Evergreen Annual Meeting

Discuss life and ministry in the American Baptist Churches, USA

Moderator: Haruo

Evergreen Annual Meeting

Postby Haruo » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:12 pm

The Evergreen Annual Meeting took place the last two days at Mount Zion Baptist Church in Seattle. The guest preacher was Rev. Jacqueline Thompson, from Allen Temple Baptist Church in Oakland, California. She preached on Ruth on Friday, on "We're better when we're together" and the value and discomfort of the kind of covenantal relationship exemplified by Ruth and Naomi (and, of course, Boaz). This is one of my favorite texts, because Ruth is of course one of the Ancestresses of Jesus that I wrote my homiletic ballad, "Who'd Have Thought the Lord Almighty" about. The stanza at issue is
Who'd have thought that, of all nations, God would call on Moab's aid
To advance the cause of salvation? That a needed role played
A widowed exile sprung from Sodom, and from incest—that her part
Would be great-grandmother in Israel of a man after God's own heart?
Then this morning she preached on the woman with the 12-year issue of blood ("She only touched the hem of his garment") and "Just Do It!" A truly amazing preacher, I think.

It was decided that, following CBF's lead ;-), we (the Euro Caucus, if not the whole Region) will hold a Sacred Conversation in the coming year on the subject of sexual orientation.

We welcomed two new churches to the Region. One is the Washington Chin Baptist Church, a Hakha Chin-language congregation that meets in Tukwila, near where Mrs H and I live. I may end up going there with some frequency.

The other new Evergreen church probably made ABC history, as it is located in Venezuela. It is the second church in our new Hispanic Caucus (and the Chin church is the third in our Asian Caucus). It has wanted a relationship with ABC for some years, but apparently has not been able to establish one through IM because of an anti-poaching agreement with the Southern Baptists, and the only other convention in Venezuela that they could join is Pentecostal, which is also not them. It's a rural ("village") church, too, so it's a new thing for us in more ways than just distance. We're looking forward to seeing what our relationship can become, and what we can learn from each other.

Good food and fellowship. Reasonably well-handled consensus-reaching practices. Not (IMO) enough congregational song on Friday, though we had a good set this morning, largely led by the Hispanic caucus's Vasquez family band.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Return to ABC Life and Ministry Forum