Getting hooked up with a ministry position

Discuss life and ministry in the American Baptist Churches, USA

Moderator: Haruo

Getting hooked up with a ministry position

Postby Sandy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:52 am

What is the best way to find and get your name in the hat for available church staff and ministry positions in ABC USA?
Sandy
Sandy

Re: Getting hooked up with a ministry position

Postby jerryl » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:00 pm

Timothy Bonney wrote:Sandy,

I've noticed you are in Texas. There aren't many ABC congregations in your kneck of the woods. If you are willing to move north it would be easier.

But, the best thing to do is to make a contact with an ABC region office and find talk with them about privledge of call and getting into the American Baptist Profile System.

If you go to the ABC website you can get a list of region offices. You are in ABC of the South. If you want to stay in the south that would be the best place to start.

Tim

http://www.abcots.org

Timothy's right, there aren't too many of us in Texas, and the ABCOTS regional office is the first 'official' place to contact. I'll PM you with some unoffical stuff.

jerryl
jerryl

Postby Haruo » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:38 pm

Hey Jerry, what is that big brick building (labeled "Hurricane Katrina") that holds center stage on your regional website? The graphics file is just called "index.1".

Haruo
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:51 pm

I'm not opposed to relocating north of the Mason Dixon line. The Chicago area, Michigan and Indiana would be nice, and next to that, Ohio or West Virginia would be wonderful. I'm really open to going wherever there is a need, and I believe my ministry style, Baptist background and not having a "Southern Pedigree" (I was born and raised in Arizona) would be better suited to ABC USA.

I've really been considering a move back into vocational ministry for quite some time. I was burned enough the last time I was involved to proceed carefully, and have taken a lot of time mulling it over. I've sort of been looking around for a couple of years, but really didn't pursue anything seriously. I think I am ready (sigh, deep breath.....) to do that now.

Thanks for the advice.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby jerryl » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:27 pm

Sandy wrote:I'm not opposed to relocating north of the Mason Dixon line. The Chicago area, Michigan and Indiana would be nice, and next to that, Ohio or West Virginia would be wonderful. I'm really open to going wherever there is a need, and I believe my ministry style, Baptist background and not having a "Southern Pedigree" (I was born and raised in Arizona) would be better suited to ABC USA.

I've really been considering a move back into vocational ministry for quite some time. I was burned enough the last time I was involved to proceed carefully, and have taken a lot of time mulling it over. I've sort of been looking around for a couple of years, but really didn't pursue anything seriously. I think I am ready (sigh, deep breath.....) to do that now.

Thanks for the advice.

Sandy, the list of locations is interesting in that four ABC regions, Great Rivers (IL+Missouri), Indiana/Kentucky, Michigan, and Ohio host a fuction called 'Face-to-Face' that is basicly a ministarial job fair. The next one will be in March. Of course you've got to be registered in the American Baptist Placement Service before you can become involved. Since you don't have a ABC recognized ordination, you'll have to get an ok from the ABCOTS Regional Minister.

Don't really know if it would be useful to you, but I thought I'd mention it.

The link is here Face-to-Face

jerryl
jerryl

Postby jerryl » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:27 pm

Haruo wrote:Hey Jerry, what is that big brick building (labeled "Hurricane Katrina") that holds center stage on your regional website? The graphics file is just called "index.1".

Haruo

That's the ABCOTS Mission and Conference Center; usually referred to as the Mission Center. It houses the ABCOTS' Executive Offices, too.

Don't ask me why a region as geographically diverse as ABCOTS has a conference center in Baltimore, Maryland in the region's far northeastern corner, but we do. Don't get me started.

jerryl
jerryl

Postby Haruo » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:38 am

If you need some pointers on the theological leanings of different regions drop me a note. ABC runs the gamut from conservative to liberal.

Tim

Yeah, and Evergreen is not the only relatively liberal region imbedded in a metropolitan sort of way within a sea of relative conservatism. I was intrigued to note that there are no, that's right, no ABE congregations in New England except in Maine.

Haruo
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:15 pm

Haruo wrote:

If you need some pointers on the theological leanings of different regions drop me a note. ABC runs the gamut from conservative to liberal.

Tim

Yeah, and Evergreen is not the only relatively liberal region imbedded in a metropolitan sort of way within a sea of relative conservatism. I was intrigued to note that there are no, that's right, no ABE congregations in New England except in Maine.

Haruo

Ed: And where Haruo did you so note "no ABE congregations in New England except in Maine."?

That sounded strange so I jumped through the hoops to register on the ABE site, and looked at the New England states and found these results Maine 18, New Hampshier 9, Vermont 2, Massachusetts, 12, Rhode Island 2, Connecticut 1 . TOTAL 44, They also list 19 for all of New York State, wich is not a part of New England. They lump all three regions in NY together.
I note thta our association (Adirondack) has no ABE churches listed. The some what left leaning CABA (Captial Area Bapist Association has at 3, and some are in the NYC region. I am not famlar enough with the Westrn part of the state to identify those that may be in the Rochester/Genessee region.
Ed Pettibone

Postby David Flick » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:28 pm

Ed wrote:
Haruo wrote:Yeah, and Evergreen is not the only relatively liberal region imbedded in a metropolitan sort of way within a sea of relative conservatism. I was intrigued to note that there are no, that's right, no ABE congregations in New England except in Maine.

Haruo

And where Haruo did you so note "no ABE congregations in New England except in Maine."?

That sounded strange so I jumped through the hoops to register on the ABE site, and looked at the New England states and found these results Maine 18, New Hampshier 9, Vermont 2, Massachusetts, 12, Rhode Island 2, Connecticut 1 . TOTAL 44, They also list 19 for all of New York State, wich is not a part of New England. They lump all three regions in NY together.
I note thta our association (Adirondack) has no ABE churches listed. The some what left leaning CABA (Captial Area Bapist Association has at 3, and some are in the NYC region. I am not famlar enough with the Westrn part of the state to identify those that may be in the Rochester/Genessee region.

I thought the same thing, Ed, so I went out and counted. While I was out counting, you posted this info and beat me to the draw. My figures are the same as yours except I counted 20 in NY.

Since I don't live in the North East, I've forgotten exactly what states comprise New England... I thought NY was part of New England. Bring me up to speed and name the New England states for me. Anyway, it's obvious that Pennsylvania isn't part of New England, but they have a ton of ABE churches. I counted 43...
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:15 pm

I'm reassured to know there are ABE churches in "the rest" of New England. I was basing my assessment on the map, where I could get a clickable hand over Maine and New York but not in between.

Haruo
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:42 pm

David Flick wrote:
Ed wrote:
Haruo wrote:Yeah, and Evergreen is not the only relatively liberal region imbedded in a metropolitan sort of way within a sea of relative conservatism. I was intrigued to note that there are no, that's right, no ABE congregations in New England except in Maine.

Haruo

And where Haruo did you so note "no ABE congregations in New England except in Maine."?

I thought the same thing, Ed, so I went out and counted. While I was out counting, you posted this info and beat me to the draw. My figures are the same as yours except I counted 20 in NY.

Since I don't live in the North East, I've forgotten exactly what states comprise New England... I thought NY was part of New England. Bring me up to speed and name the New England states for me. Anyway, it's obvious that Pennsylvania isn't part of New England, but they have a ton of ABE churches. I counted 43...

Ed: Daivid I believe he six states I liked first with their numbers of ABE churches are all of the New Englad states. I was corrected a couple times when I refered o NY as New England shorly after moving to the state. Agin the 6 New England States are ME. VT, NH, CT, MA and RI.

Interesting Penn has only one less ABE church than all of New England.
I will have to take another look at the NY list but you are probaly right about the 20. I fiind it intereting that the thee I know are in a left laning association that has at least two W&A churches.

BTW, we are accuainted with the pastors of two of the listed curches and I am not sure either identify themselves as being ABE. I have never heard them mention it. The one pastor that I do know to be a member in this association does not have his church listed
Ed Pettibone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:46 pm

Ed: David the New England States are as I have them listed.

ME, NH, Vt, CT, MA and RI.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:41 pm

Timothy Bonney wrote:In some cases churches may have joined before the current pastor and he many not feel the same about the ABE as the church did.

I've also known of instances where a pastor might at a church to a membership without them knowing about it. Personally, no matter what the group, I think that is unethical.

Tim

Ed: Tim what is that next to the last sentence supposed to say? Is "at" supposed to be add? I don't think I have ever heard of a pastor adding a church to membership in an organization w/o knowlge of the church. If that is what you mean I would agree that it is unethical.
Ed Pettibone

Postby jerryl » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:58 pm

Timothy Bonney wrote:I know of at least one instance where I believe this happened with a church being listed as an ABE affiliate.

Tim

There's a little bit of a temptation by the ABE folks on this one.

Individual memberships to ABE cost between $20-35 dollars. Church memberships cost nothing. Churches are ask to support ABE financially, but no check is expected when a church sends in its paperwork.

jerryl
jerryl

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:36 pm

jerryl wrote:
Timothy Bonney wrote:I know of at least one instance where I believe this happened with a church being listed as an ABE affiliate.

Tim

There's a little bit of a temptation by the ABE folks on this one.

Individual memberships to ABE cost between $20-35 dollars. Church memberships cost nothing. Churches are ask to support ABE financially, but no check is expected when a church sends in its paperwork.

jerryl

Ed: Any cases of a pastor listing a church as W&A or, perhaps Alliance or even CBF without approval of the congregation? :wink:
Ed Pettibone

Postby jerryl » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:13 pm

Ed Pettibone wrote:
Ed: Any cases of a pastor listing a church as W&A or, perhaps Alliance or even CBF without approval of the congregation? :wink:

Yea, right, Ed. And if they did, it would be a serious breach of ethics. You know of any such occurance?

All I said was ABE does not request a contribution when a church membership application is made. AWAB requires:

1) A written “Statement of Welcome and Affirmation”

This might be a part of a mission statement, a vote by the
Diaconate, a portion of the church by-laws, a document created by a study group and approved by the church, a statement about the congregation's history with the gay community, etc.

2) An indication of the source of the statement.

Briefly outline the source of the W&A statement and the process by which it was drafted, indicate how approved (was the statement approved by a particular board, voted on by the whole church/organization, etc.?) and give the date of final approval of the statement and request for AWAB membership. Include minutes if possible. If your process was not this formal, give us some background information.

3) A membership appllication

4) A Membership Donation. The minumum suggested amount is $100.

It's not quite as easy for a church to become a member of AWAB as it is to become a ABE member.

I do know individual pastors who are AofB members, but they don't consider their church AofB

I guess a pastor could put an Ad in a local publication or place a W&A affirmation on a web site without church approval, but again, it would be unethical.

jerryl
jerryl

Return to ABC Life and Ministry Forum