I am in an ABC church. I just read the atricle posted by Ed on women preaching and am against it as it is not scriptural.

1 Timothy Chapter 3 >>
Viewing the 1769 King James Version. Click to switch to 1611 King James Version of 1 Timothy Chapter 3
1 This [is] a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

But Baptist: one does not have to be in the ABC to be Baptist. I fully believe the NT 'local' church doctrine and believe it is scriptural and we are not to be a universal church like the catholics. Baptist can trace their roots to the Apostles clearly way past the inception of the catholics ~321 AD.

One might think that carrying banners against such to be in line with what you are against.

I'll try to find out some info on this group or church. Many have infiltrated Baptist churches to disrupt. There are a number of John Hagee and Swaggart types out there.
Samuel

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:33 pm

Ed: Samuel, we get a lot of thread drift here at BL.C, but your post just above, is more than drift. You have jumped from a discussion of a person (Fred Phelps) of whom who you say "I have no knowledge of this person", to your disagreement with something I wrote about women in Ministry in another thread. I nor any one else has suggested that one has to be ABC to be baptist. II do hope that after you have pursued further information on Phelps and his Westboro church that you will also be offended at their calling them selves Baptist.

but while we are here I note you said that you are in an ABC church. Are we talking about the Same "ABC" ? Haruo and I plus David Flick and others here are in the ABC-USA (American Baptist Churches - USA.) headquartered in Vally Forge PA. Fom some of what you have posted so far I am wordering if perhaps you are in a church related to the American Baptist Association with headquarters in Texarkana, Arkansas, sometimes known as Landmarkist? Now if you would care to pursue the women in Ministry issue I would be glad to entertain a reply to my comments in that other thread.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Landmark notions are not entirely foreign to the ABC; I know they have been more widespread in Oregon than in Washington, but it wouldn't surprise me to find them in Eastern Tennessee.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:02 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:19 pm

I haven't seen any evidence that Samuel agrees with or supports Phelps/Westboro, apart from his support of local autonomy, which most here would agree on. He claims not to know anything about the man or the church in question. I agree that Phelps would find little support or sympathy in Landmark circles, howsoever much they might agree with some of his positions on Sodomites.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Samuel » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:52 pm

Nupe; never heard of the guy or his church or issues.

I have been saved for 39 yrs but little on forums and only a short time now. I try to read and study 4-12 hrs/da but.......... you know how that can go. I don't care about looking up some whatever........... no interest at all.

I mostly study history, manuscript evidence, scripture, etc............

I guess I came up as a Baptist and never regarded association outside of my local church except coop for revivals, supporting missions, etc...........
Samuel

Postby Haruo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:00 pm

Just for the record, Samuel's account has been deactivated. Further conversation (?) with (?) him should be carried on by email, as he will not be able to post replies here.

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to ABC Life and Ministry Forum