[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - 2009 Statements of Concern

2009 Statements of Concern

Discuss life and ministry in the American Baptist Churches, USA

Moderator: Haruo

2009 Statements of Concern

Postby pastormikejordan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi folks! Wondering if anyone knows where I can track down the statements of concern to be discussed and discerned at the 2009 biennial. Trying to make plane reservations and have an option of leaving early Sunday but I noticed these are not slated to be discussed until late Sunday afternoon. Want to know what I will miss or whether I feel I need to stay.
Michael Jordan
Exton, PA
pastormikejordan.blogspot.com
pastormikejordan

Re: 2009 Statements of Concern

Postby pastormikejordan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:16 am

I agree with you mainly, Tim. I'll keep my eyes on my mail though!

MJ
Michael Jordan
Exton, PA
pastormikejordan

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:20 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:50 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby pastormikejordan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:22 pm

Tim & Ed--sorry, I didn't mean to initiate a discussion on whether or not SoCs are worthwhile. I will just say this: I do think it's important that there is a way for American Baptists to speak to the world on topics of importance. To the extent that SoCs accomplish this, I favor them. To the extent that they are a vehicle for the noisiest or richest ABs to manipulate one of the very few levers that ABs have to speak to the world, I don't like them.

Unlike Tim, I do think it's worthwhile for Christians to debate these things and hear each other out; if we eschew it to focus on the essentials, we soon find that we don't agree on what the essentials are...
Michael Jordan
Exton, PA
pastormikejordan

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:41 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby pastormikejordan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:19 am

Michael Jordan
Exton, PA
pastormikejordan

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:19 pm

Ed: Mike, as I think you know I am opposed to doing away with the Statements of Concern process at ABC biennials. But I am wondering what are you hearing from other young pastors such as your associates in the association and at the institution where you are engaged in higher education?

But then when Tim used the term "young Christians", I believe he was speaking of those new to the faith rather than chronological age.

As for TIm's assertion that "We can either seek to be theologically "perfect" or we can evangelize the world." I am persuaded that Tim has here established a false dichotomy. The problem as I think you have suggested, comes in who's definition of "perfect Theology" and "essentials" and "evangelize" we are going to use. Recruiting new members and evangelizing are not of necessity synonymous. We will never have a "perfect Theology" because Theology is the product of imperfect humans, but that must not keep us from seeking after it. I doubt that on this side of glory that we will ever have total agreement on any large scale as to what constitutes the absolute essentials.
Ed Pettibone

Postby pastormikejordan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:36 pm

Michael Jordan
Exton, PA
pastormikejordan

Postby Haruo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:49 pm

Just out of curiosity, is there opportunity for individuals or local churches to present workshops or something? It seems to me that if denominational mission thrusts are out of sync with what you feel called to, there ought to be denominationally facilitated (not denominationally sponsored or required!) opportunities to share your sense of call with other potentially like-minded fellow ABCs across the country.

Some day I'll go to a Biennial (if they still have them then) and find out...
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:14 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby pastormikejordan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:06 am

Michael Jordan
Exton, PA
pastormikejordan