Medley participates in interfaith conference, see statement

Discuss life and ministry in the American Baptist Churches, USA

Moderator: Haruo

Medley participates in interfaith conference, see statement

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:40 pm

Copied from ABC-USA web site;

Welcome!

On Tuesday, September 7, general secretary Roy Medley attended an interfaith summit hosted by the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., which addressed the recent surge in anti-Muslim rhetoric and Islamaphobia in the United States.

Directly following the summit, members in attendance held a press conference and issued a joint statement to the public regarding unified action for faith communities to promote tolerance and reduce hate crimes, anti-Muslim rhetoric, and Islamaphobia. Click here to view the statement.

The press conference was telecast live on CNN and CSPAN and included statements from members of the Jewish, Muslim, and Christian faiths. The leaders emphasized the need for people associated with all different faiths to protect the safety and civil rights of Muslims.

Medley issued the following statement regarding the meeting:

Today, I joined with a wide range of Christians, Jews and Muslims to express our concern about the growing expressed hostility towards Muslims in our country. The Christians present in addition to myself included Michael Kinnamon of the NCC, and representatives of evangelical organizations such as the National Association of Evangelicals. I joined in this effort because as the spiritual heirs of Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams, American Baptists have a keen interest in preserving religious liberty. It is core to our understanding of faith and a gift that Baptists at great cost have given to the world.

We strongly implore our brothers and sisters of the Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville to turn away from their proposed burning of the Koran on September 11. It is an act inconsistent with the spirit and teachings of Christ. We remind them that when Jesus' disciples implored him to call down destruction upon the Samaritans, he refused. Though they were of a different faith, the gospels record that he welcomed Samaritans to the consternation of his own disciples and singled out one of them as exemplary of what it means to show neighborly love to others. We recall as well the horror we felt when a rogue Orthodox priest and his followers burned Bibles stored for distribution by the Georgian Baptists several years ago.

We clearly see all such actions that discriminate against or threaten others because of their faith as undermining the very principle of religious liberty that Baptists struggled to incorporate into our Bill of Rights so that in America faith might be protected.

I urge us all as American Baptist Christians to stand firm in our commitment to the blessings of religious liberty for all and in our repudiation of efforts and acts that fail the test of Calvary's love. Let us make such love visible and active in concrete acts of compassion, justice and friendship toward our Muslim neighbors as fulfilling Jesus' instruction to, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

----------------------------------------30-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed Pettibone

Re: Medley participates in interfaith conference, see statement

Postby Haruo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:49 pm

Amen
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:36 am

And Amen!
Tim Bonney

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:00 pm

Very good statement with which I fully agree. I've met Roy Medley once and have had the opportunity to hear him speak, he impresses me as genuine, wise, and gracious.
Lamar Wadsworth

Location: Rockmart GA (on a slippery slope, between Aragon and VanWert, 6 miles SW of Taylorsville)

Postby Haruo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:15 pm

Yeah, if ya gotta have a pope, have him!
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:22 am

Haruo wrote:Yeah, if ya gotta have a pope, have him!

Ed: Haruo In what way(s) do you compare the ABC-USA Secretary General to a pope?
Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:54 am

Ed Pettibone wrote:
Haruo wrote:Yeah, if ya gotta have a pope, have him!

Ed: Haruo In what way(s) do you compare the ABC-USA Secretary General to a pope?

I certainly don't see much resemblance, he doesn't wear a beanie (most of the time, in public anyway). He's got an accent, but it's a comfortingly non-foreign one.

But from the point of view of the non-Baptist world (Christian and non-Christian) he looks like a little pope to a lot of people. They don't know our polity, they don't even know there is no "the American Baptist Church" in the sense in which there is a "the Roman Catholic Church". They mostly think of ABCUSA as "a Church", and Roy is our visible Head on earth and presumably our Vicar of Christ. I often refer to Marcia Patton as "our Bishop", too, but only in Baptist milieux. We did her evaluation at our last Evergreen Board meeting, and my overall comment was "I'm glad to see confirmed by consensus my opinion that we done gots ourselves a good Bishop!" (Our pastor has used the "Executive Minister = Bishop" explanation in church, for that matter, always with an appropriate caveat that she isn't really, except in external relations.) For that matter, my impression (and maybe it's just my insular POV) is that a great many actual (titular) Bishops (RC, TEC, ELCA, UMC, what have you) are actually Regional Executive Ministers. (Of course, in the Black churches the Bishop is often, and I think more biblically, the Senior Pastor.)
Haruo
Site Admin

Return to ABC Life and Ministry Forum