Overkand Park is not in Kansas City

Discuss life and ministry in the American Baptist Churches, USA

Moderator: Haruo

Overkand Park is not in Kansas City

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:30 am

A couple things make my wonder if Bob Allen was in attendance at the ABC Biennial the week before last.

For one he said Overland Park is in Kansas City, Ks, It is not, it is a Suburb Of KC

Overland Park
City in Kansas
Overland Park /ˈoʊvərlənd ˈpɑrk/ is the second most populous city in the State of Kansas. Located in Johnson County, it is a suburb of Kansas City, and the second most populous city in the Kansas City metropolitan area. Wikipedia
Area: 75.37 mi² (195.2 km²)
Weather: 74°F (23°C), Wind S at 10 mph (16 km/h), 84% Humidity
Hotels: 3-star averaging $140. View hotels
Local time: Monday 7:02 AM
Population: 181,260 (2013)

BTW we got a much better rate at our 4.5 star Motel just across the traffic circle from the Convention center. And I note, the temperature has moderated. :)

Secondly in his report of the Sermon by Rev Dr. Amy Butler he makes no mention of the rather rapid but quiet departure of several folk as soon as she made her celebrative statement about the Supreme Court's same sex marriage decision earlier that day. From discussion over the next few days I learned that I was not the only one who while not sharing her excitement, stayed to hear her out. I agree with her overall thesis that the church needs to be on the forefront of eliminating racism and violence however I question the methodology that she proposes. TiC - Would she permit only professional chefs to posses and use knives or professional, at least semi professional ball players to use baseball bats? Please note. I do support better enforcement of current gun laws in most places.
Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Re: Overkand Paark is not in Kansas City

Postby Haruo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:57 am

Overkand Paark is not even in Kansas let alone in Kansas City. But Overland Park is a suburb of Kansas City. Whether Overland Park is "in" "Kansas City" depends on whether by Kansas City one means a particular incorporated municipality, or whether one means an MSA. Using it one way rather than the other is not as far as I can see any reason to doubt a person was there. What makes you doubt him, Ed?

And while we're picking nits in all directions, I would question whether Overland Park can be properly called a Suburb of Kansas City, KS, since it is more than 30,000 residents ahead of the latter in population. Although if you meant KC in the generic sense that ignores state lines, OP is probably rightly called a suburb of the combined MO/KS KC.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Overland Paark is not in Kansas City

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:59 pm

Haruo wrote:Overkand Paark is not even in Kansas let alone in Kansas City. But Overland Park is a suburb of Kansas City. Whether Overland Park is "in" "Kansas City" depends on whether by Kansas City one means a particular incorporated municipality, or whether one means an MSA. Using it one way rather than the other is not as far as I can see any reason to doubt a person was there. What makes you doubt him, Ed?

And while we're picking nits in all directions, I would question whether Overland Park can be properly called a Suburb of Kansas City, KS, since it is more than 30,000 residents ahead of the latter in population. Although if you meant KC in the generic sense that ignores state lines, OP is probably rightly called a suburb of the combined MO/KS KC.

Ed: Hauro, Statistical Metropolitan Areas do not define Cities or towns. When I managed the Employment Security Office in Lwarenceburg, Indiana (Now Indiana Department of Workforce Development), Dearborne county where we were and parts of two other Indiana counties were in the Cincinnati SMA that did not make us a part of either Cincinnati or Ohio. SMA's are simply a tool of the Census bureau and Labor Department. I could wish that we had been on the Ohio pay scale but then folk in the Kentucky offices would like to have even been on our pay scale. Our office also served 5 other Indiana counties. Back in the day I bought my booze in Indiana, Cigarettes in Kentucky and Gasoline in Ohio. During part of that time I lived in Cincinnati and commuted to work. Most of the time I drove from Ohio into Indiana but to change it up I some time left Lawrenceburg and drove through Kentucky and stopped to eat and then to my apartment near the University if Cincinnati.

Cities and towns in each state are separate legal entities by statute. In Kansas, Kansas City which is somewhat older than Overland Park is the dominant reference point on the west side of the Kansas/Missouri state line There is in fact some undeveloped land between KC Kansas and KC, Missouri. We saw this on our bus tour from Overland Park in to Kansas City Kansas and into Kansas City Mo. to visit Both Museum of professional Negro Baseball, and The KC Jazz Museum both housed in the same facility. As for the misspelling of Park, I blame it on a reflexive action of my left index finger due to my arthritis.

By the way Hauro I didn't say I doubted Bob Allen. I said I wondered if he was at the Biennial big difference. What he wrote could be found on news wire feeds. And I did not see him. But with around 1,600 people according to his figures, I could have missed him.
Ed Pettibone wrote:A couple things make my wonder if Bob Allen was in attendance at the ABC Biennial the week before last.

For one he said Overland Park is in Kansas City, Ks, It is not, it is a Suburb Of KC

Overland Park
City in Kansas
Overland Park /ˈoʊvərlənd ˈpɑrk/ is the second most populous city in the State of Kansas. Located in Johnson County, it is a suburb of Kansas City, and the second most populous city in the Kansas City metropolitan area. Wikipedia
Area: 75.37 mi² (195.2 km²)
Weather: 74°F (23°C), Wind S at 10 mph (16 km/h), 84% Humidity
Hotels: 3-star averaging $140. View hotels
Local time: Monday 7:02 AM
Population: 181,260 (2013)

BTW we got a much better rate at our 4.5 star Motel just across the traffic circle from the Convention center. And I note, the temperature has moderated. :)

Secondly in his report of the Sermon by Rev Dr. Amy Butler he makes no mention of the rather rapid but quiet departure of several folk as soon as she made her celebrative statement about the Supreme Court's same sex marriage decision earlier that day. From discussion over the next few days I learned that I was not the only one who while not sharing her excitement, stayed to hear her out. I agree with her overall thesis that the church needs to be on the forefront of eliminating racism and violence however I question the methodology that she proposes. TiC - Would she permit only professional chefs to posses and use knives or professional, at least semi professional ball players to use baseball bats? Please note. I do support better enforcement of current gun laws in most places.
Ed Pettibone

Re: Overkand Park is not in Kansas City

Postby Haruo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:52 pm

There is no law saying you have to use toponyms the way they are defined by statute. The farther you get from a place, the more its borders blur. Heck, I think of Yonkers as being in New York!!
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:56 pm

Haruo wrote:There is no law saying you have to use toponyms the way they are defined by statute. The farther you get from a place, the more its borders blur. Heck, I think of Yonkers as being in New York!!

I get that Haruo. I'm from Kirkwood, MO which is a suburb of St. Louis. But when more than 200 miles away from St. Louis I always tell people I'm from St. Louis or the St. Louis metro. Kirkwood is in St. Louis County so the statement is fairly accurate and certainly accurate enough for someone who isn't from the area.

I would say that both Missourians and Kansans don't like KC MO and KC KS mixed up with each other. I lived in the north part of Kansas City while in seminary. (That isn't North Kansas City, that is yet another municipality in the area.)
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:44 pm

Haruo wrote:There is no law saying you have to use toponyms the way they are defined by statute. The farther you get from a place, the more its borders blur. Heck, I think of Yonkers as being in New York!!

Ed: Hauro, I believe that when publicly reporting on an event it is incumbent on members of the press to be more accurate in regard to the location, than I might expect regarding what is common in general conversation.

And I appreciate Tim's comment that "I would say that both Missourians and Kansans don't like KC MO and KC KS mixed up with each other" especially, since he has lived in the area.
Ed Pettibone

Return to ABC Life and Ministry Forum