[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - 52 churches in 52 weeks: "the other CBF"

52 churches in 52 weeks: "the other CBF"

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: 52 churches in 52 weeks: "the other CBF"

Postby Haruo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:06 am

so May 29 was the Ascension and Completorium (Latin for Compline), I guess.

June 19 I was in Emeryville for the Esperanto convention, and attended morning worship at First Baptist Church of Berkeley. A very small, mostly young crowd; 17 or 18 people, I think, myself included, and a couple of the others were also visitors. It was Father's Day, which probably reduced attendance a bit, but still it was obviously one of the smaller congregations I've worshiped with. Very good hymns (five songs in all, I think, most of them new but to existing hymn tunes). The Pastor, Nancy Hall, is a friend from both Evergreen meetings and the Hymn Society (she edits The Hymn), and it was good to see her. They were having a hymn festival of hymns by GLBT hymnists that afternoon at First Congregational (in whose chapel First Baptist meets), but I had to get back to the Esperantists. Sometimes you wish you could be in two places at once, y'know?

June 12 we went to church at the church we attended in high school, in Kirkland. My sister was up from Mexico for a few days, and it was my Aunt Annie's last Sunday there after 50 years; she's moving to an apartment in Walla Walla.

I think June 5th I went to Fremont, but I'm not actually sure now. And June 6th would have been the Bahá'í devotionals. So there you go. Still pretty much on track, I think.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Updated list and reply to Bethany CC

Postby Haruo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:18 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Blake » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:19 pm

Being in Seattle, do you plan to go to a Mars Hill campus?
"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Haruo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:57 pm

The wind 4151 bloweth 4154 where 3699 it listeth 2309, and 2532 thou hearest 191 the sound 5456 thereof 846, but 235 canst 1492 0 not 3756 tell 1492 whence 4159 it cometh 2064, and 2532 whither 4226 it goeth 5217: so 3779 is 2076 every one 3956 that is born 1080 of 1537 the Spirit 4151.

If it were up to me, yes, but it's up to God. We'll see. ;-)

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:56 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:04 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:50 am

This week will be , it looks like. An , which I believe means a Mars Hill spinoff, in Renton (our neck of the woods). This will be two Mars Hill-related churches back to back. I'll be interested in seeing how much similarity and how much difference I note. Also, since this one had an African origin (formerly " Church"), seeing how much evidence of nourishment from the old roots I see, and how it may affect the music.

Other candidates this week included , the , and (DOC). Also possibly the Tagalog service at the local Kingdom Hall. All of these will figure in my itinerary later this year, I hope.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:36 am

Your reports are most interesting!

In the above you mention Acts 29 churches and Mars Hill churches. Are you sensing some kind of re-grouping over the old and simple denomination connections?
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Haruo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:46 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:12 pm

I am observing an over all mistrust of denominational mission sending approaches in favor of the local church sending its teams to do mission work---which usually consists of building something.

What I have observed in many "lay renewal" events is a somewhat convoluted bunch of people who are the lay witnesses and tend to sit together and enjoy their celebrity over against mingling with the congregation members they are trying to inspire.

I sense a change fostered with mistrust of wider denominational relationships.

I am told by a former missionary to Brazil that their culture dictates they be nice and superficially responsive to foreigners who come their way. As soon as the foreigners leave they return to their native ways, whatever they might be. The guests think they have made a great mark in their prospects, but the reality is that nothing has really changed and real change is slow under the influence of the resident missionaries.

Does this resonate with any of your observations?
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Haruo » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:36 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:46 pm

This has been a particularly dismal emotional month with the economy sliding further back. I sense that Grief is a main ingredient in the lives of most frustrated Americans these days.

Are you seeing much addressing of such as the churches are visited?
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Haruo » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:42 pm

Not particularly; certainly not yesterday. Both services were quite upbeat, as were all three sermons. Certainly prayers for those looking for work are a ubiquitous petitionary item, but I don't hear a lot of grief about it. Maybe our part of the country isn't grieving as much as yours? Boeing is hiring, Amazon is hiring, Google is looking to double their workforce here, and the County won't have to cut bus service for at least a couple of years... The stock market has not been stellar, but I don't see much of a drop in the value of my 401K.

BTW the high point of my day yesterday was a Lesbian redo of Eddie from Ohio's , which was the offertory music at Findlay Street Christian. The way it morphed from "Lord and King" to "Lord and Queen" was quite amazing, well done, and spiritually sound. (IMO, I know I'm not unanimously backed up on this sort of thing by you all.)

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:49 pm

You old liberal Haruo!!!!

My part of the country is being hit hard by the economy. Manufacturing facilities are moved south of the border and to China / drugs and crime are rampant / foreclosures are everywhere. Except for those towns with a large military income. se are pretty much staving and the crops have been destroyed with drought.

Too often I see a surface attempt to bring a cover over the grief, but reality is that we must find ways to help one another and deal with it here. I don't mean to dwell on it. I do mean to acknowledge the hurts and trust God more than a 401K.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

August 28 - September 4

Postby Haruo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am

The following week (August 28) I went to @ the Aurora Commons (). Nice group, very very dedicated to their neighborhood. They're located next door to Fremont Hall, the AA fellowship hall I sobered up at 27 years ago this month. They are Christian Reformed by denominational affiliation (), and in the course of looking at the CRC website, I ran across a reference to , which I ended up attending this evening (Sept 11). Sept. 4th I ended up after several false starts (including SCUM) not going anywhere.

Haruo
Site Admin

September 11

Postby Haruo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:50 am

On Friday, when I got on the bus to go to work, I sat down opposite a young man (thirties, I'd guess) in a somewhat robelike white garment. I asked him if it was religious garb, and if so, of what religion. He said, yes, it was Muslim. I told him about my 52-in-52 project, and asked if he could suggest a mosque for me to visit. He said that as a matter of fact he was on his way to the mosque right then. I asked him which one, and he told me the address. I hadn't been aware there was one there, it's quite a bit closer to home than the ones I'd been considering, so I'll probably go there one of these Fridays.

Today, to make up for not having gone to church last week, I wanted two services. I had been planning already to attend Ned Parker's ordination service at Seattle First Baptist, and I decided to stay in town for the evening and take in the service at .

Ned Parker is the Pastor for Children, Families, and Young Adults at SFBC. It was a very good service. The ordinand's old seminary buddy from Andover Newton, Joel Kemp, flew in from the east to preach. Here's the order of worship:
Parker_Ordination_cover.JPG

Parker_Ordination_inside.JPG

I should mention that one of the hymns, "May This Be What I Do", was new (originally written for the ordinand's 14th birthday by his father, and revised for use at his ordination). I think it is a very good hymn, and I look forward to including it in the songbook I'm working on for Evergreen's 10th birthday. The tune is ST. THOMAS (SM), probably best know as "I love thy kingdom, Lord".
Parker_Ordination_Prayer.JPG

SCUM's gathering was scheduled for 6 pm; I got there at 6:20, but the worship per se didn't start till 7. There were four or five songs, theoretically congregational but the words were not supplied, and most of the congregation didn't appear to know the words by heart any more than I did. (All except the last song, "I Love You, Lord" (... and I lift my voice ...), which I know well and so did most of the others in attendance.) The accompaniment was quiet, folk-style guitar with occasional clarinet interpolations. The preacher was rather distracted and lacking in focus. He allowed as how all the Tweets yesterday about the 9/11 anniversary distracted him from sermon preparation. Most of the talk ended up being a planning session for the church's 6th birthday party, with focus (such as it was) on how to invite the scum of the earth (1 Cor 4:13; Luke 14:13). Nice people, mostly quite young, and not too tightly wrapped. ;-) Not as many extravagant piercings as I had anticipated. I had a conversation before worship with a man, Doug, who turned out to be the clarinetist and a woman, Karen, who wanted to recruit me for a book study on Karen Armstrong's A History of God. We talked about AA, and about the Bible, and about Esperanto (since the Bible I was carrying was in that language). Nice people, hardly scum of the earth, no matter what the Apostle Paul said. (I notice NRSV uses "rubbish" and "dregs", not "scum". 1 Cor. 4:13)

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:56 pm

I forgot to mention that the guy in white on the bus turned out to be of Irish Catholic background, a convert to Islam (and I would guess to Sufism, at least he looked Sufi).

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:16 am

Two more in the bag ;-) The venue was Burien Community Church, an Evergreen-ABC congregation in a suburb south of Seattle, but

Yesterday I attended the Installation Service of Rev. Guadalupe Vasquez as Pastor of Confraternidad Cristiana Eben-ezer, the only Hispanophone church in the Evergreen Association region of ABC (as far as I know; there may be others). It was a joyous occasion, pretty much bilingual (translations were provided alternately by Rev. Vasquez himself, by Rev. Manny Santiago (Pastor of University Baptist Church), and by the the visiting minister, Rev. Manuel Yuquín, from Yakima and ABC-NW, who gave the sermon). The service opened with two praise songs sung to rather kitschy PowerPoint on the screen. The accompaniment and a singer were on tape, and both songs were sung almost ad nauseam bilingualem. The first was "Open the eyes of my heart, Lord", which I know well enough in English that I had no difficulty picking up the Spanish version and translating on the fly so that, by the end, I was singing largely in Esperanto. The second song was "No hay nadie como tú", and I wasn't as familiar with it, but it was no problem, either. Then there was a song (or medley, I'd say) all in Spanish, with a large orchestra/mariachi band on screen. This was fun, but the words were unknown to me, so it was a listening rather than a singing experience. It began with "Solamente Cristo" but I soon lost track of the text. The tune(s) involved mariachi adaptations of, I think, a number of old-time tunes hymnic or otherwise (I'm pretty sure I picked out "If you're happy and you know it" and "Macnamara's Band".) Then the new Pastor and his wife sang a duet. Then our Executive Minister, Marcia Patton, introduced all of us visitors and had us each say who we were and where from. She then gave greetings from the Region, words of encouragement and admonition to the congregation to support and augment their Pastor, etc. The Rev. Yuquín spoke, taking John 10:1-4 as his text. Then we all went downstairs for a scrumptious potluck of varied mostly Mexican and Central American dishes. I missed the Salvadorean fried eggplant, but it was a hit with those who tried it.

Then I went upstairs and attended the service of Family of Faith Lutheran Church (not more than a dozen in attendance); I was a bit late for the start but the Gospel text was Matthew 20:1-16, so it counts ;-) Nice job of "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms", with the second time through the refrain done well in a cappella harmony!

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:17 pm

Two more in the bag!

As described elsewhere, I went to Victoria Seventh Day Adventist Church on Saturday, taking the opportunity of being abroad on vacation since my regular work schedule precludes such most Saturdays. Good service; good singing; good preaching; as noted elsewhere, first time I've heard a sermon preached against crab legs and pepperoni pizza (taking Daniel 1, Deuteronomy 14, Genesis 39 and 1 Samuel 17 as texts). Lots of kids and teenagers in the congregation, and the sermon was largely directed at the latter. Basic theme: when sin (e.g. pepperoni) tempts, don't pray—run! (And then pray.) The people were friendly and welcoming, but not overly pushy about it. Very diverse ethnically, whites, blacks (many of them apparently Africans), Asians. More diverse than the Victoria population at large, I think. Most of the songs were sung from a screen projected text, only one ("I'd Rather Have Jesus") from the (1985 SDA) hymnal.

Walking back to the hotel, I passed quite a few other churches and saw that two were advertising Blessings of the Animals, one on Oct 2, one on Oct 9. Hoping I can find one to go to somewhere nearby, maybe even take Toby. (I'd really been hoping to take Pip, but she didn't live long enough.)

Sunday, after the final closing ceremonies at NOREK, I skipped the postconvention visit to the Provincial Museum in favor of attending morning worship at the James Bay United Church. In Canada UCC describes a denomination somewhat different in origins but rather similar in liturgical and cultural flavor to UCC in the US. They are generally open and affirming ("inviting" seems to be the term) and fairly liberal theologically, lots of listening to the trees and stuff. The opening hymn (a modernized adaptation of "God Is Here Among Us") I sang in Esperanto (vv 1-2) and English (v 3). They sang happy birthday in absentia to a 96-year-old parishioner, using a happy-birthday text and tune I've never heard, and it was specifically Christian (unlike the secular "Happy Birthday to You" we always inject into our sacred moments). A smaller, whiter crowd than the SDAs, and much older. There were only 2 kids and no teenagers, unlike the dozens at the SDA service, and in my late 50s I felt like I was on the young side of the median in the room. They had a new pastor and music minister (both less than a month into their tenure, and both younger than the room average). I had a pleasant time, and enjoyed the singing, including "Hush! Somebody's callin' my name" and "Lord, you have come to the lakeshore". The pew hymnals () were words only; after the service I discovered I could have had a copy with music if I'd asked or known where to get one beforehand.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:10 pm

This noontide it was St. John the Baptist Episcopal Church in West Seattle, for their annual St. Francis Sunday Blessing of the Animals, actually held in the parking lot of West Seattle High School, next door to the church. I only took photographs of Pip and the three survivors. There was one live cat and several dozen live dogs, but no other photo pets and no exotics. I asked the priests to give a blessing also to the crows who blinded Pip. The liturgy consisted of walking "the Westminster Walk" once around the parking lot, then heading single file down the middle of the lot to the priests (one in TEC garb with a rainbow stole, the other in a Franciscan-looking brown cassock), who dipped cedar branches in the holy water and aspergated the animals (or their photos) therewith. No full immersions. I sang "All creatures of our God and King" under my breath, and the "no more cold iron shackles" verse of "I'll Fly Away", because I felt the service needed some hymnody to qualify it for the 52-week adventure. Each living pet got a balloon (Toby is thrilled with his) and I came away with four nice St. Francis medallions for their collars (not that they wear collars) that say "PRAY FOR US" on the reverse. I got in some cathartic sobbing while telling people about Pip.

Haruo
Site Admin

Sephardic Bikur Holim

Postby Haruo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:02 am

Saturday morning I'm planning on getting up super-early and going to , one of Seattle's grand old synagogues, for the morning service. Browse their website, it's quite something. I sent them email letting them know of my interest in attending,
Rabbi_Benzaquen_bio.jpg
Rabbi Simon Benzaquen
Rabbi_Benzaquen_bio.jpg (14.45 KiB) Viewed 6054 times
and this afternoon the rabbi called me at work "to hear the voice of this person who wants to visit us" or words to that effect. We had a good talk. He caviled at my use of "אפר" as a translation of "Leland". He said "it means dust", which is true, but I'll have to show him this from Google Translate:
afar-meadow.JPG
("Leland" is a Scottish term for a protected meadow, i.e. land lying in the lee of the hill)

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:01 am

Very interesting service at Sephardic Bikur Holim last Saturday. Some of it was in Ladino (including part of one of the songs), most of it in Hebrew, some (including the homily) in English. The lectionary had us read from Noah through Babel. Quite a few Psalms were recited, chanted, or sung, as well as other Bible passages. The service lasted over two and a half hours. It was a bit longer than usual because it was the Sabbath of a new month as well as the week; also, a girl had her bat mitzvah and there were lots of visiting relatives from all over the country, maybe the world, for that. It was interesting that there were girls in the sanctuary, generally sitting with their fathers, but none over 12; the teen and adult women were up in the balcony. Anyhow, I hope to make it back sometime.

This Sunday a new church (actually not new new, but new to our neighborhood), , will be holding their inaugural service in their new worship space (a former Pizza Hut that was more recently—and still is, to trust the signage—"Payday Loans / Checks Cashed") at 2:30 pm, about 3 blocks from our home. I think we'll go.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:54 pm

I was about 5 minutes late for the service, and 2 hours and 55 minutes later, when I left, it was still going strong; I missed out on Communion as a result, but I needed to get home.

Nice people, enjoyable (and decibel-wise tolerable) music, with recordings for accompaniment. But not a lot of music (considering it was 3+ hours); a very text-oriented service, with lots of Bible-reading ("Now join me in Matthew 18, Matthew 18 and 16, everybody say Amen when you're there." and he would wait for everybody to find the verse before reading it aloud.)

Doubt it'll ever be "my" church, but it's a valid local representation of Christ's church, and that's the important thing. I'll go back sometime, at least for part of a service, and hopefully Mrs H will accompany me.

Next Sunday I have to go to Fremont (to do special music as a part of the buildup to Evergreen Hymn-Sing #5 on the 20th), so it would behoove me to find some other service to attend this week in addition.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:11 pm

I was looking for a photo of Pip and Toby, our twin black kitties (Pip died in 2011, I think) and in searching for that I found this old thread, which I realized I had never given closure. Anyhow, within a week or two after my final post above, I lost my job of more than a decade, and suddenly other matters loomed larger than diversity in worship venues.

I ended the year with 48 out of 52 slots filled. Maybe some year in the future (not 2016!) I'll try it again. It looks likely that at some point in the coming year we may come into the possession of an automobile, and cars are helpful in this sort of thing.

So that's that. Now back to the search for the picture of Pip and her halo.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:30 pm

Well, I found a PDF with the photo in question in it and was able to do a screenshot...Image

Haruo
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum