[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - ABP Op-Ed: Was Jesus A Racist?

ABP Op-Ed: Was Jesus A Racist?

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Marcus Borg

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:39 pm

Will Speak at Furman March 19.
If the economic crisis doesn't tsunami me between now and then--could happen anyday-- I will make it a point to ask him a question framed in this discussion.
Will give you a report then, if I make it there.
Made it up last year and got notice

http://www.religiondispatches.org/archi ... an_faculty
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: ABP Op-Ed: Was Jesus A Racist?

Postby William Thornton » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:05 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:55 am

Good thing for all of us he got a good night's sleep on Wednesday... or Gethsemane could have been a wash...
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:57 am

"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Postby Jim » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:30 am

De la Torres’ piece was written primarily as a condemnation of this country accruing to his opinion regarding its lack of concern for illegal immigrants, and he backed that condemnation by using scripture, presumably affirming that Christ did not innately recognize racism in himself, the inference to be drawn simply that racism was/is sin, though it is not defined as sin in the dictionary. De la Torres defined it as sin, or at least implied that it is. Whether or not it is sin is a judgment anyone can make. Believing that one person or race is superior/inferior to another is not in itself sinful, just a circumstance that one can, on his own, give validity, or not. Sin may occur as a result of that belief, i.e., mistreatment, but the belief itself is not sinful.

But De la Torres actually could not accuse Christ of racism because he could not know the mind of Christ, or that of anyone else, since in the mind is where racism exists. He accused Christ of willful sin in ignoring the importuning of the woman and gave as the reason that Christ was racist, but had an epiphany in the episode, realizing his racism and, presumably, mended his ways. De la Torres actually accused Christ not of racism but of sin, and even he might balk at that accusation.

All the efforts to drag Christ down and make him “just like us” with respect to either racism or sin, such as determining whether or not he had ever done anything good for Gentiles prior to the episode used in Matthew 15, is silly. The gospel-writers, whether or not on-scene like Matthew and John, lived at the same time, regardless of when they wrote, so that for them the chronology was as they experienced it. This means that Matthew, unless he purposely decided to inject into his reasonably chronological account an event that occurred before Christ had done anything (for reasons of his own?), tried to tell it like it was.

This leaves the believer the task of actually ferreting out the meaning of the Matthew 15 event. That’s harder than just accusing Christ of “being one of the boys” or having an epiphany.
Jim

Postby Haruo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:24 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:25 pm

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:19 pm

Jim

Euro Centric Canon

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:52 pm

http://www.ethicsdaily.com/news.php?viewStory=13827

Wondering if any of yall would want to help me understand what you think De La Torre is gettin at here with his reference to the Euro Centric Canon.

And if any of you learned bright lights would wade into a speculation about what you think NT Wright would make of De La Torre's assertions here.

http://www.ethicsdaily.com/news.php?viewStory=13827

Stephen Fox

Postby Jim » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:27 pm

De la Torre: My intelligence is challenged by students (as well as by some faculty and administrators) when I allow the spirituality of marginalized communities to inform and impact my scholarship.

J: The entire article bespeaks a chip the size of the Empire State Building on this guy’s shoulder. In the statement above, he has things backward. His scholarship should inform and impact the spirituality of marginalized communities, not the other way around. It’s no wonder his intelligence is challenged. If he thinks his way is better, then why bother with scholarship at all…just go with the flow? One thing’s for sure…he doesn’t like Europeans and Americans.
Jim

Postby Haruo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:33 pm

In a general way, and not having read any of his books, just a few online articles, I would take his use of "the Eurocentric canon" to refer basically to the assumption in academic circles that academic excellence, rigor, seriousness, etc., are to be defined and measured only, or at least primarily, in ways devised in Europe and in Euro-American institutions, with its corollaries, the devaluing of the academic excellence, rigor, seriousness, etc., that has been devised from non-Eurocentric positions. I'm going to get the Baptists and Racism DVD, looks like it should be worth the money. Hopefully somebody in Evergreen has one I can borrow, though. ;-)

I have no idea what NT Wright (or Jeremiah Wright, for that matter) would make of it.

Those really interested in this subject may also get something out of the lengthy thread (211 posts at this point) in the Mudcat Café that came out of the AG's "nation of cowards" remark: ("BS:", at the Mudcat, just means the topic is not about music, no reflection on the quality of the discourse.

As for Jim's take, I pretty much entirely disagree. There is no reason why he should let Jim dictate the direction of flow and impact of spirituality in the interplay between marginalized communities and his scholarship. He didn't say he thought his way was better. He said he thought it was his way. He doesn't dislike (as far as I can tell) Europeans and Americans per se (he is, after all, American himself), but he's fed up to here with being expected to be European (or act as if) in order to be taken seriously as a scholar and/or as a Christian.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:44 pm

Incidentally, does anyone know where De la Torre is from? As in, where he was born, and (if he was born outside the US) when he came here. I'm guessing he's either Puertorriqueño or Cubano, but I don't really have any basis for that except that his academic career (from his Iliff Faculty webpage and his CV) appears to have started in Florida, and the fact that there was a colonial governor of Puerto Rico in the 1820s named ... I told Jim he was an American himself, but I really don't know in what sense. (For all I know, he could be from Iberia, could be maintaining his Spanish citizenship.) The online bio materials don't speak to the point that I can see.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:09 pm

Jim

Maybe turn this

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:07 pm

Thread into an erstwhile catchall for miscellaneous topics now that Haruo has linked us to the Mudcat Cafe.

For any takers out there I offer

http://www.religiondispatches.org/archi ... l_muslims/

and

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/22470

Haruo; would be delighted if you introduce the Metronatural America topic at Mudcat Cafe and offer us a translation and analysis of How it plays there.
I want badly to see the movie, but haven't gotten my hands on it yet; same for Frozen River.

Stephen Fox

Postby Haruo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:06 pm

Thanks Fox but I have enough on my hands taking potshots at the threads others start.

Haruo
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum