[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - What are you Reading?!?!?!

What are you Reading?!?!?!

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: What are you Reading?!?!?!

Postby Timsings » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:11 pm

I've just finished Imperfect Harmony: Finding Happiness Singing with Others by Stacy Horn. It was very interesting because it was about the author's experiences singing in an amateur choir in New York City. Since I sing in a similar choir in Nashville, many of the things she talks about resonated with me. Most of the chapters are centered around pieces that the choir has performed. I was familiar with many of the pieces, and I want to learn about some of the others she mentions.

Tim Reynolds
Nashville, Tennessee
"So it is with every craftsman. . . . They maintain the fabric of this world, and the practice of their craft is their prayer." (Sirach 38.27, 34)

"I'm living with war everyday." (Neil Young) 12 years later, and still true.
Timsings

Postby KeithE » Sat May 03, 2014 9:12 pm

Just finished Adam Hamilton’s

Lives up to its billing. Realistic view! And I could not agree more with each assessment of difficult biblical areas (like the direction to slaughter the Canaanites is a “reflection of ... the human authors writers, not of the God they sought to serve"). As far as he is concerned, the canon should be open to Spirit-led writings today. I’ll print a more complete review on Amazon - it will be a 5 star review.

Adam Hamilton is the pastor of the largest UMC church in America (over 18,000 members).
------------6/30/15------------
Here is that
Last edited by KeithE on Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Shawn Koester » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:01 am

1. The book you just finished- Seven Things They Don't Teach You in Seminary by John Killinger

2. What you are currently on- Becoming the Answer to our Prayers: Prayer for Ordinary Radicals by Shane Claiborne

3. What you are planning to read next- Where is God When it Hurts? by Philip Yancey
Shawn Koester

Postby KeithE » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:45 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:09 am

Best religious book recently read - by Derek Flood - reorients theology and ethics to Christ’s teaching.

Best political book recently read - - a good scorecard for Presidential candidate assessment

What I’m reading now:

by Stephan Bauman - Inspirational

by Stephanie Coontz - Sets the record straight.

by Tim Weiner - also sets the record straight with recent declassified info (while in office Nixon was a drunken, depressed, criminal man and to think that my mother worshiped him)
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby RyanHale » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:27 pm

Just finished: "God Sent Me" by Jeffrey Selman, about the evolution sticker case in Cobb County, GA. He's a close friend of mine and it was a good read.

Work on now: The last several issues from the Baptist Historical Society. Frankly, I'm a bit behind on those so I need to catch up.

Next on the list: Haven't thought that far ahead yet.
RyanHale

Postby Haruo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:43 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Shawn Koester » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:20 am

Recently completed
The Social Sex: A History of Female Friendship by Marilyn Yalom and Theresa Donovan Brown
Rooted in Jesus Christ: Toward a Radical Ecclesiology by Daniel Izuzquiza
What would Jesus Deconstruct? by John Caputo
Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger by Ron Sider
Ministry and the Baby Boomers by James Bell
Tim Keller's Prodigal God
The Age of the Spirit by Phyllis Tickle
Phyllis Tickle's Divine Hours
Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman
Accidental Saints by Nadia Bolz Weber
A Testament to Freedom by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Emerging Churches by Gibbs and Bolger
Patterns of Preaching by Ronald Allen
Interpreting the Gospel by Ronald Allen
Shawn Koester

Karet Seven Good Years

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:16 pm

Looking forward to that and the Meacham bio of Bush 41

In last few years have read Marsh bio of Bonhoeffer, and Wuthnow's Rough Country. Also taking a look at Ben Bernanke's Courage to Act as I was in Beta Club in SC with Bernanke's extended family and we share Furman with his HS English teacher mentor.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby John Sneed » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:28 pm

Just Finished: Life in Civil War America, author's name I will remember when I don't want to know it anymore.

Reading: From Manassas to Appomattox, James Longstreet

Up Coming: The Art of War, Sun Tzu
John Sneed

Postby KeithE » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:13 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Timsings » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:16 pm

Recently finished Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth by Reza Aslan. I was wondering whether anyone else has read this. What did you think of it?

Currently reading: Thinking About Things and Other Frivolities: A Life by Edward Farley, former professor of Theology at Vanderbilt Divinity School. He died last year.
The Work of Theology by Stanley Hauerwas.

Reading for Lent: The Cross and the Lynching Tree by James H. Cone.

In the bullpen in no particular order: Our Only World: Ten Essays by Wendell Berry.
The Terror of God: Attar, Job, and the Metaphysical Revolt by Navid Kermani.

Tim Reynolds
Nashville, Tennessee
"So it is with every craftsman. . . . They maintain the fabric of this world, and the practice of their craft is their prayer." (Sirach 38.27, 34)

"I'm living with war everyday." (Neil Young) 12 years later, and still true.
Timsings

Postby Shawn Koester » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:35 pm

Recently Completed:
The Social Sex: A History of Female Friendship by Marilyn Yalom and Theresa Donovan Brown
Rooted in Jesus Christ: Toward a Radical Ecclesiology by Daniel Izuzquiza
What would Jesus Deconstruct? by John Caputo
Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger by Ron Sider
Ministry and the Baby Boomers by James Bell
Tim Keller's Prodigal God
The Age of the Spirit by Phyllis Tickle
Phyllis Tickle's Divine Hours
Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman
Accidental Saints by Nadia Bolz Weber
A Testament to Freedom by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Emerging Churches by Gibbs and Bolger
Patterns of Preaching by Ronald Allen
Interpreting the Gospel by Ronald Allen
Luis Rodriquez's Always Running: La Vida Loca: Gang Days in LA
The Education of Kevin Powell
Chang Rae Lee's Native Speaker
Leela Ghandi's Postcolonial Theory
Annamarie Jagose's Queer Theory: An Introduction
Richard Delgado and Jean Stefancic's Critical Race Theory
George Hunter III's The Apostolic Congregation: Church Growth Reconceived for a New Generation
Scott Jone's The Evangelistic Love of God and Neighbor: A Theology of Witness and Discipleship
The Study of Evangelism: Exploring a Missional Practice of the Church by Paul Chilcote and Warner Laceye
The Leadership Challenge by Kouze/Posner
Church Leadership by Lovett Weems
Church Leadership by Bacher-Cooper White
Dwight J. Zscheile's The Agile Church
Baptists in America by Bill Leonard (for Baptist History/Polity)
Accompany Them with Singing: The Christian Funeral by Thomas Long
The Choice: Living Your Passion Inside Out by Frank Thomas
Christianity and World Religions: Wrestling with Questions People Ask by Adam Hamilton
Revival: Faith as Wesley Lived It by Adam Hamilton
Whole: A Call to Unity in Our Fragmented World by the Rev. Dr. Sharon Watkins
Room at the Table: Struggle for Unity and Equality in Disciples History by Sandhya Ja (For Disciples History/Polity)
Pre-Post-Racial America: Spiritual Stories from the Front Lines by Sandhya Ja
The Faith We Affirm: Basic Beliefs of Disciples of Christ by Ronald E Osburn (For Disciples History/Polity)
Renewing Christian Unity: A Concise History of the Christian Church by Gary Halloway and Douglas Foster (for Disciples/History Polity)
Emotional Intelligence 2.0

To read:
The Promise by Chiam Potok
The Trouble I've Seen: The Big Book of Negro Spirituals
Prayers for a privileged people by Walter Brueggemann
Shawn Koester

Postby KeithE » Sun May 01, 2016 3:29 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Shawn Koester » Mon May 02, 2016 12:19 pm

Shawn Koester

Postby Haruo » Mon May 02, 2016 10:08 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon May 02, 2016 10:39 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Shawn Koester » Tue May 03, 2016 12:59 pm

Shawn Koester

Postby KeithE » Tue May 03, 2016 4:30 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Fri May 06, 2016 12:10 am

I never cared much for retired New York Yankee Aaron Boone. If I remember correctly, he hit a home run a few years ago that knocked (my favorite) Boston out of the playoffs. I was watching Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN, April 24. Politically-correct ESPN has put a woman in the broadcast booth, as a third voice. I dont know her name, but she is a famous softball player. Somehow, she and Aaron got into a discussion about books. That Sunday night, the conversation went ----- Woman: "What book have you read lately?"...Aaron Boone (without hesitation): "Well, today, I was in the Word"! ! ! Prime time. National television. And he made that statement. I dont think he was trying to "push" his religion on anyone. She gave him an unexpected straight line, and he seized it. I like Aaron, now.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed May 11, 2016 1:17 am

Ed: I haven't been reading a lot of Churchy stuff lately working on my own, researching a platform for a new at least to us a new field of ministry in the world "Tin Can" recreating and living. For whenever Trudy settles on a date to retire. Of late I Have spent a lot of time in the [b]1560 page/ 50th anniversary edition of RV Travel & Savings Guide and a mountain of RV brochures. Sat through 18 hours of lectures on what folk considering full time RVing "Need to know: didn't hear any thing about Religion. Nor have 98% of the many, many websites that I have visited regarding the "life style" had a lot to say about it. BUT I have noted that MANY of the commercial RV parks do have full time or rotating Chaplin's who are ordained ministers. And on one site devoted to "Work Camping" their are parks looking for chaplains to serve their facility for the season that is upon us. No pay but free parking, water, elect (to a limit) & sewer. Lots of free time to explore the surrounding areas. And getting used to our future home

When the Dealer called to day with a financing offer, Trudy told him to submit our info to his lender. We would like to do some mid week exploring of up state NY. before we move from here. I have found place to park it till we are ready to hit the road we came during a winter I don't want to make that kind of move again. When she is really ready, she needs to give the Church a 90 day notice. I hope to be in No Gorgia on Tuesday to examine one unit that we are enthused about, maybe some others. And then to pick up Trudy in Atlanta on Friday to see my top three. an maybe pick it on our way back from South Georgia and our granddaughters graduation on Saturday or early the following week. If not we will have to wait and pick it up next month when we are with in a coupe hundred miles at Greenbsboro for the CBF assembly. We could use the what we save on a hotel for the first payment. :)

Eventually want to find a base camp in one of the states I mentioned in another thread the other day. But Proximity to Missouri is not as important now, as our Daughter called Mother's day to say she and her Husband are moving to the Dominican Republic, in October.

Oh yea, has any body got a small vehicle that can be towed 4 down, that they might like to swap for a great 2013 Subaru. The only fly I have found in the ointment while planing this potential transition is the CVT transmission in the Subie can't be flat towed, not even Remco makes a adaption for it . And Yea, I an old man but I love driving, my cataract surgeries went well and I have driven some large School buses and well loaded moving vans, in the recent past. I have been in every state east of the big river and several west of it. One of my mothers sisters is still alive and lives in California, she helped raise me when I lived with my grand parents during WW II. Looking forward to covering the rest of the lower 48. May do Alaska by boat when I get real old. :wink:
Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Wed May 11, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Wed May 11, 2016 9:56 am

Be good to see you again, and meet Trudy, if you make it as far as Seattle.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed May 11, 2016 10:58 am

After a discussion on another thread, I picked up Phillip Gulley's Living the Quaker Way. I started it once before and got distracted, so I had a quick round trip flight Sunday and Monday and finished it. He interprets the Quaker values of simplicity, community, peace, integrity, and equality in both a historical and modern context, pointing to the Biblical themes on which the Quakers developed them. Although these are identified as Quaker values, and interpreted according to Quaker beliefs and practices, they are easily applicable to the Christian life.

I never really thought much about the Quakers. I've met a few who were very committed, and whose lifestyle reflected their perspective in these areas. A few years back, while living in Houston, I encountered a young Quaker man who was a math whiz. I needed a junior high math teacher who had expertise in Algebra, and he fit the bill. My head administrator at the time would not hire him because, even though he had a testimony of faith in Christ, which was a requirement to teach there, he was not a member of a local church, because there were no Quaker meetings in the area and, like many Quakers from the "unprogrammed" style meetings, he set aside an hour each week for silent worship. Yeah, it wasn't right. Here, there are several families who have kids in our school and frankly, they impress me with the sincerity and openness of their faith.
Sandy

Johnny Appleseed and Benedict Arnold

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed May 11, 2016 3:04 pm

Just this morning I heard fascinating conversation on www.drshow.org and Benedict Arnold and his temptress Peggy Schippin. Got my attention.

I just finished At the Edge of the Orchard, fictional world of Johnny Appleseed whose Real last name was Chapman. Good segment there on what a Cane Ridge Revival and beyond the Tent experiences of those times coulda been with certain apple cider.

And zeroing in on Randall Woods new Treatment of LBJ and his evolution of a social conscience. Got a local Juco on the hunt and hope they have it for me soon.

Randall Lolley's collection of sermons is on my radar and in memory of my Dad's love for the Boston Red Sox had fun with Mulder's new novel about Bucky Dent, the one with the expletive in the title. David Duchovny.

Stephen Fox

And Haruo

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed May 11, 2016 3:11 pm

I clicked on Zion's Light and read all the words. I hope our paths cross in God's Serendipity and maybe we can co lead this number at a Sacred Harp event. I've made a note on my facebook wall as an aspiration.

Stephen Fox

PreviousNext

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum