[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Prayer request in the ABC Forum...

Prayer request in the ABC Forum...

Discuss life and ministry in the American Baptist Churches, USA

Moderator: Haruo

Prayer request in the ABC Forum...

Postby David Flick » Fri May 15, 2009 6:37 pm

There are 15 ABCUSA Native American churches in Oklahoma. One, the Wichita Community Church located about 6 miles north of Anadarko, tragically lost their their building and fellowship hall (two separate buildings) in a tornado last Wednesday evening. Their pastor, Damon Smith, is a good friend of mine. shows the extent of the damage. The building was over 100 years old. I have preached in there. Notice an outdoor baptistery in the early portion of the video.

Wichita Community Church is a member of the Oklahoma Indian American Baptist Association (OIABA).The church is located on the grounds of the OIABA associational campground. There is a tabernacle located about 300 feet to the west. Since there was no word about damage, I'm assuming that the the tabernacle escaped unharmed.

Please pray for our sister church. Thanks.
. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Re: Prayer request in the ABC Forum...

Postby Bruce Gourley » Fri May 15, 2009 9:16 pm

I am sorry to hear of the church's loss, and will be praying for the congregation.
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri May 15, 2009 10:41 pm

Ed: David, Trudy and I will be praying for the Wichita Community Church, and they will be added to the prayer list of the North Creek/ Minerva Baptist parish. Many of the people here have no real concept of the destruction that can be caused by tornadoes, as they are quite rare in this part of the country. On the other hand, I have seen the results of several in Indiana, Kentucky and Florida.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Chris » Sat May 16, 2009 10:02 am

Count me among those praying for this historic church. Is it near the Riverside Indian School Reservation? Since I don't see a river going thru Anadarko, I am curious how the reservation got this name.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby David Flick » Mon May 18, 2009 1:12 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon May 18, 2009 1:46 am

Just a note to say that the pastor specifically mentioned "an American Indian Baptist Church that lost its sanctuary and fellowship hall last week" in her pastoral prayer this morning at Fremont.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Mon May 18, 2009 1:57 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Mon May 18, 2009 6:26 am

That's a great map, David. It obviously is better than mine (Microsoft Streets and Maps 2008)

And The Washita is a famous river. Isn't there a country song or two that mentions it? Maybe in the Bob Wills, Merle Haggard, or Hank Williams song books?
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon May 18, 2009 3:05 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby ehart » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:25 am

David, I'm praying as well.

I've been gone from the board dealing with my own life (including some downed trees and a high school graduation) and didn't know about the loss of the sanctuary till this past week when I received the Central Region Life.

You may remember that it was through a national White Cross faux pas involving Damon Smith's church and your White Cross associate's address that we met by phone.

Is there an update? How are they doing?
ehart

Postby David Flick » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:00 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby ehart » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:23 am

Thanks for the update. I'll be sharing this with the local and association ABW.
ehart

Postby Haruo » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:49 pm

Belatedly, here is (dated June 9) on this topic.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to ABC Life and Ministry Forum