Time to start thinking about the 2013 Biennial

Discuss life and ministry in the American Baptist Churches, USA

Moderator: Haruo

Time to start thinking about the 2013 Biennial

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:54 pm

Which will be held in Kansas City:

Actually, Overland Park Convention Center in Overland Park, KS. A short drive from Kansas City, MO June 21,22,23 -2013

http://www.abc-mi.org/?q=node/1250
Ed Pettibone

Re: Time to start thinking about the 2013 Biennial

Postby Haruo » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:48 pm

Probably an even shorter drive from Kansas City, Kansas! ;-)
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Re:Time to start thinking about the 2013 Biennial

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:31 am

Haruo wrote:Probably an even shorter drive from Kansas City, Kansas! ;-)

Ed: Haruo, there is but 6 tenths of a mile difference. :roll: From here it is 1,261 Miles and having driven 1,151 miles of that same trip two weeks ago, at our meeting on Saturday I asked for and received permission from our Board of Missions to explore the possibility of organizing an ABC-NYS bus trip for the 2013 Mission Summit / Biennial.

My round trip gas cost was $306.00, to say nothing of wear and tear, plus $140.00 for motels, $70 x2, (one night each way). I think we can do the bus trip at around $159.00 to $215.00 Per person. Not including a motel near the meeting site for the duration of the meeting. And of course food and registration for the meeting is extra.
Ed Pettibone

Re: Re:Time to start thinking about the 2013 Biennial

Postby TrudyU » Sun May 26, 2013 10:17 pm

Ed Pettibone wrote:
Haruo wrote:Probably an even shorter drive from Kansas City, Kansas! ;-)

Ed: Haruo, there is but 6 tenths of a mile difference. :roll: From here it is 1,261 Miles and having driven 1,151 miles of that same trip two weeks ago, at our meeting on Saturday I asked for and received permission from our Board of Missions to explore the possibility of organizing an ABC-NYS bus trip for the 2013 Mission Summit / Biennial.

My round trip gas cost was $306.00, to say nothing of wear and tear, plus $140.00 for motels, $70 x2, (one night each way). I think we can do the bus trip at around $159.00 to $215.00 Per person. Not including a motel near the meeting site for the duration of the meeting. And of course food and registration for the meeting is extra.

Ed: The bus trip did not materialize, just not enough prospective riders. I have enjoyed the 4 Biennials that we have attended, and look forward to this one. We are thinking about in 2015 and in a rare occasion, it will again be in Overland Park. Doing two years there, ABC got some good rates.

This year we will be going from there to Greensboro, NC for the CBF Assembly the following week. We hope o see some of you at one or both meetings.
TrudyU

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun May 26, 2013 11:01 pm

I think it is a good idea not to move the Biennial as often. It does give changes for better deals. I used to very much enjoy going.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby TrudyU » Wed May 29, 2013 6:29 pm

Timothy Bonney wrote:I think it is a good idea not to move the Biennial as often. It does give changes for better deals. I used to very much enjoy going.

Ed; If we get a good deal, I agree it can be a good idea. On the other hand I like go go to different places so that we (Tudy and I) can play tourist, before, after, during or all three.
TrudyU

Postby Haruo » Thu May 30, 2013 2:13 am

Most places can support two years' worth of brief tourist play. I'm guessing the KC area (both sides) is no exception.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby TrudyU » Thu May 30, 2013 7:12 pm

Haruo wrote:Most places can support two years' worth of brief tourist play. I'm guessing the KC area (both sides) is no exception.

Ed: Neither Trudy and I are not a whole lot into touristy games and rides that are duplicated with just different names and gaudy decor from one place to the next. Keep in mind we have lived in Florida. Museums, Zoos, Educational facilities, Historic structures, Battle grounds, Forts and churches are favorites. And we love to explore large cities and prefer local Restaurants to National chains. Central Seminary is the only place that I know of in the KC area that I really want to visit. We have done the Zoo, Arch and Baseball Stadium and River Boats in St Louis, And our daughter lives high on a hill overlooking the Lake of The Ozarks. We spend some time in NYC almost every year. Chicago is probably Trudy's favorit We did visit the Space needle in Seattle when we where on the way to a mission project in Oregon. We attended an American Academy of Religion Association in Los Angeles one year. We have attended at least three different Meetings of one sort or another in New Orleans, love the Jazz on Bourbon St. and the Art on Pirates Ally and the Supper dome is a magnificent structure. Of course there is the Cafe Du Monde know to many as a major site in the SBC take over, but both the coffee and Beignets are great. We have attended CBF national meetings in Houston and Fort Worth, Louisville, Tampa Fl.,Atlanta Ga., Charlotte NC, Birmingham, Al., Washinton D.C.. And Regional meetings in Bloomington In. (Home of Indiana University), for regional CBF meeting, Southern IL. University and Carbondale Il hosted another meeting of the CBF Central Region, also Judson University hosted one of those meeting in the Chicago area. Our annual BFNE or BFN retreat is generally held at the Walker Center near Boston. But our BFN spring meeting gets move around the region. We Have been in Hanover NH, Swansea MA, Meto Church in NYC, Wilton and Danbury Ct. as well as Lewiston Main, and Burnthills, Ny . We have attended ABC-USA Biennials in Richmond VA., Washington DC, and Denver.
The most touristy was us was an international meeting of the Society Of Biblical Literature, at the University of Lausanne in Switzerland.
I personally like to find the different flavor of different locations. But then in 21 years Trudy and I have lived in Ft Myers,& Tampa Fl., Louisville, KY., Cincinnati OH., The Adirondacks and Capital area of NY state. She was raised in W. Palm Beach Florida and I was raised in Fort Wayne IN. I have also lived in Georgia, Alabama and Arkansas. She has also lived in Pennsylvania and Nebraska. I guess we are sort of Gypsies a heart. :)
TrudyU

Return to ABC Life and Ministry Forum