Prayer request in the ABC Forum...

Discuss life and ministry in the American Baptist Churches, USA

Moderator: Haruo

Prayer request in the ABC Forum...

Postby David Flick » Fri May 15, 2009 7:37 pm

There are 15 ABCUSA Native American churches in Oklahoma. One, the Wichita Community Church located about 6 miles north of Anadarko, tragically lost their their building and fellowship hall (two separate buildings) in a tornado last Wednesday evening. Their pastor, Damon Smith, is a good friend of mine. This video shows the extent of the damage. The building was over 100 years old. I have preached in there. Notice an outdoor baptistery in the early portion of the video.

Wichita Community Church is a member of the Oklahoma Indian American Baptist Association (OIABA).The church is located on the grounds of the OIABA associational campground. There is a tabernacle located about 300 feet to the west. Since there was no word about damage, I'm assuming that the the tabernacle escaped unharmed.

Please pray for our sister church. Thanks.
David Flick
Site Admin

Re: Prayer request in the ABC Forum...

Postby Bruce Gourley » Fri May 15, 2009 10:16 pm

I am sorry to hear of the church's loss, and will be praying for the congregation.
Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri May 15, 2009 11:41 pm

Ed: David, Trudy and I will be praying for the Wichita Community Church, and they will be added to the prayer list of the North Creek/ Minerva Baptist parish. Many of the people here have no real concept of the destruction that can be caused by tornadoes, as they are quite rare in this part of the country. On the other hand, I have seen the results of several in Indiana, Kentucky and Florida.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Chris » Sat May 16, 2009 11:02 am

Count me among those praying for this historic church. Is it near the Riverside Indian School Reservation? Since I don't see a river going thru Anadarko, I am curious how the reservation got this name.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby David Flick » Mon May 18, 2009 2:12 am

Chris wrote:Count me among those praying for this historic church. Is it near the Riverside Indian School Reservation? Since I don't see a river going thru Anadarko, I am curious how the reservation got this name.

Yes, it's pretty close to the Riverside Indian School. Riverside, one of several Indian boarding schools in Oklahoma, is located two miles north of Anadarko. That entire complex of roads by the black feather is the school. Wichita Community Church is located about 2 1/2 miles northeast of the school. Access road to WCC is immediately across 281 from the school.

Riverside probably got it's name from the location. The Washita River flows generally west to east about 3/4 of a mile south of the school. The the same Washita River flows through two parts of my father's farm near Hammon. My father, John, was born a half mile from the river. In this photo, I am standing on the foundation of the barn near the place where Dad was born. Over my right shoulder, in that open space between the trees and above the bales of hay, is my birthplace.

. . . . .Image

Several years ago (and I can't remember the exact year), William brought a mission team from Statham, GA to Chickasha, OK to do a VBS with the Fellowship of American Indians Mission. I hosted that mission trip and got my photo taken with William. We both became very famous over that trip. :wink:

Anyway, while they were here, I took William and the VBS team over to Anadarko to tour Indian City USA (lower right quadrant of the map). They saw and enjoyed Indian cultural dances as well taking a tour of authentically reconstructed American Indian dwellings. The interesting side note of that trip was that we toured the dwellings on one of the hottest days of the year. I don't remember how hot it was, but it was well over 100* in the shade. Hades was cool by comparison... :wink: William and his crew learned how hot an August Oklahoma afternoon can be... William can tell the story better than I just did... :D
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon May 18, 2009 2:46 am

Just a note to say that the pastor specifically mentioned "an American Indian Baptist Church that lost its sanctuary and fellowship hall last week" in her pastoral prayer this morning at Fremont.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Mon May 18, 2009 2:57 am

Haruo wrote:Just a note to say that the pastor specifically mentioned "an American Indian Baptist Church that lost its sanctuary and fellowship hall last week" in her pastoral prayer this morning at Fremont.

Thank you, Haruo...
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Mon May 18, 2009 7:26 am

That's a great map, David. It obviously is better than mine (Microsoft Streets and Maps 2008)

And The Washita is a famous river. Isn't there a country song or two that mentions it? Maybe in the Bob Wills, Merle Haggard, or Hank Williams song books?
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon May 18, 2009 4:05 pm

Chris wrote:That's a great map, David. It obviously is better than mine (Microsoft Streets and Maps 2008)

And The Washita is a famous river. Isn't there a country song or two that mentions it? Maybe in the Bob Wills, Merle Haggard, or Hank Williams song books?

Ed: Chris I think perhaps you are thinking of the Ouachita River which is in Arkansas and Louisiana.

Ouachita is pronounced Wa-chi-ta and that is a very short (i) sound

When I googled Wichata River, google asked if I meant Ouachita River. Quite honestly I had previously thought they where the same river with alternative spellings. Although my Alma Mater is on the banks of the Ouachita, I had never traced the river on a map, and assumed that it took a bend into OK which is quite close. In the 196o's, we (my first wife and oldest two kids) took several day trips into OK, while I was a student at Ouachita College (now Ouachita Univesity).
Ed Pettibone

Postby ehart » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:25 am

David, I'm praying as well.

I've been gone from the board dealing with my own life (including some downed trees and a high school graduation) and didn't know about the loss of the sanctuary till this past week when I received the Central Region Life.

You may remember that it was through a national White Cross faux pas involving Damon Smith's church and your White Cross associate's address that we met by phone.

Is there an update? How are they doing?
ehart

Postby David Flick » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:00 pm

ehart wrote:David, I'm praying as well.

Thanks, Ehart.

ehart wrote:I've been gone from the board dealing with my own life (including some downed trees and a high school graduation) and didn't know about the loss of the sanctuary till this past week when I received the Central Region Life.

Sorry to hear about those downed trees. But congratulations on your son's graduation from H.S.

ehart wrote:You may remember that it was through a national White Cross faux pas involving Damon Smith's church and your White Cross associate's address that we met by phone.

Indeed I do,

ehart wrote:Is there an update? How are they doing?

Yes, there is an update. The annual OIABA (Oklahoma Indian American Baptist Association) annual camp meeting is continuing on schedule. Here's the flyer.

The Wichita Community Church is located on the association's campground. The tabernacle is located about 400 feet west of the church building. Although the church buildings were completely destroyed, the tabernacle was was not. It was, however, severely damaged and deemed too dangerous to worship under. The Wichita Community Church kitchen/fellowship was where campers ate their meals.

The camp meeting, which is this week, has been moved to another location near Anadarko. We're meeting at the United Methodist Campgrounds at Hog Creek. Going west out of Anadarko, Hog Creek is located on US-281, just a couple of miles off this map. Since I'm now a bi-vocational pastor, I'll not be going to church camp this year. I'll be going down for Sunday services.
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby ehart » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:23 am

Thanks for the update. I'll be sharing this with the local and association ABW.
ehart

Postby Haruo » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:49 pm

Belatedly, here is a link to the ABNS story (dated June 9) on this topic.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Return to ABC Life and Ministry Forum