Tim Bonney quoted in THE CHRISTIAN CENTURY...

Discuss life and ministry in the American Baptist Churches, USA

Moderator: Haruo

Tim Bonney quoted in THE CHRISTIAN CENTURY...

Postby David Flick » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:16 am

Here's a nice article about the diversity in the ABCUSA. My fellow moderator, Timothy Bonney is quoted
For Tim Bonney, pastor of First Baptist Church of Greater Des Moines, Iowa, the denomination's diversity can be cumbersome, but rewarding. "I don't think American Baptists have generally felt like there has to be a majority group in the denomination," he said.

"It doesn't mean that we have to agree on all these other finer points of theology and issues of politics," said Bonney. "My congregation also is politically diverse, theologically diverse; we like that.

"It's both our greatest strength and greatest weakness," the pastor said. "It certainly would be easier if we all agreed with each other, but I've always found that kind of diversity to be very refreshing."

Read the entire article: American Baptists take delight in diversity

Tim deserves a Golden Spur for this testimony...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

. . . . . . .-------------------------------- My Testimony -------------------------------------------------

The ABC-USA has been my denominational home now for seven (7) years. I became an American Baptist when I was called to the Watonga Indian Baptist Church. My ordination was recognized by the ABC in 2005. Diversity in ABC churches is one of the characteristics I cherish. From my perspective, it's truly sad that Southern Baptists cannot/will not tolerate diversity in their midst. I spent 37 long years struggling with this issue. I never felt that all Baptists had to believe and practice their Christianity exactly as I do. The last seven years have been some of the happiest years of my ministry. I no longer feel the pressure of peers to conform to the cookie-cutter mentality of those who believe they are God's last and best hope for Baptists in the world. PTL!!
David Flick
Site Admin

Re: Tim Bonney quoted in THE CHRISTIAN CENTURY...

Postby Neil Heath » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:18 pm

I'm glad to hear that of you, David. If my church were an ABC church I think I would also feel at home there. I know I haven't felt at home in SBC life for many years.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:51 pm

Timothy Bonney wrote:Thanks for the spur David! But, I'd like to give also like to give credit to the author Rob Marus. I believe it is a reprint of his ABP article. I felt like he did a good job of interviewing and researching the topic.

Kudos to both The Robster and The Timster. 8)
Mark

Postby Bruce Gourley » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:23 pm

Mark wrote:
Timothy Bonney wrote:Thanks for the spur David! But, I'd like to give also like to give credit to the author Rob Marus. I believe it is a reprint of his ABP article. I felt like he did a good job of interviewing and researching the topic.

Kudos to both The Robster and The Timster. 8)

Hear, Hear!
Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:32 am

It's always great to see someone quoted whom we know and appreciate.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Return to ABC Life and Ministry Forum