[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Baptist-Muslim Dialogue Produces First Steps

Baptist-Muslim Dialogue Produces First Steps

Discuss life and ministry in the American Baptist Churches, USA

Moderator: Haruo

Re: Baptist-Muslim Dialogue Produces First Steps

Postby Haruo » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:32 pm

One of the people I sang with in Evergreen Sounds at the MLK Day service (I think he's the choir director at First Baptist or something) told us he will soon be going on a tour of Turkey (Istanbul-Ephesus-Izmir-Ankara I think) as a Baptist, at the expense of some Turkish Muslim organization and in the context of interfaith dialogue and exchange. Sounds like fun!

Haruo
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:44 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:53 am

Since you are interested in Baptist/Muslim dialogue, I want to report on what we shared yesterday. We offered a one-day seminar "Christians Look at Islam" in our church yesterday. We had 42 people sign up for it, five of them Muslims. Much of the day was spent in the seminar topics, but the last hour was a Q&A time in which the muslims participated. ONe of them was the local imam from the mosque. What I hope the end result will be is a more permanent dialogue between Christians and Muslims in our our community. It is certainly needed. I will try to report more on the event yesterday when I have more time.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:23 pm

That sounds wonderful Dave. Thanks for sharing.

Haruo
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:47 am

Just to give you an update I promised on our six-hour seminar, we dealt with some of these topics:
Why Is It Important to Understand Islam?
How Do Muslims View Adam, Abraham, Jesus, and Muhammad?
Shiite, Sunni, Wahabbi?
Islam in Virginia?
Are Muslims Friends or Foes--Islam and Jihad
This was followed by an open discussion. Our prime facilitator for the day was Dr. Charles Beckett, Director of the Center for Christian Understanding of Islam in Richmond. We were also to have had Dr. George Braswell, but his wife ended up in the hospital in Raleigh. I commend to others doing something of this nature. All participants paid $10 to participate that included lunch. This is the second meeting like this we have done here, the other in 2004. I suspect we need to do something of a similar nature again in 4 to 5 years.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Return to ABC Life and Ministry Forum