[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Chick-fil-A Gets in Confrontations with Gay Rights

Chick-fil-A Gets in Confrontations with Gay Rights

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Chick-fil-A Gets in Confrontations with Gay Rights

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:25 am

Last edited by Gene Scarborough on Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Re: Chick-fil-A Gets in Confrontations with Gay Rights

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:37 am

This is most interesting to me. It seems one of our "Baptist Saints," Truett Cathey's famous company, founded with good Baptist roots and highly successful, is now the focus of complaints by the Gay Rights Movement. The sons who are the co-CEO's now are trying to be kind and find a middle ground with the movement cannot do so without drawing the wrath of Baptists and other conservative groups.

It is a privately owned Corporation with the right of the funding family heirs to autonomously decide what to do with their business policies.

Cathey's Foundation is a large contributor to Baptist causes, especially in Georgia. My father knew him and was Interim Pastor at his church near the Atlanta Airport. His first place of business is within eyesight of the Airport in Hapeville. His church is FBC Hapeville and it has received large bequsts and solid support from the Cathey family.

So----what happens when a Baptist-related large donor business runs "afowl" of the Baptist ethos???? Will they get kicked out as are churches like Broadway and several others in NC which are no longer allowed to contribute per the new NC Financial Policy???
Last edited by Gene Scarborough on Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Re: Chick Filet Gets in Confrontations with Gay Rights

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:39 am

Ed: I may start eating Chicken more than one a year! They have some cute commercials.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:53 am

This event was on last night's news and again a lead story on Good Morning America. It is appearing to blossom quickly in the media.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:34 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:15 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:05 pm

Ed--

My brother---the article I cited at the beginning is NY Times, man, NY Times!!!!!

That oughtta make a good New Yorker happy!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

CBF and Log Cabin Republicans

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:29 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:39 am

S. Fox writes; First, Gene or Baptistlife Monitors ought to move this discussion to Public Policy or some other Forum. I don't see where it has anything to do with CBF.

Ed: Steve I agree totally. And BTW the rest of that post is good also. Tis interesting to see the differences in the two Gay friendly groups.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:16 am

I have no qualms about a move to another forum location. Being new to this board, I had no idea where was the most appropriate location.

For sure, CBF is more receptive to ministry without judgementalism so that was my thinking. For the Chick-fil-A folks it is a dilemma over "just doing business" without prejudice / for the Gay Rights folks it is an opportunity for free public notice since the restaurant chain is so well known.

A good friend of mine who is joyfully very conservative spent most of yesterday castigating me for just being neutral on judgementalism and preferring to leave such to God. Remember, Jesus said NOTHING about homosexuals when it certainly was an issue in his day---only homosexuals were hiding out from the Pharisees then. We have had them always, so what are we going to do with them as followers of Christ? Marv Knox of the Baptist Standard did the only addressing of the issue I know among Baptist State papers. It drew strident responses last summer.

Is this just another version of that crazy group of ultra-right protestors by the super-fundamentalist churches of Florida and the mid-west???? :? I miss the days when "a screw was just a screw and gay meant 'happy.'" :lol:
Last edited by Gene Scarborough on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:25 am

Here's a quick look at the first page of my search of this story this morning:

Chick-fil-A Partners With Rabid Anti-Gay Group | Gay Rights ...

You might like the tasty pickles that they put on their chicken sandwiches, but if you're eating at Chick-fil-A, you're also eating at an establishment that ...
gayrights.change.org/blog/view/chick-fil-a_partners_wit... gayrights.change.org/blog/view/chick-fil-a_partners_with_rabid_anti-gay_group

Yes, Chick-fil-A Says, We Explicitly Do Not Like Same-Sex Couples ...

Jan 26, 2011 ... 4 days ago ∙ GAY RIGHTS. Chick-fil-A Booted from Indiana ...
news.change.org/stories/yes-chick-fil-a-says-we-explici... news.change.org/stories/yes-chick-fil-a-says-we-explicitly-do-not-like-same-sex-couples

Controversial Chicken: Chick-fil-A's Gay Rights Rumble - TIME NewsFeed

Jan 29, 2011 ... (More on TIME.com: See a photo history of the gay-rights movement.) Chick-fil-A has long-been transparent about its Christian values. ...
newsfeed.time.com/2011/01/31/controversial-chicken-chic... newsfeed.time.com/2011/01/31/controversial-chicken-chick-fil-a-gay-rights-rumble/

Gay College Students Vs. Chick-fil-A | Change.org News

Jan 27, 2011 ... 5 days ago ∙ GAY RIGHTS. Chick-fil-A Responds, But ...
news.change.org/stories/gay-college-students-vs-chick-f... news.change.org/stories/gay-college-students-vs-chick-fil-a

Chick-fil-A counters criticism from gay rights groups: "We're not ...

Jan 31, 2011 ... The president of Chick-fil-A insists the company is not anti-gay, defending the restaurant chain against withering criticism from gay rights ...
http://www.ajc.com/business/chick-fil-a ... 21566.html

Chick-fil-A Partners With Rabid Anti-Gay Group | Change.org News

Jan 4, 2011 ... 4 days ago ∙ GAY RIGHTS. Chick-fil-A Booted from Indiana ...
news.change.org/stories/chick-fil-a-partners-with-rabid... news.change.org/stories/chick-fil-a-partners-with-rabid-anti-gay-group

Popular chicken chain under fire for anti-gay marriage donations ...

Jan 31, 2011 ... I shop Target, BestBuy, and will be getting lunch at Chick-Fil-A. Quit trying to get everyone on the Gay Rights Parade. ...
news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110131/us_yblog_the... news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110131/us_yblog_thelookout/popular-chicken-chain-under-fire-for-anti-gay-marriage-donations

Is Chick-fil-A restaurant against gay rights? Anti-gay site claims ...

After a gay blog, GoodAsYou, posted a screen capture from the site yesterday, the sponsorship from the restaurant chain Chick-fil-A quickly ...
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2651665/posts

Chick-Fil-A Sponsors Anti-Gay Group | PerezHilton.com

Jan 4, 2011 ... It has just been revealed that the restaurant Chick-Fil-A is sponsoring two ... and has condemned the expansion of civil rights for same-sex couples. ... Tags: anti gay, chick fil a, gay marriage, michael geer, sponspors ...
perezhilton.com/2011-01-04-chick-fil-a-restaurant-spons... perezhilton.com/2011-01-04-chick-fil-a-restaurant-sponsors-anti-gay-group

Is Chick-fil-A restaurant against gay rights? Anti-gay site claims ...

Is Chick-fil-A restaurant against gay rights? Anti-gay site claims affiliation with fast-food eatery. Posted by duy on January 4, 2011 5:38 PM | Permalink ...
http://www.metroweekly.com/news/last_wo ... hick-fil... http://www.metroweekly.com/news/last_wo ... -chai.html
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:08 am

We had a seminar on Islam once and Subway gave us a special deal on lunch. Does that make them pro or anti Muslim?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:52 pm

If you got Subway to make sure the lunch was all halal, it sure does.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jerry_B » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:53 pm

This is so ridiculous it really shows more about the leanings of the NY Times author then the well known leanings of Chick-fil-a. They are a private company and support or not support whatever they want. I resent the continual attempts of "gay rights" groups to make something out of nothing stories and happenings. BTW Next time I am in town I am buying lunch at Chick-fil-a
Jerry_B

Postby Haruo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:59 pm

PS I am thinking about moving this topic, as I agree with Steve and Ed that it's not germane to CBF missions and ministry. But I'm not sure if it belongs most to Baptist Faith & Practice or to Politics and Public Policy Issues. I lean towards the former because the Baptist connection is definitely part of its focus. Input welcome.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:51 pm

I am too new to know the basic nature of either category and trust your judgement totally.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:30 am

BF&P would be my choice.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:16 pm

Done.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:35 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:04 pm

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby HowellS » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:33 pm

My first reaction to the NY Times' article was, "O, brother!" As I continued reading, and especially Aaron's posting of the lesbian minister's comments, I have changed my initial thoughts. If I would have seen this article before I left for the Baptist Convention of New Mexico' annual Evangelism Conference this week in Albuquerque, I would have made a point of eating at least one meal at the local Chick-fil-A restaurant just around the corner from our hotel. Since our Student Pastor was with me, we would have doubled up.

This is utterly ridiculous. If the radical homosexual rights groups want to boycott Chick-fil-A, that is certainly their right. But, Christians and non-believers who have not bought into this radical agenda will continue to eat at Chick-fil-A. I do think that Dan Cathey is being a bit disingenuous when he says that just because they cater an event they do not somehow endorse it. As Aaron points out, you don't see any local franchises supplying chicken sandwiches to gay rights groups. The Albuquerque Chick-fil-A donated food for last year's Young Lives Ablaze Children's event sponsored by the BCNM. I'm sure that they must have agreed with what our organization was trying to accomplish. They should be proud of their sponsorship (and same with the PA franchise) and not let the gay rights' bullies (see Seinfeld) intimidate them. That being said, if you don't like a corporation or business' policy, then don't patronize them and or don't eat at the restaurant. Thanks and God bless,
HowellS

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:10 am

Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:19 am

Last time I was there years ago we parked our camper in the Staton Island Ferry parking lot!!! You haven't lived until you drive a motorhome around NYC!

I was in Loris, SC, at the time and our children wanted to climb up the Statue of LIberty as their main interest. When we awoke Sunday morning, a bum sitting on the bench greeted me as I took the dog out. When he asked where we were from, I found out he was from just up the road at Mullins, SC! His comment I shall never forget: "I ain't gonna crop no mo' tobacco!"

I was thinking: "Your family and cousins at least have a roof over their heads in SC, and here you are thinking you have arrived in NYC sleeping on a Staton Island park bench! I think you would be a whole lot better off back in SC!"

Ah well, to each his own.
Last edited by Gene Scarborough on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:17 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:26 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Next

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum