[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Financial Peace University?

Financial Peace University?

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Financial Peace University?

Postby Michael » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:39 pm

Financial Peace University, a financial management course designed by Dave Ramsey of Fox financial network, making its way in our area with new classes beginning soon in some mainline congregations. Have any of you participated in FPU? Any ideas, thoughts, etc.?
Michael
"Is this heaven?"
"No, it's Iowa."
"Iowa? I could have sworn this was heaven."
Michael

Re: Financial Peace University?

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:07 am

Never heard of it.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:21 am

We did it. It was fine, except I wouldn't use his promo DVD. It's the usual get out of debt, save money, etc etc. I didn't sit through it all but it's from a Christian perspective. He is a pretty good self promoter and the materials aren't cheap.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:18 am

I highly recommend it. William is correct about Ramsey's ability to self-promote (he has a daily 3 hour radio show, a 1 hour daily show in the Fox Business Network, he has an online subscription service for folks who want access to the archives of his radio show, multiple tiered pricing for his life events, etc...). But Ramsey has been one of the few consistent folks preaching not just the virtue of debt free living or how to get there but on how this lifestyle can benefit the people around you.

If you are considering taking a course, go to your local library and check out one of his books. Very easy and quick read and you'll get an understand of the steps that Ramsey prescribes. The purpose of the course seems to be developing a family atmosphere for accountability and encouragement.
"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Postby David Flick » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:08 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:06 am

My son has gone through Dave Ramsey's course and lives by it - that's why he and his family are living with us at this time. He promoted it at his UMC church and with his youth. He strongly believes the teaching is needed to be taught beginning in HS and emphasized to college students.

As for me, it is one good approach but not specifically "Christian" and not the only right way.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:18 pm

Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:20 pm

Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby William Thornton » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:05 pm

This is a little old but he covers the usual biblical components. Let's face it. Most church folks aren't going to sign up for some WSJ financial seminar. I'm for any plan that promotes responsible money management.

Ramsey and I are both greedy capitalist pigs. He products with that he sells. Don't buy it if you think it is too expensive.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:22 pm

Went through the course a few years ago. I'd agree that while there are some Biblical principles integrated into the course , its more common sense and logic. Admittedly, when it comes to money management, I needed some of both, and found it helpful, along with some other common sense from other sources.
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:48 pm

Random associations:
1) Today, at work, a coworker asked if I had ever heard of a Christian speaker named Dave Ramsey. I said I had heard the name but couldn't remember in what connection. (In hindsight, it may well have been this six-year-old thread that was my only exposure to him by name.)
2) This summer's North American Summer Courses in Esperanto are slated to be held in the infamous state of North Carolina ... at William Peace University.
3) Trump has given "University" when applied to something other than a University a bad name.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:40 am

I suspect that Ramsey, with his self-promotion and one-sided slant, is working in a vacuum of the lack of good money-management teaching in most churches and denominations. I have done a few things over the years in churches that seemed to feed a hunger that was not being met in curricular materials or church teaching. This is really all under the area of stewardship, but we in the church have too long been engaged in raising church funds rather than teaching people how to live both a responsible and generous lifestyle. That is now bearing fruit in the financial crises of churches and denominations, conservative and liberal alike. We live in a selfish culture that is concerned about "me and mine." Being responsibly generous is a rare idea for our culture.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:45 pm

Dave, I hear denominational people saying what you wrote but think they are deceiving themselves. It's not the lack of stewardship teaching in churches that has led to consumer debt and other family financial issues. I'd say it is the lack of parental teaching. Ramsey and other (most notably the departed Larry Burkett) have provided a platform for families to use.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:41 pm

Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:48 pm

The course hasn't been offered at my church. But Financial Peace University is a fairly popular program to offer in UMC churches in Iowa. I've not taken the class so I'm not the best judge of the program though I've heard good things from participants.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:50 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:29 am

Burkett died in 2003. He was a pioneer in church based financial counseling. I thought he went ridiculously apocalyptic in his latter days and I dropped his stuff.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:54 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:00 am

I found an interesting and thoughtful article on Dave Ramsey this morning:

What do you think of Evans' response?

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:12 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby ET » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:28 am

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:25 am

The hard core anti-credit attitude I think is a bit unrealistic in today's world. Many people would never own a home if they didn't take out a mortgage. Quite a few businesses expected you to spend your own funds and get reimbursed for business expenses. That is really tough if you can't use a credit card for such expenditures.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Cathy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:32 am

Cathy

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:46 am

One of the things I remember as advice from my dad was, "A poor man will never amount to anything unless he goes into debt. The only problem is being sure you know how you will pay it off." Absolutism in the realm of credit seems out of touch. However, we need to train people how to deal with these issues.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:58 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Next

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum