[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Americans Ignorant of the First Amendment

Americans Ignorant of the First Amendment

Discuss life and ministry in the American Baptist Churches, USA

Moderator: Haruo

Re: Americans Ignorant of the First Amendment

Postby Haruo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:08 am

Not too encouraging. I wonder how many named the right to bear arms as a First Amendment right...

Haruo
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:34 am

Ed: Tim, is there something that makes this thread of particular import for the ABC Life and Ministry Forum?
Ed Pettibone

Postby ET » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:31 am

I wonder what percentage thinks the phrase "separation of church and state" appears somewhere in the Constitution? I'm sure the ignorance would be reflected in the answer to that question also.

We might also ask folks whether or not the Constitution gives the federal government power to do all sorts of things, like school funding or anything to do with education, social security, medicare, etc. Probably show some Constitutional ignorance with that one too.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Haruo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:46 am

(To Ed) This thread would be appropriate to any of the three main boards here, IMO, though there would probably be an implied criticism of the SBC if it had been started by a non-SBCer in the SB forum. It would also be an appropriate topic on many non-Baptist, and even non-Christian (secular or, say, minoritarian), discussion forums.

Haruo
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:38 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby ET » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:39 am

ET

Postby Bruce Gourley » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:33 am

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Joshua Villines » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:40 pm

"Saying that CBF churches are more progessive than SBC ones because they support the ordination of women is like noting that one flat-earth society is more progressive than the other because it admits to the existence of gravity."
Joshua Villines
Forum Tech Support

Postby Bruce Gourley » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:44 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:32 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby ET » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:54 pm

ET

Postby Bruce Gourley » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:36 am

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Bruce Gourley » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:44 am

A Golden Spur and the inaugural Roger Williams Baptist Freedom Award? Wow! :o :oops: 8) :)

Perhaps I should retire from BaptistLife.Com right now, so I can go out in a blaze of glory. :D
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:30 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:19 pm

I would heartily recommend reading Stephen Prothero's Religious Literacy. I don't agree with his all his prescriptions, but his descriptions are perfectly accurate. That's what we are up against--a country that does not possess religious literacy.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:25 pm

As a former English major, I question how anyone can read literature without an amount of religious literacy. You would hardly understand much of American literature and British literature. Biblical allusions are replete in Shakespeare and almost every novel that is worth reading.

As to the Christian trinket shops, Charles Stanley and the Lakewood Wonder are hadly good religious literature. When I go, I am amazed at the poor quality and the amount of "Christian fiction" that is of a very poor quality. We have cultivated a people who do not read anything of real value. Literacy is hard to find.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:31 pm

I first heard this on a national radio news program (don't remember if it was NPR or WSJradio) and then saw the APB story.

The story behind the story is the poor and declining quality of our public school system. The "shocking" answers to these questions come from the culturally installed viewpoints of the folks in the polling sample. As education and literacy has declined (ironically, at the same time as public spending on education has skyrocketed), we have a citizenry increasingly unable to perform its duty to properly investigate candidates for office and hold them accountable once installed.

This is not an isolated situation.

When I was in grade school (not that many years ago), I was taught that the US had a "living" constitution and that this meant that the constitution could be changed via the ammendment process. Today, we have tenured, terminal degreed professors in colleges and universities teaching that, now, this means that the judiciary can simply redefine the terms (or in certain cases, invent new terms) so that the basis of law can be adjusted to meet new demands or cultural shifts.

The greatest weapon against tyranny is an educated citizenry. Our weapon is in need of repair.
Last edited by Jonathan on Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Postby ET » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:59 pm

ET

Postby Joshua Villines » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:07 pm

"Saying that CBF churches are more progessive than SBC ones because they support the ordination of women is like noting that one flat-earth society is more progressive than the other because it admits to the existence of gravity."
Joshua Villines
Forum Tech Support

Postby Norm » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:27 pm

Central to the thought of John Dewey was the importance of an educated citizenry for a viable democracy.
Norm

Return to ABC Life and Ministry Forum