[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - What are you Reading?!?!?!

What are you Reading?!?!?!

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

What are you Reading?!?!?!

Postby Tim Dahl » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:45 am

If you have a moment, please respond with:

1. The book you just finished.

2. What you are currently on.

3. What you are planning to read next.

Here are my answers to the questions:

1. "Leading Turnaround Churchs," by Gene Wood.
2. "Essentials for Life," by Marcia Ford.
3. "Real-Time Connections," by Bob Roberts, Jr.

Thanks!

Tim
Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Re: What are you Reading?!?!?!

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:17 pm

Texas Baptists Leadership and Social Christianity, 1900-1980 by John Storey (read that yesterday)

The Quiet Hand of God: Faith-Based Activism and the Public Role of Mainline Protestantism, edited by Robert Wuthnow (reading that today)

And if I lure myself away from tv/internet/email, I'll begin tomorrow with Revivalism and Social Reform by Timothy Smith.

I would like to read the new Brian McLaren book though!
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Sandy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:26 pm

1. Holy Discontent, by Bill Hybels
2. A New Kind of Christianity, by Brian McLaren (hopefully to finish in time for the conference I am attending with him at the end of April)
3. No Perfect People Allowed, by John Burke
Sandy

Postby Blake » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:12 pm

1. The Complete Works of Lewis Carroll
2. Dietrich Bonhoeffer: A Biography by Eberhard Bethge, The Spiritual Man by Watchman Nee, and Provocations: Spiritual Writings of Kierkegaard ed. by Charles Moore (I've got bookmarks in at least 15 other books, but those three are the ones I'm most actively reading).
3. Fiction from Tegel Prison (Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works, Vol. 7) by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby William Thornton » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:04 pm

Reading: Unbelievable: Investigations into Ghosts, Poltergeists, Telepathy, and Other Unseen Phenomena from the Duke Parapsychology Laboratory by Stacy Horn

Just finished: Maas, Peter Crude World: The Violent Twilight of Oil

Mancall, Peter Fatal Journey, The Final Days of Henry Hudson
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:12 pm

1. Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream by David Platt
2. Design and Analysis of Experiments by Douglas Montgomery
3. Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations by Alex Harris
"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Rash, Haneke, Remnick, Maraniss and Obama

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:24 pm

About Two months ago I was thoroughly entranced by Into the Story:

http://davidmaraniss.com/ His profile of his Uncle is haunting

I join NPR's Michelle Norris in hearty recommend of my friend Ron Rash's Serena, a Pen Faulkner nominee, one of three finalists for best work of fiction for 2008. I proudly own an autographed copy.
Looks like she chose it last summer, but won't hurt Thornton to read it this summer cause if he goes 100 miles North and 70 years back he's smack dab in the middle of the story with Preacher McIntyre
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =104739352

Currently I'm working my way through Remnick's The Bridge, best bio to date on President Obama

As for film, hope many of you will make a point to watch and read about Michael Haneke's The White Ribbon when it comes out on DVD this June. Google up the UK Guardian several stories and embedded clips

40 years I coulda used the obverse of Jonathan's Harris recommend which in my casewoulda been something about the tragedy of high aspirations :D :brick:
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby KeithE » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:19 pm

1. - great book with theological implications
2. - mostly conjecture so far (about 60% done) but I promised myself I woud read some book defending abiogenesis (aka as chemical evolution)
3. - already started and it is well written and balanced (gives both sides)
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:25 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:29 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:59 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:02 pm

"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Postby KeithE » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:30 pm

Last edited by KeithE on Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:35 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:01 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:06 am

Last frinished: Roger Olson's "Finding God in the Shack"

Reading now: Glenn Hinson's "Love at the Heart of Things: A Biography of Douglas Steere"

Next: McLaren's "A New Kind of Christianity"
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Dahl » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:26 pm

I downloaded "A New Kind of Christianity" yesterday. It is next up, pushing out Bob's book. It's difficult keeping up with you guys/gals!!!

Tim
Tim L. Dahl
Tim Dahl

Postby Chris » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:48 am

1. I started By my Own Reckoning" by Cecil Sherman. I had borrowed it from a resident at the Baptist Home and was so embarrassed that I had not finished it after 6 weeks, I returned it. I will probably never have time to finish it.

2. Currently reading Jane Ford's novel, which I started over two years ago.

3. Will next read Lamar Wadsworth's novel. Probably get to it in 2014.

I devote about 6 or 7 hours a year to "pleasure" reading. I have a greater need to read periodicals, so I can keep up with what is happening in the world (e.g. 1 or two daily newspapers --- YES, Sarah, I can actually NAME them --, 2 or three weekly magazines, 2 or three monthly magazines.) I work 40-44 hours per week, teach Sunday School (which requires a lot of preparation).

"Pleasure reading" makes me very tired, and I often fall asleep while reading (apologies to Jane). I have Jane's novel on the back seat of my car, so it goes wherever I am at the time. I forget it's there. If I had Cecil's book on my back seat, I would probably try to finish it first (apologies to Jane), since it reads like a periodical (lots of history about a subject that is really important to me).

Never quite appreciate the yearly question, "What are you reading this summer?" Often comes up on NPR's "Talk of the Nation", "Fresh Air", etc. How does anyone find more time to read in the summer then other times of the year? Okay. If you're a school teacher or professor and you don't teach summer school, I can see how you might be looking for something to occupy your time. But most of us aren't teachers. We keep working 40 hours/week all summer.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby KeithE » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:50 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Dahl » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:16 pm

I guess I should specify. I'm using the Kindle App for iPhone. So, I'm reading it on a little bitty screen at the moment. I'm sure that won't last past 40 or so. :)

Tim
Tim L. Dahl
Tim Dahl

Postby Haruo » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:36 pm

Mrs H and I went to Friends of the Library semiannual used book sale today. We bought 19 volumes at $1 a pop, and on the bus ride home I read (pretty much all the way through in a mixture of English and Spanish) Dialectología del Barrio, a Spanish-language essay on the linguistic features and influences of SW US Spanish, bound together with a really poorly edited English translation of itself. The English is so bad it's almost farsical, reminiscent of the English-for-Portuguese phrasebook entitled English as She Is Spoke. Little if any theological content or ramifications. Also got a treatise on Russian grammar, a life of Irving Berlin, a linked somehow with the "The Cat Who..." mystery novels, several home-repair do-it-yourselfer guidebooks, etc. Image Had a wonderful at the concession stand before the trek home. (The photo is someone else's product. Ballard Brothers' is much blacker, no greenery, and the onions are thoroughly caramelized.)
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Howard V » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:44 am

I'm currently reading The Essential Chesterton: An Anthology of the Thought of G. K. Chesterton. One of my friends in Georgia will soon be reading some of George MacDonald's works. In addition to that I'm reading the Book of Job in every translation I can lay hands on. We are studying Job in our Sunday School class.

I guess you could say I'm reading some older stuff.

Howard
Howard V

Postby Timsings » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:23 am

I've recently finished Shop Class as Soulcraft by Matthew Crawford.

Currently, I'm reading The Corrosion of Character by Richard Sennett; Civility by Stephen Carter; and The Long Fall by Walter Mosley.

I expect my next book will be Imagination in Place by Wendell Berry

Tim Reynolds
"So it is with every craftsman. . . . They maintain the fabric of this world, and the practice of their craft is their prayer." (Sirach 38.27, 34)

"I'm living with war everyday." (Neil Young) 12 years later, and still true.
Timsings

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:26 am

Tim:

I hope you can make time to read Kiri's book Traveling Home soon, on sacred Harp.

Saw Bud Oliver in the post office in Collinsville last week.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Timsings » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:43 pm

"So it is with every craftsman. . . . They maintain the fabric of this world, and the practice of their craft is their prayer." (Sirach 38.27, 34)

"I'm living with war everyday." (Neil Young) 12 years later, and still true.
Timsings

Next

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum