Singspiration...

Discuss life and ministry in the American Baptist Churches, USA

Moderator: Haruo

Singspiration...

Postby David Flick » Fri May 29, 2009 8:20 am

Watonga Indian Baptist Church is 15 members of the OIABA (Oklahoma American Indian Baptist Association). The association holds a monthly singspiration. WIBC hosted the May hymn singing fest. Mark & DaveR will be interested to know that we invited out associational friends to sing from our new hymnals which came from Alabama & Virginia. Here are a few snapshots of that event...
David Flick
Site Admin

Re: Singspiration...

Postby Haruo » Fri May 29, 2009 12:57 pm

David, I'd be very interested in knowing what songs were sung. I only know "Singspiration" as a music publisher, not an event. And since I'm planning a hymnsing (probably to be 3 times a year) for Evergreen and our neighbors, to commence this coming October, I'm particularly interested in how various churches and associations do their hymnsings.

Nice pictures, and I'm particularly heartened to see that there's food ;-)
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat May 30, 2009 12:47 am

Haruo wrote:David, I'd be very interested in knowing what songs were sung. I only know "Singspiration" as a music publisher, not an event. And since I'm planning a hymnsing (probably to be 3 times a year) for Evergreen and our neighbors, to commence this coming October, I'm particularly interested in how various churches and associations do their hymnsings.

Nice pictures, and I'm particularly heartened to see that there's food ;-)

ED: Haruo most of the singsperation events that I ever attended where sponsored by SBC Associations. Most of the songs sung by the entire crowd where from either The Baptist Hymnal Or the "Broadman Hymnal", both "SBC" products, wich ever was used by the host church. Soloist and groups used a wide variety of of music , including that from the "Singspiration" publishing company. Some of the music in most programs was original works written by the performers. The South Eastern (Miami Association, the ABC-USA of Ohio, has or did have a similar program once a month. Any Individual or group that had registered at least a week before the program had a chance to perform. Those who just showed up, went on a first come first served list and where worked into the program if the scheduled time (2 to 4 hours permitted) .

The Miami Association of ABC in Ohio covers the SE quarter of the state but most of the participants where usually from the Cincinnati area churches.

I always enjoyed them, a lot of entertainment, sometimes excellent talent and showmanship and rather frequent periods of what I would call genuine worship.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sat May 30, 2009 1:47 am

I believe David's church now has Baptist Hymnal '91... incidentally, Ed, what hymnal(s) do(es) Trudy's parish(es) use currently? Since ABC hasn't had a denominational hymnal in many years (as far as I know, the last such was the Hymnbook for Christian Worship in the mid-1960s, and I don't think it ever became very popular at least in this part of the country) diversity in this area is definitely the rule. In the thirty-some churches of the Evergreen Association there are at least 10 different hymnals currently in use in the pews.

The Singspiration approach sounds like fun.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat May 30, 2009 8:25 pm

Haruo wrote:I believe David's church now has Baptist Hymnal '91... incidentally, Ed, what hymnal(s) do(es) Trudy's parish(es) use currently? Since ABC hasn't had a denominational hymnal in many years (as far as I know, the last such was the Hymnbook for Christian Worship in the mid-1960s, and I don't think it ever became very popular at least in this part of the country) diversity in this area is definitely the rule. In the thirty-some churches of the Evergreen Association there are at least 10 different hymnals currently in use in the pews.

The Singspiration approach sounds like fun.

Ed: Haruo, the hymn book used by both churches in this parish is Hymns for the Living Church, Hope Publishing Company, Carol Stream, IL, Copyright 1974 printed 1987.

The Editor's name will be recognized by some of the former Southern Baptist here, especially SBTS Grads. Dr. Donald P. Hustad, taught in the Music School at SBTS from 1966 until 1986. According to Wikipedia his experience also included performing as the organist for featured soloist George Beverly Shea on Club Time, a program of hymns that aired weekly on the American Broadcasting Company radio network. His two-decade tenure as organist for the popular radio series, Songs in the Night, brought him other performing opportunities in the Chicago area before his move south.
Ed Pettibone

Return to ABC Life and Ministry Forum