[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Liturgy and Life

Liturgy and Life

Discuss life and ministry in the American Baptist Churches, USA

Moderator: Haruo

Re: Liturgy and Life

Postby Haruo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:55 am

Much moreso under our present pastor (a recent seminarian) than the previous couple of ones.

Personally I tend to go for the oddball parts, e.g. liturgical year items that tend to go ignored, such as the fact that is the feast of the Annunciation, or that yesterday was Easter Monday (John 21; fish for breakfast). But then I'm not in charge of the pulpit, just the website.

Ave Maria,
Haruo
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:17 am

I am not using the lectionary this year, but I frequently spend the year with it. We use an acolyte each Sunday, a cross-bearer on high holy days--Advent, Christmas, First Sunday in Lent, Easter, and Pentecost. Our church also is a split chancel, somewhat rare among Baptists. I robe for worship about 1/4 of the time.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:53 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:50 am

Epiphany but not Ascension?

I will be in charge of the evening PSST this Sunday (Marc Walter, who normally leads it, will be in Oregon). So we will be subjected to my choices in hymnody, which are likely to be heavy on the themes of Annunciation and Easter (including Easter Monday). I've been leafing through the Brethren in Christ's Hymns for Praise and Worship, and have found several very nice Easter pieces we never do (because they're not in our hymnals), including Monsell's "", Dudley-Smith's "" (to W V), and Kolb's "". Maybe something from the Dominican Nuns' Summit Choirbook, too. And perhaps the RLDS, er I mean Community of Christ,'s "" (to N; one of the verses needs a bit of emending) and Joseph Smith's old favorite, "" by James Montgomery. In HPW I also noticed Clarkson's "My Heart Is Fixed", which I had not seen before. We may do "Sing of Mary, pure and lowly" (to P S) or "Ye who own the faith of Jesus" to any of several tunes, or maybe "Hail, thou star of morning" to C C... I am blessed with a wonderful accompanist in Verne Eke, very adaptable to new material drawn from a hat, and with a few fellow parishioners who like to sing.

Haruo
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to ABC Life and Ministry Forum