[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Roy Medley's Pastoral Letter

Roy Medley's Pastoral Letter

Discuss life and ministry in the American Baptist Churches, USA

Moderator: Haruo

Roy Medley's Pastoral Letter

Postby David Flick » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:54 pm

I'm somewhat at a disadvantage on receiving correspondence from the denomination's head office. Some of the correspondence I receive from Valley Forge comes to my home in Enid and some of it goes to the church. Some of the correspondence goes to . I go to the church on Sundays and Wednesdays. The church treasurer picks up the mail and leaves it on a desk in the church.

Anyway to make a long story short, I received Dr. Roy Medley's pastoral letter at the church. The letter was written on Oct. 3rd and probably didn't get to the church until about Oct. 5th or 7th. I have a hunch that most of the ABCers on the forum probably received a copy of it and I’m the last to read it.

I was thought it was a good letter. Dr. Medley outlines his position on pages 2 & 3. For those who haven't read it, I scanned it and am making it available for the ABC Family Roundtable to read. Maybe it will generate some discussion for the forum.

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Medley's letter

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:53 am

Ed: Tim, you and David are more enthused about Dr. Medley's Autum 2005 pastoral letter than I.

I have hard Roy speak a half dozen times and have read a good deal of what he has written over the past few years, and I have other frinds who know him well and most seem to think he can walk on water, I have yet to see him do so. He is a nice guy and we, the two of you and I, have being ABC and having beards in comon with him.

The Prayer net is neat but hardly original.

He speaks of feelig an "underllying commitment to move forward with the exciting vision of ministry that God is revealing to us." He did acknowledge "that there are srious, honest dfferences among us" he does not address them in this letter.

Ignoring them, excuse me giving only passing acknowlegment to them them does not seem like "radical disciplship" to me.

To me the underlying comitment in Denver was to side step as far as possible from those serious honest diferences among us.

Personaly the "Radical Discipleship" mantra is reminisent of the slogans so often trotted out at SBC meetings of he past. A lot of talk promotng the phrase but little substance.

As an aside, I think Jeff Woods did a good job of putting some definition to the term. Of course I am a Jeff Woods fan. I am usualy a Robert H. Robets fan also, but his protest of storage units left me less than favorably impressed. He could have talked more about atics, basements and garages, to illutrate the same point but folk probly wouldn't pay as much attention.

and as for Dr. Cheryl Wade's item. I am not nearly as sold on eGivng as she, but then it is a part of her job. I think there is something to say for the Bibical admonition to bring the tithe". And no I won't push the "storehouse" concept.

All in all it is a nice promo piece.

And a pep raly is needed once in a while.
Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:43 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby David Flick » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:57 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:04 am

Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Hal Eaton » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:09 am

Hal Eaton

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:22 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby David Flick » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:01 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby jerryl » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:38 am

jerryl

Postby David Flick » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:46 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:27 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:07 pm

Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:09 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:43 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:57 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to ABC Life and Ministry Forum