[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Just for fun, one mo' time . . .

Just for fun, one mo' time . . .

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: Just for fun, one mo' time . . .

Postby Hal Eaton » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:27 am

The latest howler from Fox News -- I think it was a pre-recorded plug for the program. The voice said, "Why waste your time anywhere else?"
It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. -- Thomas Paine
Hal Eaton

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:30 am

:thumb: :thumb:
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:07 pm

Our house isn't tempted to waste our time on FOX- we pay no cable or satellite. I built one ugly but functional HDTV antenna out of bent coat hangers screwed into a scrap of plywood from directions I found on line. It's part of what I call my "Mother Joad Entertainment Center"-- we pick up the big three networks just fine, plus PBS- thats all the TV I need. When I had access to cable, I spent so much time watching old movies I didn't get any housework done. Now I need a different excuse :roll:
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:43 am

:lol: What a woman who can build things needed!!! :wink:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:48 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:55 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:10 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:22 am

Ed--

You are in a most caustic mood toward me these days and I would appreciate an apology for such.

I happen to be married to a carpenter's daughter who can do the same when men think women just have to wait on them for such. If you were to encounter her with your attitude, she might just punch you out for treating her husband with such disrespect! For sure---she would give you "the look" from green eyes which can cut glass like a laser the tell you things you don't want to hear! :wink:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Hal Eaton » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:36 am

Y'all have strayed from the aim of this thread, but you have reminded me of a quote from Phillip Wylie's book, "Generation of Vipers," circa 1942.

I no longer have the book, but I can mis-quote the passage close to the original. Wylie wrote, under his attack on American "Momism," that in a thousand Moms there is not enough sex appeal to budge a hermit ten paces off a rock ledge; that she plays bridge with the stupid voracity of a hammerhead shark; and that her very urine would etch glass.

I don't endorse Wylie's philosophy, but I admire his use of the pen. For a more complete look at his writing, Google Philip Wylie's "Common Women."
Hal Eaton

Postby Hal Eaton » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:43 am

Back to the thread - - - Just this morning, one of the reporter/commentator/analyst ladies was interviewing a billionaire. He wanted to refer to the crass principle of "bait and switch," and stopped a spoonerism in mid-talk with ". . . bitch and---bait and switch . . ."
Hal Eaton

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:53 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:37 am

Back in the day when I was out working in the shop on a rainy Saturday with Daddy, I was griping that girls had to take a year of Home Ec to graduate high school, and boys had a choice of several "trade" courses to take- mechanical drawing, wood shop, metal shop etc. Dad said he felt boys should take home ec too, and girls a year of shop also. "I'd hate to come home from a hard day at work to a woman who can't change her own light bulbs." My older brother was president of the Radio club at LWHS, and had his radio station in one corner of our basement. I had his old microscope and chemistry set in my corner. I grew up on a small farm where if we didn't do it it didn't get done. Hire someone to re -roof the house? Unheard of! I grew up around so many tools I never knew that a drill press was "Men's work". Mom bucked rivets in the tail of B-17's at the Seattle Boeing plant during WWII. She was the tiniest on the crew. She also sewed school clothes for me and taught me to bake a cake and not burn tomato soup.
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Joseph Patrick » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:01 pm

From Joseph Patrick...

Mrs. Haruo, I can understanf some of youe childhood frustrations at educational requirements for graduation...In order to graduate I needed to take both machine shop or auto mechanics. While overseas I used what little I learned in auto mechanics, but can safely say that I have yet to use one thing from machine shop.

But my bigger problem is that I still keyboard in my two jobs, but typing was for girls when I was in school. I still wish that I had taken a typing course...
When Bill Clinton lied, no one died...
Joseph Patrick

Postby Mrs Haruo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:17 pm

All the literature classes I took didn't help when the toilet overflowed- but they did give me a better command of the English language so I knew words with more than four letters in them to use while I was mopping up the mess and snaking out the clog. :lol:
Mrs Haruo

Postby Hal Eaton » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:52 pm

Mrs. Haruo -- Your mention of your mother being the smallest crew member amongst the "Rosie the Riveters" in Seattle's Boeing plant bounced on my memory glands. I remember that Boeing made the news when they called on "little people" to work on the B-17s, since they could get into the tight tail-sections to buck the riveters from the inside . . .
Hal Eaton

Postby Hal Eaton » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:13 am

It has been a while since I NEEDED to post here, but I can't contain my giggles over these:

Words on a local Methodist church sign: "Hell is Uncool"

Today's closed-caption joke: In referring to the leak of "secrets" from the Pope's HQ, the captionist referred to the Vatican as the "value can."
Hal Eaton

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:44 pm

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Hal Eaton » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:54 pm

Latest sign on the local Methodist church lawn: "We're not Dairy Queen, but we make great Sundays"

And in the Big Baptist Church 30 miles down the hi-wAy, the Sunday Sermon will be "Whatever You're Doing, Keep On" . . . Huh?
Hal Eaton

Postby Hal Eaton » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:39 pm

Here's the latest church sign (Methodist church) 8 miles down the road . . .

FIRST KING-SIZED BED

A MANGER
Hal Eaton

Postby Haruo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:48 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Hal Eaton » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:46 am

Today's Closed Caption boo-boo: I think I was on Fox news; a senator was hoping that the future Congressional bizness could be conducted with "comity."

The closed captionist made it read "comedy."

If the truth were known . . .
Hal Eaton

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:56 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Hal Eaton » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:09 am

Latest closed-caption boo-boo: (Fox News) When reporting on income tax "loop holes," the captionist made it read "loop hopes."
Hal Eaton

Postby Hal Eaton » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:55 am

The latest from the reporters, commentators, and critics on Fox News: One of the participants used the term "damnation." The captionist made it read "**** nation."
Hal Eaton

Postby Hal Eaton » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:59 am

And somebody/something/whoever converted my quoted word to a series of asterisks . . .

And Archie Bunker sez, "Whoop-te-do!"
Hal Eaton

PreviousNext

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum