"Winn-Dixie"

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Postby mlovell » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:35 pm

Took my nine-year-old granddaughter to see it Friday afternoon, and we both loved it. There were quite a few family groups in the theater, as you'd expect -- but also quite a few adult couples unaccompanied by children, and they seemed to like it, too.

Hadn't thought of the dog as being a "Christ figure," and went looking for that reference in a review. Was it the one in Christianity Today? If so, I think they give us some good clues as to what they mean.

Christianity Today -- (The dog drags) Opal from one new and unexpected destination to another, inadvertently introducing her to new friends of all ages. . . .

Winn-Dixie can be seen as a mischievous agent of grace who brings the unpredictable into people's lives yet also helps to bring those people together into a sense of community in which there is neither male nor female, black nor white, young nor old. . . .

Still, it's not a comparison you'd want to take too far, as the review confirms.
Which is not to say that Because of Winn-Dixie is a straightforward allegory; it's more complex than that. Winn-Dixie himself is a wounded soul who, it turns out, is scared of lightning storms. When he wakes up in the middle of the night and starts running back and forth in the trailer, knocking down every object in sight, Opal and her father can only sit and stare; if they let him out of the trailer, he might run out into the storm and become lost again. Sometimes bearing someone else's burden may mean sitting back and letting them trash the place.

I'm glad I read the review, especially for the rest of the paragraph above. I think the final sentence is right on -- and a very hard thing to learn, too. (Some Alcoholics Anonymous/AlAnon is a bit like this.)

I do think it's well worth the investment of time and money. Hope you and yours like it, too.
mlovell

Motorcycle diaries

Postby fox » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:11 pm

is out on DVD. Young Che Guevara taking a coming of age ride across South America. Was He a Christ figure.
Joe Christmas in Light in August was a Christ figure.
JC, get it. It got me to thinking about the salvific uses of literature.
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

Great exploration of the film company behind WD phenom

Postby fox » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:49 pm

http://www.ethicsdaily.com/article_detail.cfm?AID=5444

Fascinating article. I still think there is a place for R, but this is a good sign
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum