Final note from Overland Park,

Discuss life and ministry in the American Baptist Churches, USA

Moderator: Haruo

Final note from Overland Park,

Postby TrudyU » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:45 pm

Ed: I may have more to say about this 1st ABC My a rather distinguished looking Summit while stopping on the way to Greensboro

Tonight's Worship service was fabulous, even with a few misspoken words. more on that latter.

At the end of the service I was approached by a rather well dressed man who had more or less staring at me during the final song.

He asked aren't you Ed Pettibone of Baptistlife.com then he introduced himself as JSturty, some of you will recognize the name he was here for a while in 2009. In the press of the crowd we lost one another. Maybe he will show up again soon. Hopefully.
TrudyU

Re: Final note from Overland Park,

Postby Haruo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:43 pm

TrudyU wrote:Ed: He asked aren't you Ed Pettibone of Baptistlife.com then he introduced himself as JSturty, some of you will recognize the name he was here for a while in 2009. In the press of the crowd we lost one another. Maybe he will show up again soon. Hopefully.

I will try to keep a lookout for him, but if he's reregistering I have scant hope of recognizing him unless he uses a better name than JSturty. I deleted another 7 pages' worth of new registrants this morning, all looked like spam to me, but "JSturty" would probably look like spam to me unless I knew better (which in that case I now do). But I scan down the name list rapidly and am not confident of my ability to see "real names" that look like this. A Captcha system would be a vast improvement.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby TrudyU » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:17 am

Haruo wrote:
TrudyU wrote:Ed: He asked aren't you Ed Pettibone of Baptistlife.com then he introduced himself as JSturty, some of you will recognize the name he was here for a while in 2009. In the press of the crowd we lost one another. Maybe he will show up again soon. Hopefully.

I will try to keep a lookout for him, but if he's reregistering I have scant hope of recognizing him unless he uses a better name than JSturty. I deleted another 7 pages' worth of new registrants this morning, all looked like spam to me, but "JSturty" would probably look like spam to me unless I knew better (which in that case I now do). But I scan down the name list rapidly and am not confident of my ability to see "real names" that look like this. A Captcha system would be a vast improvement.

Ed: Haruo, he is still registered by that name.

This brings up another subject; I think perhaps BL.C has lost a number of participants because they did not record their password. And if they drop out for a while they have a problem signing in. And I am discovering more and more folk who do not know of this site. I thought maybe it was ABC folk noting the still heavy SBC bent. But I mentioned it to three fellows yesterday here at the CBF Assenbky and none have ever heard of it.
TrudyU

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:23 pm

TrudyU wrote:
This brings up another subject; I think perhaps BL.C has lost a number of participants because they did not record their password. And if they drop out for a while they have a problem signing in. And I am discovering more and more folk who do not know of this site. I thought maybe it was ABC folk noting the still heavy SBC bent. But I mentioned it to three fellows yesterday here at the CBF Assenbky and none have ever heard of it.

Part of what is hurting us is that we are using a PHPBBS system. You might notice if you search the internet that fewer and fewer people are using the kind of system we are using opting instead to create Facebook groups.

When I tried to start Methodist forum some months ago I advertised on some very popular Methodist pages on Facebook but no one wanted to bother to learn this older forum setup when they were all already in a facebook group together.

I know not everyone here is on Facebook (or maybe even likes it.) But I've wonder if this group should consider branching out and having a Facebook group. I honestly think a BaptistLife Facebook group would attract more participants.

As for me I'll hang out here as long as you all are here. But I've already figured out all the Methodist seem to be on social media.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby TrudyU » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:46 pm

Ed; Maybe that is where the ABC folk are also, we sure haven't attracted many. But I am convinced that the devil invented Face Book. TIC
TrudyU

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:56 pm

TrudyU wrote:Ed; Maybe that is where the ABC folk are also, we sure haven't attracted many. But I am convinced that the devil invented Face Book. TIC

There are things I like and dislike about Facebook. I've managed to reconnect with some good friends from High School and College. In fact a high school friend and other former member of Kirkwood Baptist Church on Facebook was the first contact I made when I decided to talk to the UMC. He is now a District Superintendent in the UMC.

But people misuse Facebook and I'm not sure that Facebook doesn't misuse our data. I also don't like the monopoly on communication that it almost gives Facebook.

That being said though, there are about 600 United Methodist Pastors in a private FB group for UMC clergy that is quite active. I can't find anyplace else on the internet that is as active. I've not check for Baptists but I'd not be surprised to find a much more active Baptist forum on FB than BL.com.

I like this software better. But it certainly isn't what is popular now.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Return to ABC Life and Ministry Forum