[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - New Photo Story Thread...

New Photo Story Thread...

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

New Photo Story Thread...

Postby David Flick » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:38 am

I'm beginning a new Photo Story thread. The old PS thread is getting rather long and has been around since April. There appears to be enough interest in photo stories to warrant an new thread.

Here's an invitation to any and all who have photo stories to tell to share them with the BL.Com family. Jim's Robin family photo story in the old thread was most interesting to me. This thread, as was the other one, is a place for light enjoyment rather than intense debate. It will not be threatened by global warming, Sarah Palin, carbon credit scams, Michael Jackson, single payer health care reforms, Texas Baptist Committed squabbles, SBC takeover debates, etc. etc... Don't be shy. If you have a photo story, please share it with us.

I have several photo stories in the works and will be posting them as time permits.
. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Re: New Photo Story Thread...

Postby David Flick » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:48 am

A lot of water flows under the under the bridge in the space of five years. Here's how five years of time has changed two members of Watonga Indian Baptist Church. The changes are obvious.

. . .Image. . .Image
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2004. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2009

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2007

The boy is Ethan Brooks. When I became pastor of WIBC in 2002, Ethan helped me lead the singing. Three years later, he declared that he wanted to be . He enjoys standing in front of people and continues to express interest in preaching. I'd love that. He's at the whenever and wherever there's a line. His great-grandmother, , is the church matriarch. She sings a Cheyenne hymn during every offertory.

The last seven years of my ministry have been the most satisfying of my career. Watching Ethan grow and mature is a supreme joy. God has blessed me through this young Cheyenne boy.
. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:14 am

. . . . . . . .

. . . . . .Image

On Saturday, July 25th, I attended a for Kathryn Hoffman from Hammon. I have known her all of my life. She had her 93 birthday on Friday. Her children, all of whom I attended school with at in the 1950s, sponsored the celebration dance at the at . Concho is 105 miles east of Hammon.

After leaving the dance to return to Enid, I stopped by the for a Coke and a bottle of water. The cafe is located in the administrative building of the the . The tribal headquarters are located at the . The two streets are named for prominent Cheyenne Chiefs, and .

Red Moon was chief of a band of Cheyenne whose camp was along the north bank Washita River about 6 miles northeast of Hammon and about 5 miles east of my childhood home. () He died in 1901 and is in a cemetery 1.4 miles from my childhood home. In 1894, six years before his death, government established a for Indian children in the area. The school, built under the direction of Indian Agent, James H. Hammon, was named for Chief Red Moon. The town of Hammon is named for the Indian Agent.

Red Moon is buried a quarter of a mile southwest of the site where the school was located. Standing by the Red Moon's headstone in the cemetery, it is possible to locate the exact spot on which the school stood. was taken by Red Moon's headstone. The small clump of trees in the center of the field, straight below the cloud, in the center of the photo, is the location where the school stood. The trees surround what remains of the foundation of the school. My childhood home is located 1.4 miles behind the trees on the left in the photograph.

Being a proud Hammonite, I wear a memorial belt buckle with "" engraved on it. The buckle depicts the founding of the Red Moon Camp in 1880. I have a personalized tag for my pickup with "" engraved on it.

Chief Black Kettle was killed by Custer's men in a massacre in the on the south bank Washita River west of Cheyenne, about 15 miles from Wade McCoy's childhood home. () The attack, led by Lt. Col. George A. Custer, occurred just before dawn on November 27, 1868. Several of the chief's decedents live in Hammon today. They are my friends.

Continuing with the story about the cafe. The dining section will seat only . There is no dividing wall between the kitchen and the dining room. The proprietor is , who lives in Geary, which is located of Concho. Mike is a personable fellow and a delight to visit with. Including the kitchen, the cafe has probably 400 sq ft of space. The , posted above the entry way into the kitchen, contains some delicious sounding items with Custeresque names. No reputable cafe would be without appropriate tee shirts for advertisement. Eskimo Joe's near the Oklahoma State university Campus is perhaps the most famous of all restuaraunt advertisement. Yes, Eskimo Joe has his , but not to be out done, Custer's Last Stand Cafe .

It may seem odd that a cafe with Custer's name would be found on the street named for the man he killed. While Custer ruthlessly massacred Chief Black Kettle's camp of Cheyenne women and children at Cheyenne, OK on that fateful cold November morning in 1868, the Cheyenne warriors, joined their Lakota Sioux brothers and returned the favor on June 25 and June 26, 1876, eight year later at the in Montana. On the south wall of the cafe hangs Custer's last stand. The artist who painted was .

Custer's Last Stand Cafe doesn't celebrate what Custer did to Black Kettle and his people. Rather the cafe celebrates the victory of the Cheyenne and Sioux over the Custer and his soldiers. In the window is a humorous poster depicting what might have been . I mused a bit the at the irony of Black Kettle getting the last laugh in the world of the dead and eternity... Custer had it coming and he got it but good.

If you're ever in Oklahoma and driving US Highway 81 between El Reno and Okarche, take a left at the top of the hill five miles north of El Reno. Drive one mile down the cedar-lined road to the administrative building of the Tribal headquarters and find . The points the way. Only in Oklahoma will you find a place like this. You won't be disappointed.
. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:40 pm

The title of this picture is Pickup's Last Stand. I only massaged two pickups whilst running freight trains, and I think this was the first. Cows, deer, trees and automobiles were another matter. Advice: The train always wins.
Attachments
#229-wreck1.jpg
Polaroid courtesy of State Trooper.
Jim

Postby David Flick » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:02 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Mwangi » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:11 pm

I love the story this picture seems to tell. It two of my kids (I have 5 by the way) taken by one of our guests on her fancy camera that does fancy things...ohhh. But it just seems to capture the old adage; somethings just never change.
David Mwangi

Postby David Flick » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:25 pm

Great photo, DavidM! The expression on your son's face is interesting. He seems to be saying to his sister, "Bug off, Sis, I'm wearin' the boots in this house and this his is my chair. I ain't givin' it up until I'm good an' ready."

I can't read the expression on your daughter's face but her body language seems to say, "Okay by me, Bub, but I'm gonna stand here and stare you down until you leave and I'll sit in it. "

I would love to hear the story the photo seems to tell. How about telling us the story from the father's point of view? After you've told the story, you may claim this spur... :D

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image
. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Mwangi » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:26 pm

David Mwangi

Postby David Flick » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:10 am

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Focusing on learning...

Today at , we had a different kind of service. Pubic schools in Oklahoma opened last week. , a member of WIBC and who is the for the Cheyenne & Arapaho Tribes of Oklahoma, organized a service wherein our church gave away school supplies (paper, pencils, notebook binders, crayons, school glue, etc) to children who returned to school for the '09-'10 school year.

I preached a short sermon about the importance education & learning. Following the sermon we had a light lunch for all who attended. Quinton's son, Chris, a recent graduate of the University of Oklahoma and now employed by Oklahoma City University, working with Native American students on the OCU campus, spoke briefly to the children. After Chris spoke to the children, we gave the school supplies to them. In our estimation, it was a very good day at WIBC

. . . . . . . . .Image
. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Mwangi » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:43 am

I like the focus on learning. I have heard so many kids say "I'll just go on welfare like my Dad and fish all day" (this was in Missouri). Here at my school some kids are on the property waiting for school at least an hour early. I wish more kids had that drive to learn.
David Mwangi

Mwangi's photo

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:27 pm

I liked it too.

Got my picture taken Saturday at FaSoLa singing 2 miles up on the mtn. Tim Reynolds who frequents this board was down from Nashville with a Frost whose great grandfather founded the BSSB.
A cousin on the Jordan side is in photo as well.
Tim said he would get it up here on Bl.com for us soon.
Sfox
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

J. M. Frost

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:01 pm

Mark

Postby David Flick » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:37 am

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Several years ago (can't remember the year) I attended a CBF General Assembly in Atlanta. Several BaptistLifers attended that general assembly. We had lunch together. (Michael Davis, Stephen Fox, Bruce Gourley, Ed & Trudy Pettibone, Alan Roper, Lamar Wadsworth, and yours truly)

The next day, Bruce treated the BL.Com moderating staff to lunch at another restaurant. William, staunch SBCer that he is, was attempting to keep a low profile at a CBF meeting and didn't join us at the lunch. But he was present at the moderator's lunch. () I bought Fox's lunch and had a good time watching him wolf it down while he ... :lol:

After the close of the general assembly, Alan and I drove out to Rockmart, on that slippery slope between Aragon and VanWert, 6 miles SW of Taylorsville, and visited with Lamar. I snapped of Lamar and Alan standing by his classic '38 Ford pickup. I'm a partial to Ford pickups and I'm here to tell you that Lamar's '38 is one of the finest I've ever seen. Yesterday, Lamar sent me a recent photograph of his pickup. I'm posting it for everybody to see.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Image

Thanks for sending the photo, Lamar. Drive that beauty out to Oklahoma and visit me. You can drive it to the best BBQ place in Enid and I'll buy you a rack of ribs...
. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:36 pm

What a purdy, purdy truck!!!!!!
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Tim

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:28 pm

Reynolds at Lomax FaSoLa Historic recording

http://www.gadsdentimes.com/apps/pbcs.d ... s=Itemnr=9

Stephen Fox

Re: Tim

Postby David Flick » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:38 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:52 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:31 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:17 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:47 am

What a fascinating story! I am looking forward to part 2.
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:45 pm

Ed: David I have inquired baout this in another thread but don't think I ever got an answer. Why is it that when I go to some of you photo links I get a full scree picture and yet at other times a picture that is less than half sized and when I go out of that link all BL.C is reduced to less than half screen? To get back to full screen I must leave BL.C and come back in. It is not a problem when you post a picture such as you and the newborn child but it was with the one of the 55 Ford.

Addendum: I just discovered that when you post a picture directly to the board I have no problem. it is with your links that I have a problem. I have the same problem when I try to post a photo link. I think it is somewhere in the tags.

Does any one else have this problem? And does any one have a solution?.

Speaking of the neat looking Ford, those sun-visors a drag on gas millage. A college friend of mine had a 56 Chevy that new, was getting 16 MPG, he took off the sun visor and it went up to 18 sometimes 19 with a tailwind. Frequently we took my 53 Studebaker on road trips because it consistently got 20 - 21 MPG. Then I bought a 55 Plymouth that only got 18.
Ed Pettibone

Postby David Flick » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:57 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:28 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:03 pm

Ed Pettibone

Hands up in Grham's Town Hall

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:10 pm

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pb ... =Itemnr=36

Looks like the crowd became electric in this event at Furman where Graham's Christianity was questioned just like the fundies used to question the religion faculties orthodoxy before Furman forced to split with the SBC

See the Parham thread for more

This one pretty good too, number 45 or so.
I think's that's my brother who lives in the area with the touchdown question up :)
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pb ... =Itemnr=45

Stephen Fox

Next

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum