[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - What are you Reading?!?!?!

What are you Reading?!?!?!

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Laura Bush: Not exactly following the Script exactly

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:15 pm

Here;

but I found this review of Laura Bush fascinating, especially the concluding paragraphs.

It's as if Cormac McCarthy were just starting out, Laura Bush could be a character in one of his bleak Texas Novels, with a hint of hope at the end where she is given the Oxygen to Breathe, to just be....

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/29/books ... anted=2&hp
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: What are you Reading?!?!?!

Postby Howard V » Thu May 20, 2010 6:56 pm

This thread has been real still for a while. Thought I'd see if anything else was going on reading wise.

Currently I'm reading "The Book of Job" in every translation I can get my hands on. Our Sunday School Class is studying Job.

I'm about to finish re-reading "The Odyssey" by Homer as translated by W. H. D. Rouse [1937]. The Odyssey if still a great read and adventure.

Also I'm enjoying "The Essential Chesterton, An Anthology of the Thought of G. K. Chesterton." I'm about a hundred sixty pages into this one.

None of these are new but if you've missed them or haven't read them in a while they are still worth while.

Howard
Howard V

Postby Chris » Thu May 20, 2010 7:06 pm

The Sporting News.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby KeithE » Thu May 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu May 20, 2010 10:17 pm

If the Church were Christian, by Phillip Gulley. Quaker minister, good stuff.

Got Brian McLaren's latest at the conference I went to in DC a couple of weeks ago where he was keynote speaker. I'll start on it when I finish this one.
Sandy

Postby David Flick » Fri May 21, 2010 6:50 am

Last week, my son, Philip, for the 4th time (this time with a M.A. Music). In August, he will begin studying for a D.M.A. at the University of Miami (FL). Effie and I took him out to a nice restaurant afterward. To our surprise, he gave each of us a book. The book I received was: edited by Paul Anderson. It's an anthology of essays and personal testimonies by 22 Christian university professors. I'm reading the essays one at a time prior to going to going bed. I work nights and sleep days so I'm reading it early in the mornings. It's an easy read and I'm enjoying it very much...
. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri May 21, 2010 7:21 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Gary » Fri May 21, 2010 9:47 am

Took a loaned copy of "Who Killed Classical Music?: Maestros, Managers, and Corporate Politics" with me on the Vortex2 trip over the last couple of weeks. What little spare time I had in the evenings (got in way too late way too often), I was reading through it. On my computer, I was reading (again) when we were parked 'waiting for something to happen' "Decline of the Roman Empire" on my Kindle for Mac app.

I expect (and am looking forward to) the next John Feinstein book from my oldest daughter for Father's Day!

Gary
Gary

Postby Haruo » Fri May 21, 2010 2:32 pm

Attachments
davidkhayyam.JPG
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Gary » Fri May 21, 2010 2:56 pm

Gary

Debra Granik and Winter's Bone

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri May 21, 2010 3:19 pm

I'm reading a lot about her and the flick online and in Film mags.
Haruo and Gary, I think you'll become big fans once you get initiated.

Stephen Fox

Postby Haruo » Fri May 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Gary » Sun May 23, 2010 10:33 pm

Gary

Strobe Talbot

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:48 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/se ... mccullouch

Have any of you tackled this book?

President Clinton's Oxford Roommate Strobe Talbot is a fan.

Stephen Fox

Diarmand MacCulloch

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:20 pm

Jon Meacham has great review in NY Times

Stephen Fox

Durso's Truett

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:28 pm

BDW reviewed it last fall for Baps Today and I got my hands on a copy now.
May share some tidbit thoughts as I go along.

Stephen Fox

Interesting review

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:42 pm

http://www.christiancentury.org/article.lasso?id=8730

Of what looks to be very worthwhile book.

Along with Andrew Murphy's Prodigal Nation hope it makes your consideration.

Stephen Fox

Postby Tim Dahl » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:49 pm

I'm currently reading . So far, I'm really enjoying it.
Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:38 pm

I've been reading "When Christians Git It Wrong" by Adam Hamilton. It is a good short little book that started as a sermon series.
Tim Bonney

LBJ and Coke Stevenson

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:00 am

Charles Peters is hilarious in his www.booktv.org presentation about his new book. Says Caro made ridiculous work when he held Up the "Reactionary" Coke Stevenson (See Pressler's roots with the Texas Regulars) as the barometer by which to Judge LBJ; but conceded Caro's Means of Ascent is a Masterpiece.
See if you can turn up the video online if you were ever intrigued by LBJ.
Here is the WP Review.
I like the picture on the cover

Ultimately Peters says LBJ is just below the top tier of Lincoln, FDR,Jefferson and Andrew Jackson of Presidents who shaped the country.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01862.html

Stephen Fox

Feb Baps Today Reading List

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:37 pm

Stephen Fox

Postby KeithE » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:04 pm

Lately I have read by R. Scott Thornton. Great book. Recognizes the teachings of Jesus in the Gospels as primary source of ethics and living a faithful life (more so than Paul, OT, etc). Jesus was very tolerant of "sinners" He came across and constantly encouraged them (and did not accuse them). So different than much of Chrisianity today. Really it is a thorough theology, ethical instruction (often very challenging) and primer on today's issues. Although it is fairly liberal in viewpoint, I would urge even conservatives to read this as there is something noteworthy and acceptable for all. A true prophet.

Among the 2-5 books I have read that have most shaped my theological thinking (I'll have to see how much this one sticks). HIghly recommended!
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:11 am

I've been enjoying Mark Hatfield's . It really underscores the verity of "Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!"

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:22 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:16 pm

[Haruo here, horning in on the Mrs's cookie] "The more it changes, the more it's the same thing." One of those French proverbs that you sometimes run across, untranslated, in English books (less often in American ones). The Rock in the title was Jesus, the hard place was Washington, DC. Regardless of what you think of the appropriateness of such "political" speech in church (and Hatfield did not view that as political speech), it's a fascinating read, and if you're my generation or older it'll take you back to the day; and you can get a used copy via Amazon for less than $5 postpaid. I don't think there's a Kindle version (yet?). Speaking of which , I have downloaded Amazon's free Kindle-for-PC software, so if any of you want to lend me you Kindle versions, I can at least take a stab at reading them.
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

PreviousNext

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum