[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Biblical Baptist

Biblical Baptist

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: Biblical Baptist

Postby Abel » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:38 pm

Abel

Postby Bruce Gourley » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:45 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Abel » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:56 pm

Abel

Postby Bruce Gourley » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:04 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Abel » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:26 pm

Abel

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:44 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Bruce Gourley » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:50 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:17 pm

Ed: And Hal, let me add my congratulations of that 65th milestone. :thumb:
Ed Pettibone

Postby Abel » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:57 pm

Abel

Postby Haruo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:43 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Bruce Gourley » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:12 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Abel » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:36 pm

No, what I have done is exactly what I said. I take the verse in its full context. Look at the portion of scripture in I Timothy you are referring to, but let's look at it in full context:

1 Timothy 2:9-10 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

Paul was emphasizing the uselessness of putting on the dog (as we say down here). He was referring to the importance of modest apparel. He was also stressing the fact that it is not the outward beauty that is important, but doing well. Good works done for Christ makes a woman more beautiful than all the gold and pearls she can wear.

However, he then describes a woman’s limitations lest they believe their good works should involve roles assigned to men: 1 Timothy 2:11-12 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

He then explains the reason for a woman’s restriction in the ministry:1 Timothy 2:13-15 For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Eve showed poor judgment by being deceived. As a result, she is forbidden from holding office over a man. Personally, I believe Adam showed worse judgment by knowingly eating the fruit, but I don’t see things from God’s perspective.

Now, please tell me how I have sliced and diced these verses to square with my personal opinion. Where have I misused these verses?
Abel

Postby Bruce Gourley » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:49 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Abel » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:28 pm

That was not Paul's command. Again, read the portion in context. He was speaking of dressing modestly. They were not to be drawing attention to themselves. Had Paul simply said “Women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array.” period, that would have been your clear command. Then that should be what we go by. But that is not all he said. That is not what he meant. Do not omit V.10. It is a continuation of v.9. He said rather, they should adorn themselves with good works if they claimed to be Godly women. Now, if we took this verse by the letter, we’d have naked women running around in churches. Paul was explaining it is better to be adorned with good works rather than the jewelry and fancy clothes.

However, when we come to verses 11&12, there is no contrast made to anything else. He says women are not to teach or exercise authority over a man. Period. No comparison, no analogy, no metaphor, just a simple restriction.
Abel

Postby Bruce Gourley » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:54 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Abel » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:35 pm

I am through with you Bruce. Your unchristian attitude towards me has been distasteful from your opening post. I do not appreciate it. Instead of proper Bible discussion, you resort to cheap ad hominem insults. You claim the Bible contains errors and contradictions, yet you have the gall to say I am a Bible-abuser.

When I PM’d you and asked for you to show respect, I should have known the type of person you really were when you told me the only reason I was in your “digital living room” was by your permission and if I couldn’t handle the heat I should go play somewhere else. Not one time have you displayed Christian charity towards me.

I refuse to lower myself to you tactics. Hopefully others here will see your true colours. Go ahead and claim your victory. I’m sure you are proud of yourself for offending a Christian brother, if indeed you are a Christian. I am shaking the dust of BL off my feet.
Abel

Postby Haruo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:29 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:37 pm

Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Bruce Gourley » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:44 pm

Indeed, we all see through a glass darkly. And there is no shame in admitting so.
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:05 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:06 pm

Abel, if you are still reading consider being a non-judgmental fundamentalist who is not quick to judge other Christian's thought patterns. Stick to your beliefs and argue back but let others have their beliefs w/o cries of judgment as to the Christian-ness (if there is such a word) of those that see the Bible in a different light than you do (as if your have the right to judge). I can and do respect such non-judgmental fundamentalists.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:20 am

Abel reminds me of the folks at Corinth who were all torn up with speaking in tongues and battling one another over it.

He ends his classic directions with these words: "So abide these three: faith, hope, and love----but the greatest of these is love."

Let's hope he learns about the definition of Agape = "unfailing good will."
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:57 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Hal Eaton » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:10 am

Abel has adopted the time-honored rule which guarantees you can win (at least by tedium) every argument:

Ask your opponent to define his terms. (Then define them for him . . .)
It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. -- Thomas Paine
Hal Eaton

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:13 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum