[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Who else was at the combined ABC-USA /CBF worship 6/29/07

Who else was at the combined ABC-USA /CBF worship 6/29/07

Discuss life and ministry in the American Baptist Churches, USA

Moderator: Haruo

Who else was at the combined ABC-USA /CBF worship 6/29/07

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:51 am

Did you see the blast by David Roach of BP, about our combined Communion activity and supposedly the entire service.

I really wonder if he was present, in the approximately 5000 people I didn't see him.
After his blast he writes "So I let the elements pass by, discouraged that the Fellowship Baptist only celebrated unity abstractly with out articulating a solid doctrinal foundation for that unity." Major flaw here for an astute observer, the elements did not pass by, each person who participated went to where the elements were being served and then back to his or her seat after partaking.
Note, he has already talked about this being "a joint worship service involving the CBF and the American Baptist Churches USA." His blast however seems to be limited to the CBF. That is consistent with his caption Why care about the CBF . The fact that this was a historic Baptist event seemed to be of no interest to him.
Ed Pettibone

Re: Who else was at the combined ABC-USA /CBF worship 6/29/07

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:56 am

Roach is not the only person spreading lies.

A few professors at Baylor stated that "they had heard" that the joint ABC-CBF Celebration was an utter flop with a terrible turn out.

Never could find out who the original source was - but even here at Baylor there are academics (of the evangelical not SBC variety) who wish to discredit the CBF, ABC, and the upcoming Celebration of the New Baptist Covenant.

In my last two posts at - I wrote a few snippy words for Roach and also linked to a story in the Contra Costa Times (San Francisco/Berkeley/Almaeda County) that ran on Tuesday concerning the New Baptist Covenant. The focus was one of my best friends - a McAfee grad who is now an ABC associate pastor and Phd candidate at Graduate Theological Union. However, my name was mentioned a few times as was Bruce Prescott's.

The story can be found

If you (speaking to everyone) haven't already, be sure to book mark or subscribe to the . Bruce P. is doing an excellent job keeping that up to date.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:37 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby pastormikejordan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:18 am

Michael Jordan
Exton, PA
pastormikejordan.blogspot.com
pastormikejordan

Postby pastormikejordan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:42 am

BTW--has it ever been ascertained whether he was actually there or not?

Just curious--

MJ
Michael Jordan
Exton, PA
pastormikejordan

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:02 am

Ed,

We'll leave it at this...

Suffice it to say that any person familiar with Baylor politics over the past 3-4 years knows that Baylor remains bitterly divided and while Underwood was loved by many, he was strongly disliked by quite a few. Any efforts that Underwood leads whether it be NBC or improving Mercer, there will be some who spread misinformation. It's been like 2 or 3 years and I still hear people who claim that Bill Underwood supports Planned Parenthood and thus is pro-abortion. This blog has been created recently and the author notified me just yesterday about it:

And CBF isn't exactly loved by everyone at Baylor. We're barely Baptist. I've already been asked if this Celebration affirms homosexuality since the ABC-USA is involved. That's how the question was worded.
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby pastormikejordan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:14 am

Michael Jordan
Exton, PA
pastormikejordan

Postby pastormikejordan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:53 pm

Michael Jordan
Exton, PA
pastormikejordan

Postby pastormikejordan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:12 pm

Michael Jordan
Exton, PA
pastormikejordan

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:33 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:41 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:43 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:02 pm

Ed,

My point was that folks other than Southern Baptists are attempting to sow discord and smear the New Baptist Covenant, Carter, Underwood and others.

I'm a student. Baylor employees me. I eat lunch. I hear things. But if you want me to name names of people that you've likely never heard of (since I don't think you follow Baylor news) - I'm not going to do that. God knows I'm not that much of an idiot.

Dude, read what I wrote. I'm not connecting problems at Baylor with the NBC and CBF. Merely trying to point out that Southern Baptists aren't the only folks bashing the NBC...

Ed, I'm an Underwood fan as is my father. My family had their fingers crossed that Baylor would wise up and hire Underwood as President. They didn't but thankfully Mercer was smart enough to hire him to replace Godsey (who as one who has suffered b/c of GBC fundamentalists, I admire deeply). Though interim President of Baylor for only a short while - Underwood and his Provost worked some magic for my family. While at the General Assembly, I had a nice conversation with Underwood. He reads my blog.

And not that I expect you to (but if you did), you'd know that I've been praising Bill Underwood's Baptist Summit speech on soul freedom for going on a year now. And when he was being attacked for the alleged Planned Parenthood support - I set the record straight time and time again. By the way, he as an individual and member of 7th & James helped to fund a Planned Parenthood sponsored sex ed course for youth. But many - many folks have smeared him by leaving out that the support was only for the sex education workshop.

Ed, while I applaud the work you're doing to support the NBC - you should know that I've done ALOT along with Bruce Prescott to put the word out about the Celebration. ALOT. I wouldn't have been quoted in the Contra Costa Times if I had not. Underwood himself thanked me for my work...

And of course I know the ABC-USA's position on homosexuality.

I'm well versed in Baptist life. You have to be as the CBF is always being attacked and smeared - not just from Southern Baptists like David Roach either...
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:25 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:05 pm

Ed,

I didn't hang out the dirty linen of any of my friends no matter how you twist my words.

I simply referred to what is the "buzz" around some at Baylor concerning the Celebration.

Ed, who cares if you are impressed. However, I do know that organizers of NBC and generally most supporters are happy when the coverage is POSITIVE which the Contra Costa Times article was...

And Ed, Contra Costa Times serves a chunk of the San Francisco Bay area including Berkeley with 180K circulation. It's not a dinky publication being run out of a two-car garage.

Richmond-Times Dispatch - 214K
Macon Telegraph - 89K
The Jackson Clarion-Ledger - 108K
The Birmingham News - 176K
Florida Times-Union - 214K
Austin American-Statesman - 215

I spent my summers in Richmond growing up. Never considered the Richmond-Times Dispatch to be an obscure news outlet....

Contra Costa is definitely not the Post or Times but hardly obscure, Ed.
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:17 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby pastormikejordan » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:26 am

Michael Jordan
Exton, PA
pastormikejordan

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:20 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:52 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Dr. Danny Chisholm » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:07 pm

I was there, and I too was disappointed at the BP article about the cbf, but not surprised. It's pretty lame to criticize an event for the manner in which they observe the Lord's Supper. You can always do things differently, but overall I had a good experience. I also stayed day for the centennial celebration. It was good to learn a little about the ABC.
Dr. Danny Chisholm

Return to ABC Life and Ministry Forum