[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Baptist newspapers? Who wraps fish anymore?

Baptist newspapers? Who wraps fish anymore?

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Baptist newspapers? Who wraps fish anymore?

Postby William Thornton » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:58 am

In search of a provocative subject title, since yawns are what Baptist newspapers seem to elicit the most of these days anyhow.

The state Baptist papers are in decline and have been since 1977. Picture losing 500 subscribers daily for all those years. Baptist Planet's on the same.

Salient points: advertisers aren't much interested in web versions nor does it appear that sufficient people will pay for web versions. The geographic limit of the papers is out of date.

I've never paid to get a state paper. Maybe once in 30 years have I been in a church that paid for a mass subscription. But hey, our state convention can always prop up the state paper (looks like $71k/yr for my state, minor money).

I do find state papers to be useful in my keeping up with SBC news. The Christian Index (GA) watches NAMB pretty closely. The Florida Baptist Witness seems to have the GCRTF news first, and the NC paper does some good reporting too. But, here again, I get their stuff online, for free.

Baptist Planet seems to think that the LA paper is about to commit online suicide by charging a fee.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Baptist newspapers? Who wraps fish anymore?

Postby georgefrink » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:04 pm

georgefrink

Postby Bruce Gourley » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:23 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:26 pm

8) Except for brief quotes on this forum, I for one have never SEEN a Baptist newspaper, other than the Evergreen district newsletter. We don't even subscribe to our beloved Seattle Times any more because the papers pile up so high and we have to negotiate several flights of stairs to get to the recycle bin after its been read. I buy a copy at the corner newsstand if the picture on the front is scrapbook worthy -- but now that we are getting ready to move, I need it to pad breakables :lol: I read it on-line every day however.
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:14 pm

I think it's worth noting that the circulation of Baptist state papers started to tank a decade or better before most of us got on the Internet. My loss of interest in Baptist state papers coincided precisely with the loss of editorial freedom, the silencing of dissenting opinions, the inability to present all sides of controversial issues, and the change in purpose from covering denominational news to being a promotional piece. While the Internet has certainly contributed to the decline of Baptist state papers as it has contributed to the decline of ink-on-paper newspapers generally, I think the decline has had far more to do with the factors I cite.
Lamar Wadsworth

Location: Rockmart GA (on a slippery slope, between Aragon and VanWert, 6 miles SW of Taylorsville)

Postby georgefrink » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:53 pm

georgefrink

Postby William Thornton » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:19 pm

I can't say that any state paper I read during the years of SBC controversy was particularly unbiased.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby georgefrink » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:20 pm

georgefrink

Postby Bruce Gourley » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:36 pm

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby georgefrink » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:59 pm

georgefrink

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:19 pm

There are several things working against state Baptist papers. First, their focus is too narrow. Second, print media are not doing well in our present culture. Third, many of us get the news from Baptist sources, BP, ABC, BT, and others days to weeks before the state papers get it in print. Those that have any success seem to be trying to provide more analysis and thought and not just a rehash of all that BP or ABP puts out. To me, Baptists Today is much more relevant though I still read the state Baptist paper here.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:08 pm

I have been a subscriber to the Virginia Baptist paper - The Religious Herald since Dr. Pentacost was editor. I almost always read it cover to cover. Now that it has an alliance (of some kind) with the Texas Baptist paper, I find it even more interesting and there is more color. I think the annual subscription is about $23, but I would pay more, if asked to.

I also subscribe to the print edition of Baptists Today and also read it cover to cover. I consider it well worth the subscription cost. ..especially the Formations commentaries, because this gives me yet one more source of information to help prep my Sunday School lessons.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby georgefrink » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:54 am

georgefrink

Postby georgefrink » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:28 am

Pay walls promise to become real walls for Southern Baptist state newspapers. But there is which will work if the publication can inspire enough readers to believe the overarching service is worth sustaining.
The strategy adds what amounts to an offering-plate appeal to an enhanced product (which has to work flawlessly), without killing overall site usage by erecting a pay wall between users and any of the baseline content.
georgefrink

Postby Sandy » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:46 am

Sandy

Postby georgefrink » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:26 pm

georgefrink

Postby Chris » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:27 pm

Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum